Selecting your first turntable setup - Get the biggest bang for your buck - Keep it under $2000
Feb 10, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #16 of 185

1. We just bought a Rega RP3 (Clearaudio artist cartridge).
  2. I suggest that you read what billybob_jcv wrote and take it very serious.
  3. OTOH, my wife loves the turntable (but she also has no problems leaving the LPs on the table for DAYS
    eek.gif
     ). So you just learned, who is going to keep them dust and static free.

Congrats on your purchase. Any chance you can post a couple of pics of your table? Even phone pics. Was the price reasonable for what you ended up paying for this?

Feb 10, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #17 of 185
The RP3 and the cartridge was a package for 998 Euros. We added a phono amp (Graham Slee) for another 300 and we also needed a rca cable (used for 67). Since we are in Europe, I guess our prices don't compare to US prices. For you it may be a better idea to find an American brand, not a European. Too much money blown for transport, duties and importers cut.

The RP3 is an ok player, but a bit more plastic than I anticipated. If I had to choose again, I'd buy an RP40 or an RP6.

I can make a few photos, perhaps over the weekend. Sorry, but my phone camera is really bad. I have a nice Leica. I hope that's ok too. Patience, bro...

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #18 of 185
The entire vinyl cleaning ritual was so tiresome. You have to remember the context. There was no internet, no youtube, no DAPs, no PC audio. Your choices were vinyl, cassette, 8-track, reel-to-reel or FM radio. I couldn't afford a reel-to-reel, so if you wanted excellent sound, you went with vinyl. So, EVERYTIME you wanted hear to your favorite band, you had to:

1) Pull the album out of the rack
2) Pull the sleeve out of the cardboard cover
3) Touching ONLY the extreme outer edges and the paper label, slide the album out of the sleeve
4) Carefully place the album on the turntable
5) Grab your discwasher brush and fluid
6) Put fluid on the brush and carefully clean the album by wiping the brush with the groves while turning the album
7) Using the dry side of the brush, repeat the wipe to remove all traces of liquid off the album
8) Using you needle brush, clean the needle
9) Start the turntable and use the fine adjust to set the speed just perfect
10) Place the needle on the album

etc. (…)

I do see your points. I grew up in the 70s and I clearly remember, how complicated it was (except, I didn't really care, just wanted to listen to the latest led zep).
Today, I care for good sound. 
Know, what?
Since we have that turntable, my exceptionally great sounding CD player is sitting unused (don't talk about the 100 GB on my disk). I tried to understand why, and it is BECAUSE of the extra care that is needed (I guess).
I see both me and my wife sitting, listening and staring at the spinning disk (and the glowing tubes). All this, including the preparations, helps to delve much deeper into the music. You don't simply start the music, because it is easy, you do it only if you are really prepared to listen.
I tend to drift off very quickly, if I start a digital file. To prevent drifting off, I set my CD player to count back the time of the piece it is playing. That helps a bit. But it is nothing compared to the ritual and staring at the spinning vinyl disk, hoping it will not click or pop.

beerchug.gif

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #19 of 185
The RP3 and the cartridge was a package for 998 Euros. We added a phono amp (Graham Slee) for another 300 and we also needed a rca cable (used for 67). Since we are in Europe, I guess our prices don't compare to US prices. For you it may be a better idea to find an American brand, not a European. Too much money blown for transport, duties and importers cut.

The RP3 is an ok player, but a bit more plastic than I anticipated. If I had to choose again, I'd buy an RP40 or an PR6.

I can make a few photos, perhaps over the weekend. Sorry, but my phone camera is really bad. But I have a nice Leica. I hope that's ok too. Patience, bro...

Lol...fair enough. That's a nice cam my friend. My compact is a Fuji xe-1, stunning. My full pro one is a 5d mk iii, killer shots but mainly semi-pro and serious photoshoots. I enjoy the laziness of the xe1.

Interestingly enough, I travel quite a bit and do work abroad. The frequency and voltage of power is a serious consideration for those wanting to order online. For example US turntables are made to run on US voltage and frequency (60hz) and getting a power converter will not solve the problem. The record speed will not be right, so buyers BE WARE!

