Sell beats studios for AKG Q701's???? Other???
May 18, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

AKG 70x would probably be the last imaginable choice I would make for electronic music.  They're excellent headphones, no doubt, but they're very flat, analytical, detailed, and very flat/thin on the bass (they have good natural bass, but not much bass presence, it's equally flat with the rest of the frequency.)  Strike that, they would be the last imaginable choice behind Beats, which despite being far bassier has no detail and lots of bass bloom.

I think you need to decide a few facts before everyone can provide any meaningful suggestion:  Do you need isolation (closed back) quasi attenuation (semi-closed), or is full open back ok?  Fully Open may not be the route to go if lots of bass is important anyway, with the exceptions of maybe HiFiman HE-400 (or Audeze LCD-2 if you don't mind upping the price to $1k.)

Also, do you need them to be portable, or will these be used full size with an amplifier (or built in amp with a mixing board, etc.)

Yes i will need them to be close backed as i plan on using them for normal Ipod use as well.. Im looking for something deffinatly portable in the 250 range. I am in no way an audiophile so i dont need perfect headphones, But somethinng easier to make music with. If it helps i have been able to make dubsteps with my beats.. If you need any more info let me know. I use Fl Studios and record my own drums and ect into the mixes. Thanks!

May 18, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #17 of 18
LP2 might be great then.  Not at all a neutral headphone, but as they say, if you can get your work to sound in your headphones the way your favorite songs do, then you're doing okay.  And the LP2 would probably be great for listening to your favorite music.

As a plus (for me anyway) they sound great out of my iPhone, better with some amping, and easy to field-service if you're into that.  I particularly like that you can get a smartphone cable or an audio cable from v-moda, and they're great cables at an unbelievable price.

As for the vague advice I just laid out about producing or mixing music to sound good, that certainly goes for just about any headphone you could ever use to mix.  And nearfields, and car speakers, your mom, and so forth.

M-100 might not be worth the higher price tag for what you wanna do, and has less-emphasized bass, might have smoother mids (from what Val said), and more treble extension.  LP2 is more affordable, has just about the same solid construction, and will present electronic music the way you probably would like it presented.  One of the pitfalls of professional headphones... they're not exactly what most people would use when they want to enjoy their tunes.  But in the end the choice is yours to find the headphones you want to work with, the ones you want to play with, and whether those will be one and the same.

May 19, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #18 of 18
Quote:
LP2 might be great then.  Not at all a neutral headphone, but as they say, if you can get your work to sound in your headphones the way your favorite songs do, then you're doing okay.  And the LP2 would probably be great for listening to your favorite music.

As a plus (for me anyway) they sound great out of my iPhone, better with some amping, and easy to field-service if you're into that.  I particularly like that you can get a smartphone cable or an audio cable from v-moda, and they're great cables at an unbelievable price.

As for the vague advice I just laid out about producing or mixing music to sound good, that certainly goes for just about any headphone you could ever use to mix.  And nearfields, and car speakers, your mom, and so forth.

M-100 might not be worth the higher price tag for what you wanna do, and has less-emphasized bass, might have smoother mids (from what Val said), and more treble extension.  LP2 is more affordable, has just about the same solid construction, and will present electronic music the way you probably would like it presented.  One of the pitfalls of professional headphones... they're not exactly what most people would use when they want to enjoy their tunes.  But in the end the choice is yours to find the headphones you want to work with, the ones you want to play with, and whether those will be one and the same.

Yeah i know you usually want  a more clear and balanced sound with studio work :p but i really need the portability. Ill look into the LP2's a bit more then

Users who are viewing this thread

Back