Self-Built Headphone stand - What do you think?
Dec 13, 2003 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

dffman2001

100+ Head-Fier
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Hard Maple on mahagony base - leather strip on top somewhat matches the leather wrapping of the Grado headphones

UPDATE!!!

there is now a new round base.... along with all the new goodies that i got since my last post here! (yes, i'm showing off.... its not like you dont!
wink.gif
)

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

q1.jpg

q2.jpg

q3.jpg

q4.jpg

q5.jpg

q6.jpg

Dec 13, 2003 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 44
NICE!!
i wish i got power tools at home to do that
frown.gif

Dec 13, 2003 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 44
nice work.
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2003 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 44
Very nice stand, I think you could make it even better in the future with your skills.

Dec 13, 2003 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 44
Very nice work! GlowWorm, I think its on about a 10" square base already.

Dec 13, 2003 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 44
Looks great. Now complete the picture by getting rid of those bowl pads
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2003 at 8:05 AM Post #10 of 44
Nice work.

Not a big fan of the "trophy" stand look of the routered base.

But I love the leather strip at the top. Good for gripping and protection.

Oh, and a third smaller hole at the bottom would make the design look more purposeful. With three holes getting progressively smaller towards the bottom. Just my design critique.

-Ed

Dec 14, 2003 at 10:12 AM Post #11 of 44
Thanks guys for your feedback! It took me quite a while to make this. This is the first time i've done any woodworking so quality is a bit off... (the holes aren't quite aligned if you look at it straight, and the base of the tower isn't quite flat - which is why it looks unattached)

Quote:

Oh, and a third smaller hole at the bottom would make the design look more purposeful. With three holes getting progressively smaller towards the bottom. Just my design critique.

I have actually thought about putting a third hold, but the boring set i have doesnt quite go small enough that it would look balanced, but i think in the near future, it may be added. And, yes the leather is extremly functional. I added it because the headphones were slipping off... I'm happy I found a good solution.

Dec 14, 2003 at 2:39 PM Post #12 of 44
Very nice work, d.

Dec 14, 2003 at 3:44 PM Post #13 of 44
Great stand dffman2001!
I really like your design - massive wood with holes inside. My only little remark: The "leg" is a bit thin (or the trophy stand is too big). Otherwise really a work of art!

Dec 14, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by dffman2001
I have actually thought about putting a third hold, but the boring set i have doesnt quite go small enough that it would look balanced, but i think in the near future, it may be added. And, yes the leather is extremly functional. I added it because the headphones were slipping off... I'm happy I found a good solution.

Always a good excuse to get a new small forstner bit.
wink.gif

-Ed

Dec 14, 2003 at 6:52 PM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Karlosak
Great stand dffman2001!
I really like your design - massive wood with holes inside. My only little remark: The "leg" is a bit thin (or the trophy stand is too big). Otherwise really a work of art!

Yes, Come to think of it, a round base would look better than the square one. Think Oscar trophy.

But the top shape is the best. Leather to grip and protect, and the large radius shape to prevent deforming of the headband by spreading the contact area that a peg or rod would not.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back