Sell Grados for Sony?
May 8, 2009 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Raguvian

1000+ Head-Fier
I bought Grado SR80's about 4 months ago and I really loved them at first for their awesome sound. However, the little things are starting to annoy me, like the fact that it doesn't feel like it is very sturdy. I don't like to carry it around with me outside for that reason and I end up using it with my computer only.

It's still in perfect condition and I want to sell it. I have the original box/packing and everything? How much do you think I could sell it for? I want to get about $70-75 for it. Is that a realistic price?

I also want to buy Sony MDR-V6's, since I've read that they sound pretty good and they are very sturdy. How do they sound compared to the SR80's? I could put another $20 on top of the money I get for the Grado's and spend about $95 max. Are there any other over ear headphones (open or closed, doesn't matter) I should consider?

Is it even worth selling my SR80's?

May 8, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #2 of 12
It is not worth selling the SR80, especially for the MDR-V6. A better solution would be to keep the SR80 for home use and get something like a Sennheiser PX100 for portable use. The PX100 is under $40 from Amazon and under $30 from some Amazon sellers. The PX100 is great for portable use. The cord is shorter and much more convenient for portable use than the Grado. I call my PX100 my baby Grado.

Avoid the MDR-V6. It has its supporters here, but to my ears it is not a headphone meant for music listening. It is a monitoring headphone intended for monitoring audio out in the field or (gasp) in a studio for musicians when a closed headphone is needed.

I used a V6 all through college thinking it sounded good. That was before I knew any better that headphones can sound better than that. The V6 plays games with imaging in your head. It is one of the only headphones I have ever used that messes up binaural sound effects. A standard Sony ear bud does binaural effects better than the V6. The V6 is a complete mind game.

May 8, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is not worth selling the SR80, especially for the MDR-V6. A better solution would be to keep the SR80 for home use and get something like a Sennheiser PX100 for portable use. The PX100 is under $40 from Amazon and under $30 from some Amazon sellers. The PX100 is great for portable use. The cord is shorter and much more convenient for portable use than the Grado. I call my PX100 my baby Grado.

Avoid the MDR-V6. It has its supporters here, but to my ears it is not a headphone meant for music listening. It is a monitoring headphone intended for monitoring audio out in the field or (gasp) in a studio for musicians when a closed headphone is needed.

I used a V6 all through college thinking it sounded good. That was before I knew any better that headphones can sound better than that. The V6 plays games with imaging in your head. It is one of the only headphones I have ever used that messes up binaural sound effects. A standard Sony ear bud does binaural effects better than the V6. The V6 is a complete mind game.

Thanks for the input.

I've seen the PX100's before and I'm not a huge fan of those headphones. I already have in ear headphones that I can use for portable use, I just want some over ear headphones that are more durable and better constructed than my Grados.

What other options would I have in the $70-75 range that are like the V6?

May 8, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #4 of 12
I don't have any good suggestions. I haven't been following the headphone options in that price range and style. The JVC HA-RX700 & HA-RX900 are a current FOTM that might be worth checking out.

May 8, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 12
In my experience despite how they feel, if you take care not to completely bludgen them, Grados will hold up well as a portable phone. Just browse the forms a lot as there are lots of cans in that price range, and things like source, genre, sonic taste will come into play.

V6s are ok, but you can do better.

May 8, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

I don't have any good suggestions. I haven't been following the headphone options in that price range and style. The JVC HA-RX700 & HA-RX900 are a current FOTM that might be worth checking out.

as far as anybody can tell the HAR-X700 and 900 are discontinued. I don't think anybody has received a new one in quite a while from a retailer.

May 8, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

i disagree. i personally think that the v6 is better sounding than the sr80 for portable use. the v6, in terms of sound quality is pretty close to the sr225. i would say it's probably in the same league as the sr125. i used to have a pair of sr80's and they are excellent phones but they always tended to be a bit harsh for portable use. it's true that the imaging isn't that good on the v6, but they are excellent stereo phones regardless. excellent design, built, comfort.

can't say about the JVC's. they also have a great following here. i would say you can't go wrong with either the v6 or the rx700/900's. though the rx700 seems to be a better bargain.

May 9, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i disagree. i personally think that the v6 is better sounding than the sr80 for portable use. the v6, in terms of sound quality is pretty close to the sr225. i would say it's probably in the same league as the sr125. i used to have a pair of sr80's and they are excellent phones but they always tended to be a bit harsh for portable use. it's true that the imaging isn't that good on the v6, but they are excellent stereo phones regardless. excellent design, built, comfort.

LOL, the V6 can only dream about being half as good as the SR60. TC, have you considered the ES7?

May 9, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, the V6 can only dream about being half as good as the SR60. TC, have you considered the ES7?

ok, well i'm not gonna argue with you. and i'm not here to promote the v6. i'm just here to give advice based on my personal experience. and no, it's the other way around. to me, the SR60 is only half as good as the v6. no dreaming involved.

May 9, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raguvian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought Grado SR80's about 4 months ago and I really loved them at first for their awesome sound. However, the little things are starting to annoy me, like the fact that it doesn't feel like it is very sturdy. I don't like to carry it around with me outside for that reason and I end up using it with my computer only.

It's still in perfect condition and I want to sell it. I have the original box/packing and everything? How much do you think I could sell it for? I want to get about $70-75 for it. Is that a realistic price?

I also want to buy Sony MDR-V6's, since I've read that they sound pretty good and they are very sturdy. How do they sound compared to the SR80's? I could put another $20 on top of the money I get for the Grado's and spend about $95 max. Are there any other over ear headphones (open or closed, doesn't matter) I should consider?

Is it even worth selling my SR80's?

Your joking right? There is NOTHING that Sony can do that Grado doesn't totally destroy. They are incredibly sturdy headphones. I've had mine for a couple years (SR125s) before I upgraded to SR325is headphones and they were still mint when I sold them.

My buddy still has his SR80s from 7 years ago and they are still in phenomenal shape.

May 9, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #11 of 12
Hate to break it to you, but almost half of all headphones never really feel sturdy, but they are, unless you plan on stomping on them, then they loose their sturdiness
smily_headphones1.gif

Soo..... I guess decent sound means thin plastic?

May 9, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #12 of 12
I do own both and I love the grados but in my opinion the V-6's burned-in & amped sound way better. It all comes down to sound sig preference, agressive mids (grado) or slightly bright but balanced (sonys). The sony's are way more comfortable too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back