Seinheiser hd 700 vs Audeze LCD-2 which is better??
Dec 14, 2014 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Prolificaudio

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys any experienced headfiiers opinions would be so awesome! Which do you like better the Seinheiser hd 700's or Audeze LCD-2. Why do you like one more than the other, also what do you like about these headphones? One more thing do you guys think a portable headphone amp can power these suckers?? Thank you in advanced my friends!
dt880smile.png

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 38
"better" between headphones at that level is a very personal decision. I can tell you which *I* like better, but not which *is* better. For me, the excellent & powerful bass extension, the incredibly smooth mids and the overall accuracy of the LCD-2 are simply amazing, and make it my choice.

As far as the portable amp - it depends on the amp. The LCD-2 is moderate impedance (70 ohms), but low efficiency (93 dB/mW), the HD800 is much higher impedance (varying from 300 to over 600 ohms) and more efficient (97 dB/mW). According to a handy "power calculator" spreadsheet I found somewhere on the web, to achieve a target SPL of 95 dB, the HD800 needs 0.67 milliwatts. The LCD-2 needs 1.58 milliwatts.

The JDS Labs lists the output of the O2 amp at 600 ohms at 88 milliwatts. Seems like that should be plenty for either of them.

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 38
Dude thank you so much you are always helping noobs like me. What were your impressions of the hd700s? I tried on some Audeze lcd2s today and it simply blew my mind. I honestly couldn't stop smiling, but the seinheisers would be like 200 bucks cheaper for me so I can't decide. Thank you so much for the info on the amp that gives me a much better idea. What would you do? I know its based on preference but pay 500 for the seinheisers or 700 for the lcd 2s?

Dec 14, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #4 of 38
Dude thank you so much you are always helping noobs like me. What were your impressions of the hd700s? I tried on some Audeze lcd2s today and it simply blew my mind. I honestly couldn't stop smiling, but the seinheisers would be like 200 bucks cheaper for me so I can't decide. Thank you so much for the info on the amp that gives me a much better idea. What would you do? I know its based on preference but pay 500 for the seinheisers or 700 for the lcd 2s?

HD700 really divides the water. Some like it very much, many think it's a rather poor can for the price. I suggest demoing if you are thinking about buying hd700

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 38
  Hey guys any experienced headfiiers opinions would be so awesome! Which do you like better the Seinheiser hd 700's or Audeze LCD-2. Why do you like one more than the other, also what do you like about these headphones? One more thing do you guys think a portable headphone amp can power these suckers?? Thank you in advanced my friends!
dt880smile.png

Hello, are you talking about LCD-2 rev 2 or LCD-2 Fazor?

Based on innerfidelity measurements and doing some simple math you'll need:

- 222.72mW into 58 Ohm to drive LCD-2 rev 2 to 114dB
- 46.08mW into 72 Ohm to drive LCD-2 Fazor to 114dB

Based on some measurements Fiio E12 Mont Blanc can output 600 mW into 32 Ohm so I guess it should provide sufficient power for both, although Fazor version is clearly easier to drive.

For HD700 you'll need 35,84mW into 167 Ohm (to reach 114dB)

Being a higher impedance headphone, you'll need more voltage (in comparison with LCDs)
E12 doesn't seem to be a great pick for HD700.

HD700 really divides the water. Some like it very much, many think it's a rather poor can for the price. I suggest demoing if you are thinking about buying hd700

+1

Best Luck!

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #6 of 38
I agree - the LCD-2 and HD700 are very different headphones. There are many people that prefer the HD650 to either the HD700 or HD800, and there are other people that consider the HD800 the best headphone in the world, and the HD700 the next best thing. I'll say again that buying summit-fi headphones is not something you can do based on price. They are ALL great headphones to *someone*. If you heard the LCD-2 and you loved them, then unless you hear the HD700, you can't really know whether the difference is worth it. This is why head-fi meets are so valuable - you can listen to more headphones in one day than most people hear in a lifetime.

What other headphones have you owned or listened to besides the LCD-2?

In addition, I wouldn't use ANY of these headphones when I'm mobile and away from home or office. They are big, heavy and open headphones that provide very little isolation. They are not intended for portable use. In addition, I can't imagine having my $700, highly polished wood (in the case of the Audeze) headphones knocking around in a backpack. That makes me shudder.

Dec 14, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #7 of 38
Thank you guys so much this is all very helpful. Could someone tell me what makes these headphones different for you?? What portable amp could power these cans and does anyone have a good priced starter amp?? Thank you guys you guys are great really glad to be a part of the community.

Dec 14, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 38
I haven't heard the LCD-2, but it's supposed to sound very different than the HD 700.  The LCD-2 has a more dark sound - tilted downwards with more bass presence, warm mids, and subdued treble.  That's what people say anyway, and I have heard the LCD-3 which is the LCD-2's superior by most accounts, and I can say that those adjectives apply to the LCD-3.

The HD 700 is a more neutral sounding headphone with some warmth in the mids.  The thing that people dislike about it is the treble, which has sibilance and some find it to be too powerful (not me).  The HiFiMan HE-500 is significantly less costly than the HD 700, and also better in pretty much every way.  This isn't just my opinion but I'd wager 99% of Head-Fi agrees.  I don't think the HD 700 is bad but the HE-500 is just the more transparent headphone, both are geared towards neutral sound but the HE-500 doesn't have the treble problems that the HD 700 has. 

Another headphone in that price range is the HiFiMan HE-560, which like the HE-500 is a mostly neutral headphone but with stronger treble, more detail, more airy sound, better sound stage.  

Although this thread is full of subjective impressions, it might help you get an idea about the differences between these headphones and others.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

But since you liked the LCD-2 so much, that's already a safe choice.  I really don't know squat about portable amps.

Dec 14, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 38
700's are an all-around ok headphone. They do nothing excellent or bad. LCD2 are amazing when it comes to live music. The LCD2 fall flat when it comes to digitally created music like EDM or Rap.

Dec 14, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #11 of 38
These two cans have very, very different sound signatures.

The LCD-2 is rightly called "The Prince of Darkness".

The HD 700 is Senn's attempt to take the best of the HD 800 and meld it with the best of the HD600/650.  Most think they created something of a high priced Frankenstein (well maybe not quite the monster), while a smaller group likes it.

Dec 14, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 38
700's are an all-around ok headphone. They do nothing excellent or bad. LCD2 are amazing when it comes to live music. The LCD2 fall flat when it comes to digitally created music like EDM or Rap.

Why does it fall flat on digitally created music like EDM or rap?

Dec 14, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #14 of 38
It feels dull and lacks excitement.  I played classical, jazz and some rock and roll and they made you feel you were there. When I played dubstep and rap it felt lifeless. LCD's strength is reproducing natural sounds.

That's weird. LCD-2 IMO has the best bass not only in terms of mass but also in terms of quality, articulation and detail. Almost every HP can produce treble details and articulation of the amp is up to it, but not the bass.

Dec 14, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #15 of 38

It feels dull and lacks excitement.  I played classical, jazz and some rock and roll and they made you feel you were there. When I played dubstep and rap it felt lifeless. LCD's strength is reproducing natural sounds.

Out of curiosity what headphone do you like for digitally created music?  I'm guessing something with a more V-shaped sound signature?  I don't listen to such music and I'm not sure what the thread starter listens to. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back