Selecting a Lathe for Grado Cups
May 29, 2014 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

fleasbaby

Member of the Trade: Wabi Sabi Headphones
Hi All,

So I have decided to teach myself how to make cups for my Grados, but am pretty new to woodworking. I am shopping around for lathes but the assortment is bewildering.

Does anyone have any advice? I was thinking of starting with a cheap bench top from Harbor Freight...

May 29, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 5
A lathe is good, available quite cheap, produces nice results, but limited to round objects and requires skill if hand cutting. Making the same object twice by hand is not straightforward. Of course you can get CNC, but at added cost.

A CNC mill or router will produce irregular shaped objects in 2.5D or 3D with clever operation, but with a lot less dependence on skill. They tend to be a bit more expensive.

w

May 29, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 5
...indeed. I am definitely thinking a lathe is what I want. Its just which one...I see some snappy little ones, but was hoping some other cup-makers out there could advise on which would work best....

May 29, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 5
Probably best to find a mentor in this endeavor. 

Or perhaps a shared workshop type space where you can just use the lathe for a few hours - and probably get hooked up with someone who can watch over your shoulder. 

May 29, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 5
  Probably best to find a mentor in this endeavor. 

Or perhaps a shared workshop type space where you can just use the lathe for a few hours - and probably get hooked up with someone who can watch over your shoulder. 

That is a good idea...I think I have someone I can ask :). Still, any advice on purchasing would still be much appreciated...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back