Seeking suggestions
Oct 24, 2012 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Tedathalan

New Head-Fier
Hi all. I had originally posted in the stickied suggestions thread, but my question got swamped by others' fairly quickly, so I'm starting a fresh thread. I'm looking for a set of headphones I can wear around the office to protect my sanity from the drama that occasionally erupts. Good isolation and minimal leakage are high priorities for me. I'll be listening to mostly pop/rock style music from a tablet/iPod. I'd originally been hoping to get something in the US$100 range, but from what I've gathered browsing reviews and stuff, a good set will cost at least $200. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I'd originally been hoping to get something in the US$100 range, but from what I've gathered browsing reviews and stuff, a good set will cost at least $200. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Beyer DT1350   

It isolates really well and can be driven straight from a portable and sounds great.   It's about $300.

And this is how the descent into madness begins. Haha.

Tedathalan, the big recommendations thread is still a good place to start. Instead of posting there, try searching within it? In Head-Fi terms, your requirements seem to be:
- $100 (or $200, depending on budget)
- closed
- unamped

In general, closed headphones won't leak much, so don't worry about that. They do differ in terms of isolation, which is what you want. 
The Beyer DT 1350 is a good headphone, but I'm just concerned that it's expensive for you. I think it's a great sounding headphone (when I demo'd it), and it was comfortable for a short session, but I don't know how comfortable it is in the long haul.

Other standards include the Audio Technica M50 (should be <$150), Shure 440 (similar price). If you plan to leave the headphones in the office, consider a full-sized. Bulky, but generally good bang for buck. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 4
If you are willing to use an amp with the ipod, you can get the dt770 Beyerdynamics for about 150 on ebay and a fiio e11 for about 50 bucks anywhere. That would be my pick, although very close to your budget. I agree with eric m50 and 440 are pretty decent unamped. shure 840 is at the top of the budget and I would suggest that over the 440 but thats just me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back