Seemingly punctured my ear drum with a Q-tip
Aug 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ZenErik

1000+ Head-Fier
I knew that there had to be a reason why I hadn't used Q-tips in many years. Guess that's why. Bonehead move. Hope things are back to normal within a few weeks. I could see a doctor, but from reading it seems like there's no need to unless I feel any pain or think it may be getting infected. So for now from my left ear everything just sounds kind of funny and quieter. Meh..

Anyone else ever do this or do something similarly stupid? Experiences?

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
I knew that there had to be a reason why I hadn't used Q-tips in many years. Guess that's why. Bonehead move. Hope things are back to normal within a few weeks. I could see a doctor, but from reading it seems like there's no need to unless I feel any pain or think it may be getting infected. So for now from my left ear everything just sounds kind of funny and quieter. Meh..

Anyone else ever do this or do something similarly stupid? Experiences?

Back when I was small I thought a punctured ear drum means being death forever. I googled it this year and found that it will generally grow back in a few weeks. 

As an Asian, we use Q Tips and other ear cleaning devices with Asian care.

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 7
Back when I was small I thought a punctured ear drum means being death forever. I googled it this year and found that it will generally grow back in a few weeks. 

As an Asian, we use Q Tips and other ear cleaning devices with Asian care.
Yea. I hope it grows back sooner than later. This sort of thing worries me a lot. There isn't much more important than hearing. Well, besides being alive and making a modest living and such. D:

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Yea. I hope it grows back sooner than later. This sort of thing worries me a lot. There isn't much more important than hearing. Well, besides being alive and making a modest living and such. D:

As a head fi'er. I feel dat pain as I get air pockets in my ears frequently and other factors that may cause a imbalance of the channels leading me to think one side is softer than the other and etc :frowning2:

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 7
If you didn't feel quite a bit of pain, and you have no discharge, then the muted sound is more likely from impacted wax (no better way to pack it in than with a qtip)

Aug 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
If you didn't feel quite a bit of pain, and you have no discharge, then the muted sound is more likely from impacted wax (no better way to pack it in than with a qtip)

There was no pain, but I haven't been able to get any more ear wax out. Perhaps I should look for some droplets to put in my ear for that?

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #7 of 7
I tried some ear wax removal drops. Let it sit for several minutes as instructed. But the fluid came out clear. So I'm guessing there is no ear wax build up. Just a punctured ear drum. And putting fluid in it probably wasn't a good thing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back