I look forward to seeing your photos sir...in the meantime the hunt continues

Feb 14, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #20 of 185
I noticed a lot of views on the thread but low postings indicating interest in the developments; so here are links of the bill of materials I built:

Carbon Debut with 2M cartridge ($399):
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-13086-Debut-Carbon-Black/dp/B007XTE6YW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1423898309&sr=8-4&keywords=2M+project+carbon+debut

This Phono stage ($179):
http://www.amazon.com/PRO-JECT-PHONO-BOX-Mk2-SILVER/dp/B000CS438K/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423898390&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=project+phono+mk2+black

Digital weight scale ($68):
http://www.amazon.com/Dynavox-Electric-Tonearm-Scales-Black/dp/B0047ZGUMQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423898434&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=weight+scale+for+tonearm+cartridge

Alignment protractor ($20):
http://www.amazon.com/CA-001-Cartridge-Alignment-Protractor/dp/B00IRDIEG4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1423898538&sr=8-3&keywords=cartridge+alignment+protractor

Anti-static brush ($19):
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Brush-Carbon-Fiber-Record/dp/B000YEI3WE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423898574&sr=8-1&keywords=project+brush+it

Total investment: $685 - way below the original goal of $2,000 keeping a lot of cash for records.

Feb 14, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #21 of 185
FWIW, the same digital scale can be had on ebay for ~$25, sometimes less. The protractor is fine, I have a similar one, and I'd also suggest a Mo-Fi Geodisc, if it''s available. It makes setting overhang a snap. The Hunt brush is the best I'be used in ~40 years of turntable ownership. The rest of the gear is fine for a quality beginner setup. Good luck.

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #22 of 185
FWIW, the same digital scale can be had on ebay for ~$25, sometimes less. The protractor is fine, I have a similar one, and I'd also suggest a Mo-Fi Geodisc, if it''s available. It makes setting overhang a snap. The Hunt brush is the best I'be used in ~40 years of turntable ownership. The rest of the gear is fine for a quality beginner setup. Good luck.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will look into the scale on eBay as well.

The tonearm on the Debut Carbon looks really cool by the way. It seems they have done a good job in keeping it light and coupling it with a decent cart, albeit the bottom rung of Ortofon, nonetheless, its still an ortofon.

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #23 of 185
I purchased the items as outlined in this post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/750575/selecting-your-first-turntable-setup-get-the-biggest-bang-for-your-buck-keep-it-under-2000/15#post_11320729

I received the record player and all the supplies. Total investment was under $700 as outlined in the post above. I setup the table and have been working out the kinks, after close to a couple of weeks of using this, I am completely happy and satisfied with the purchase.

Some trouble I ran into that I had to address:

1) Ground loop hum
2) Cartridge hum
3) Lack of deep base
4) Tonearm lifter mechanism

Figuring out how to keep the records clean, dust free, and the cart in tip top shape. Now looking for record cleaning supplies (wash basin, etc). I will try to post some pics and impressions if anyone is interested.

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #24 of 185
Always thought about getting a vinyl rig myself but I don't think I can live with the hassle. Digital is just so much more convenient.
Although I got this gramophone recently. My first turntable :) . Just kidding ... not really playing anything on it, only got it for the looks.
Maybe I should go give a vinyl rig an audition, see if I'm going to convert to full analog.

Mar 2, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #25 of 185
  Always thought about getting a vinyl rig myself but I don't think I can live with the hassle. Digital is just so much more convenient.
Although I got this gramophone recently. My first turntable :) . Just kidding ... not really playing anything on it, only got it for the looks.
Maybe I should go give a vinyl rig an audition, see if I'm going to convert to full analog.

Lol...sounds good - so first things first, can you post some pics of this gramophone? I am curious as hell to see what it looks like. We can later discuss you Vinyl rig 
wink.gif
Cheers

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #26 of 185
Got it for my parents, so when I'll visit them, I'll make some pics. As far as sound goes, it's pretty terrible :). It needs 78 rpm records, but thankfully it came with one. A lot of static and background noise.

