Seenheiser responds, Mike admits defeat
May 1, 2003 at 2:52 PM Post #16 of 141
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
Obviously you belong to the «some people»...
biggrin.gif

peacesign.gif

ROFL
wink.gif

May 1, 2003 at 3:02 PM Post #17 of 141
Quote:

Obviously you belong to the «some people»...
biggrin.gif

peacesign.gif

I really doubt that I am incapable of hearing it. It could simply be that the phones I have have changed so slowly as to be imperceptible. I have outlined here my ability to hear differences when substituting various components such as cables, RF traps, and green paint. This perhpas has more to do with A/B/A comparison than AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA A/B A/B A/B BBBBBBBBBBBBBB (slow change). Suden changes may simply be easier to detect than slow ones.

May 1, 2003 at 3:07 PM Post #18 of 141
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
I really doubt that I am incapable of hearing it. It could simply be that the phones I have have changed so slowly as to be imperceptible. I have outlined here my ability to hear differences when substituting various components such as cables, RF traps, and green paint. This perhpas has more to do with A/B/A comparison than AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA A/B A/B A/B BBBBBBBBBBBBBB (slow change). Suden changes may simply be easier to detect than slow ones.

there is a vote to have you take a hearing exam in the other thread
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2003 at 3:07 PM Post #19 of 141
Quote:

I really doubt that I am incapable of hearing it.

So now your stating that you can hear the difference after burn-in.

I don't know how anyone could deny that burn-in for headphones doesn't occur. Especially with any of the headphones I've had, and I suspect it's the same with all others.

May 1, 2003 at 3:12 PM Post #21 of 141
Quote:

It could simply be that the phones I have have changed so slowly as to be imperceptible.

That's the explanation I have offered you, you remember? You have countered with your «excellent hearing»..., you remember?

«Part of this is what one learns by LONG experience.»

peacesign.gif

May 1, 2003 at 3:12 PM Post #22 of 141
Quote:

Originally posted by Digital-Monk
So now your stating that you can hear the difference after burn-in.

I don't know how anyone could deny that burn-in for headphones doesn't occur. Especially with any of the headphones I've had, and I suspect it's the same with all others.

IF there is a difference to be heard, I'm saying I'm capable of hearing it if it were an A/B situation. If over a long period, it may be hard to spot. Take two phones, one used and one new, and if there's a difference, and if I have an opportunity to do an immediate A/B switch, I'm sure I could hear it. Sennheiser states the change may not be detectable by everyone. The question remains how much is the sound affected by any loosening of the surround. Only an A/B test will tell that.

May 1, 2003 at 3:14 PM Post #23 of 141
Quote:

That's the explanation I have offered you, you remember? You have countered with your «excellent hearing»..., you remember?

«Part of this is what one learns by LONG experience.»

peacesign.gif

It could be the phones I have owned have had no significant changes, whereas others are more prone to this.

May 1, 2003 at 3:19 PM Post #24 of 141
Quote:

IF there is a difference to be heard, I'm saying I'm capable of hearing it if it were an A/B situation. If over a long period, it may be hard to spot.

You know, that's the same situation others are confronted with. And they did hear the difference! Note: break-in is by nature a slow process! Maybe you're just an A/B auditioner...
cool.gif

Anyway... my respect for your self-awarded «excellent» hearing has considerably suffered...

peacesign.gif

May 1, 2003 at 3:23 PM Post #25 of 141
Quote:

It could be the phones I have owned have had no significant changes, whereas others are more prone to this.

I would say that is probably it. Other then the W2002 and HD600 I have not noticed too much of an improvement with break in with other headphones I have owned. Not saying it didn't happen for those headphones, but I just didn't notice it much. The HD600 seemed to make the biggest improvement after break in.

May 1, 2003 at 3:25 PM Post #26 of 141
Quote:

Anyway... my respect for your self-awarded «excellent» hearing has considerably suffered...

peacesign.gif

How so? Maybe I'm just better at hearing A/B differences, when I'm in a 'critical listening' mode. When this 'burn-in' occurs, as a gradual process, it may not have been detectable, because I' wasn't in a 'critical listening' mode, not having been warned of such a change. I assure I can hear subtle differences when my attention is drawn to doing this. I bet most of you could not hear the difference RF traps make when inserted and removed. It's extremely subtle.

May 1, 2003 at 3:27 PM Post #27 of 141
Quote:

Originally posted by RVD
Other then the W2002 and HD600 I have not noticed too much of an improvement with break in with other headphones I have owned.

Really? I noticed a huge difference with my SR-325's and also with my SR-60's. I'm surprised that you didn't hear it with yours.

May 1, 2003 at 3:38 PM Post #28 of 141
Quote:

Mike, you're a very bad looser! And a lier, too...

You didn't concede anything, ...

Hey now, don't push. What do you want from the guy? He admitted it's possible, in one form or another, and sticks to his experience otherwise. We have the official answer. We'll keep recommending people keep their headphones for 50-60 hours of running time, which is good practice anyway.

My V6s sounded lifeless and distant at first, but now I love them. I don't know how much of that was the fact that I got used to the sound (these were my first decent pair of headphones, besides my portapros), and how much was from a physical change during burn-in.

May 1, 2003 at 3:46 PM Post #29 of 141
Quote:

Really? I noticed a huge difference with my SR-325's and also with my SR-60's. I'm surprised that you didn't hear it with yours.

Honestly, I didn't really notice it too much with the SR60's or the SR80's. If I remember correctly when I had both headphones I left them playing during the day and only listened to them at night so maybe because I was not listening to them constantly is why I did not notice it much.

May 1, 2003 at 3:56 PM Post #30 of 141
Quote:

Originally posted by stereth
We have the official answer. We'll keep recommending people keep their headphones for 50-60 hours of running time, which is good practice anyway.

If this occurs anyway, there's no real reason to make a big fuss about it. The best thing to say is perhaps this:

Brand new headphones may have stiff suspensions right off the assembly line. After a few hours of use, this will loosen up. It may affect the sound somewhat, though not necessarily, and you may or may not notice it.

Would everyone agree to this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back