Selecting the Best Detailed Earphone for the price
Jan 27, 2005 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

josimcy

Head-Fier
I currently have the Sony E888s, and while I enjoy them, I want more detail out of my music. The kind of earphone I want is one that reproduced without overemphazised bass. I want detail, clarity, quality. I want to be able to hear every instrument, I don't want anything muffled. Most of the music I listed to is pop, both contemporary (latin pop, Top 40) and classic (Fleetwood Mac, etc). Also, I enjoy some classical music, and I find that the E888s don't cut it when it comes to string instruments (particularly violins), I just don't hear the detail. Also, it seems that drums aren't clear, I hear more like "thumps" instead of hearing the true sound.

What do you recommend that would best suit my needs? I do NOT want isolation, I need to hear the phone, the doorbell, etc.- Also, I need them to be portable. I would prefer not to go over $225.

Thanks!

BTW- if it's important, my main audio source is an iRiver MP3 player.

Jan 27, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 43
Either the ER-4P, ER-4S (more detail but a little thinner sound), or the Grado SR-225. The Grado don't isolated at all, so if that's a concern, skip them.

Jan 27, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
Either the ER-4P, ER-4S (more detail but a little thinner sound), or the Grado SR-225. The Grado don't isolated at all, so if that's a concern, skip them.

I don't need isolation, necessarily. E3s aren't great with the detail? When you say thin for the ER-4's, is it enough to detract from the richness of the sound?

Jan 27, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by josimcy
I don't need isolation, necessarily. E3s aren't great with the detail? When you say thin for the ER-4's, is it enough to detract from the richness of the sound?

i have the er4p... they're incredibly detailed, and i think the isolation enhances that. i don't listen to much classical, but i find them hypnotically good for jazz, opera and ambient electronic (oh, and zappa was sounding mighty fine, this morning).

i've only heard the e3c's twice, and from my listening, the highs were a little rolled off, and the detail was certainly not on par with the er4p.

i haven't heard the er4s, but i hear with an amp they're even better than the er4p.

Jan 27, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 43
I think I prefer the Grados for the type of music you listen to and they can be powered by a portable better. The Grados should give you a fuller sound while still keeping the amazing detail. Plus they're less hassle to put on and off.

Just a note. I meant more detail but thinner for the 4S compared to the 4P. The Grado should be as detailed as the 4S with fuller sound.

Jan 27, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 43
I should have said I will be using these portably, is that possible with the Grados? They look a little big. BTW, is the difference in detail between the 4S and 4P that noticible? Is it a trade off between fuller sound and more detail with those two models?

Jan 27, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 43
get a SR-60,

yeah sure,, it's kind of big.. though you'll be satisfied for the sounds you get

from 70bucks headphone
orphsmile.gif

oh and it's pretty comfty also.

the only things that i don't like about my SR-60 is design.. and

sound is very bright, that it hurts my ear sometimes.

Jan 27, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone

iamdone --

Please don't use the word "thin" to describe the ER-4S.
biggrin.gif

The ER-4S has more detail and less (but much better quality) bass.
The ER-4S also has more defined instrument separation/soundstage.

josimcy --

The only other alternatives for detail beyond that? UE-10 Pro/2Xs.

BANGPOD

Jan 27, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

I should have said I will be using these portably, is that possible with the Grados? They look a little big. BTW, is the difference in detail between the 4S and 4P that noticible? Is it a trade off between fuller sound and more detail with those two models?

Yeah, the Grados are out. I preferred the 4S. To be on the safe side you can get the P and then get a S converter cable. That's the approach I took but it cost more in the long run.

There are full review on the difference between the 4P and 4S in full review section. Check there for more info.

Jan 27, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANGPOD
iamdone --

Please don't use the word "thin" to describe the ER-4S.
biggrin.gif

The ER-4S has more detail and less (but much better quality) bass.
The ER-4S also has more defined instrument separation/soundstage.

josimcy --

The only other alternatives for detail beyond that? UE-10 Pro/2Xs.

BANGPOD

I stand by the word thin even with a good amp. Any full sized headphone and my sensa as well have much more mids and bass than the etys. This doesn't mean it doesn't exist or even sounds bad, it's just not balanced.

The alternatives are way out of his price range.

Jan 27, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 43
I just got my ER-4P in the mail today and am amazed at the detail. I have never heard anything like it. I use it with an iPod 4G. I don't think you could get much better for $200 with no amp. Period.

Jan 27, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

I want detail, clarity, quality. I want to be able to hear every instrument, I don't want anything muffled.

I have no experience with the Sony MDR-SA1000 or MDR-SA3000, but your request describes my Sony MDR-SA5000 to the "T". As means of comparison, the Sensa's don't present detail nearly as well, and sound laid back to me.

Best regards,

-Jason

Postscript: Just noticed you wanted these to be portable - well the Sony's are fairly open phones so may not suit your needs. Still, I imagine they're about as portable as the Grado's (no experience with them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back