Mar 8, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #27 of 185
I was reading about Uturn Audio's Orbit on another forum and when I saw this thread I was expecting it to get a mention. It's fully manual but I don't think I would mind that too much. Having to pay extra for que up seems silly to me but I guess some other tables don't come with them either.

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #28 of 185
  I was reading about Uturn Audio's Orbit on another forum and when I saw this thread I was expecting it to get a mention. It's fully manual but I don't think I would mind that too much. Having to pay extra for que up seems silly to me but I guess some other tables don't come with them either.

If I understand their plans correctly, Uturn wants to provide a cheap way to test vinyl. This can fire back, as too cheap may be unable to reveal the potential of vinyl and leave you with a wrong impression. 
It can be cheaper to buy a high quality used turntable and sell it without loss, if you don't like the handling overhead that is involved. At least you know then, that you did not miss anything.

My impression, after a couple of months with our new Rega turntable, is it doesn't sound better than our CD player. We have a couple of identical albums on vinyl and CD, classical most of the time, so there is little risk of a different mastering. Running both in parallel and switching the amp with the remote between CD and vinyl would not allow a clear distinction, if done blind. And the CD player is cheaper than the turntable. The rule, that a turntable sounds as good as a CD player 3 times as expensive does not hold for us.
I did not compare with my really good CD player, because it is in the other house. But I expect, it's going to trash the turntable.

The main thing is the magic of the spinning disk, as written before. We listen much more carefully to the music now. 

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #29 of 185

If I understand their plans correctly, Uturn wants to provide a cheap way to test vinyl. This can fire back, as too cheap may be unable to reveal the potential of vinyl and leave you with a wrong impression. 
It can be cheaper to buy a high quality used turntable and sell it without loss, if you don't like the handling overhead that is involved. At least you know then, that you did not miss anything.

My impression, after a couple of months with our new Rega turntable, is it doesn't sound better than our CD player. We have a couple of identical albums on vinyl and CD, classical most of the time, so there is little risk of a different mastering. Running both in parallel and switching the amp with the remote between CD and vinyl would not allow a clear distinction, if done blind. And the CD player is cheaper than the turntable. The rule, that a turntable sounds as good as a CD player 3 times as expensive does not hold for us.
I did not compare with my really good CD player, because it is in the other house. But I expect, it's going to trash the turntable.

The main thing is the magic of the spinning disk, as written before. We listen much more carefully to the music now. 

I have not heard about Uturn Audio Orbit before, so I will look into it.

mironathetin, you are absolutely correct - The TT by no way comes close to DACs or CD+ hirez music. But the main thing about it is the ritual of preparing and listening to the music. The artwork is a big plus and letting your mind rest instead of hunting around for music. Its a personal taste and preference after all. 

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #30 of 185

I have not heard about Uturn Audio Orbit before, so I will look into it.

mironathetin, you are absolutely correct - The TT by no way comes close to DACs or CD+ hirez music. But the main thing about it is the ritual of preparing and listening to the music. The artwork is a big plus and letting your mind rest instead of hunting around for music. Its a personal taste and preference after all. 

There is another thing (one of the reasons, why I voted to buy the turntable). CDs, especially remasters, are terribly loudness compressed these days. Vinyl and SACD are made for a sound conscious audience. I read a lot about people saying the SACD master and the vinyl master usually sound better than the CD masters. Did not check this myself so far, but it makes a lot of sense to me.

BTW, I promised a photo. I got sick right after I posted this and was in bed for 2 weeks with a flu. Since then, I wasn't near the turntable in daylight. 

Edit: photo (click for slightly larger, but head-fi seems to shrink uploads)
Rega Rp3, no extras, Clearaudio Artist V2, made of nice ebony, playing the Speakers Corner release of Beethoven: Concerto for Violin and Orchestra – Wolfgang Schneiderhan and the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Eugen Jochum from 1962 (http://www.speakerscornerrecords.com/products/details/138999/beethoven-concerto-for-violin-and-orchestra)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back