Seeking suggestions and reccomendations: HD 6XX vs SteelSeries Artis Pro
Aug 3, 2020 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

9thStreetDreamer

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
I currently use a SteelSeries Arctis 5 headset that I purchased a few years back. My overall peripheral layout is mainly SteelSeries products so it was a good choice based on overall ecosystem and aesthetic integration back then. The Arctis 5 is nearing the end of its life I feel because it's starting to develop certain issues of static and distortion whenever you spin it's volume wheel. So I'm thinking it's time I gave it an upgrade. Back when I bought it I used to play games relatively frequently but as time has gone on I don't play as often. Although I still put in some game time whenever I get the chance my leisure is now more diverse with music, movies and TV shows becoming more prominent. So I'd like to invest in something more versatile in terms of it's sound signature and sound stage. I've been doing some research and I feel two options that have been resonating with me a fair bit are the Artis Pro series, either the wireless or the wired with Dac and then the HD 6XX. Both are very diverse products which I understand. And I do believe from what I've read that the HD 6XX provides the superior experience in terms of sound Fidelity. But I also like the versatility features on the Actis Pro Wireless like Bluetooth, being tether free and being able to use it on console as well as PC while having something I can connect to my phone while on the go if need be. For the HD 6XX if I were to purchase it I would be considering to pair it with the Schiit Fulla 3 because I've heard good things. I was wondering if the community hear could help provide me with some greater clarity for the purchase decision. Currently I'm leaning more towards the HD 6XX despite the SteelSeries integrating more readily into my set up. I'd like to keep my spending around $300-$350 and I'd really appreciate any reccomendations that could be sent my way.

Aug 3, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 8
You can pick up the Audeze Mobius used in really good shape for your budget. If you're willing to give up wireless ability the HyperX Orbit S is $330 new, so if you put up a WTB thread you should be able to find it for a good bit less.

The HD6XX isn't the easiest to drive; plan on adding something like a Little Dot MK2 or similar.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 8
I have the 600 rather than the 6XX and I can say that you will be shortchanging yourself if you buy a cheap schiit amp. The 600/650/6XX need more voltage than many amps can supply. They will get loud enough to hurt you but will still sound thin and lifeless if they don't get fed enough quality power. The best thing for 300 ohm Sennheisers is an OTL tube amp. There are some popular Chinese ones that won't break the bank. If you go solid state you will need something a lot better than the Fulla 3. If you stay with Steelseries it would probably be ok. For the Sennheisers it's woefully, criminally underpowered.

Aug 3, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 8
I have the 600 rather than the 6XX and I can say that you will be shortchanging yourself if you buy a cheap schiit amp. The 600/650/6XX need more voltage than many amps can supply. They will get loud enough to hurt you but will still sound thin and lifeless if they don't get fed enough quality power. The best thing for 300 ohm Sennheisers is an OTL tube amp. There are some popular Chinese ones that won't break the bank. If you go solid state you will need something a lot better than the Fulla 3. If you stay with Steelseries it would probably be ok. For the Sennheisers it's woefully, criminally underpowered.

Thanks for the insight! So I would be running them off my MSI GT73VR which has a built in Sabre DAC although I'm not sure exactly how capable that would be but if the Fulla won't cut it for an amp then how about a JLS Lab objective 2 as an amp option to pair with the system and headphones?

Aug 3, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the insight! So I would be running them off my MSI GT73VR which has a built in Sabre DAC although I'm not sure exactly how capable that would be but if the Fulla won't cut it for an amp then how about a JLS Lab objective 2 as an amp option to pair with the system and headphones?

Should probably go with a tube amp, as the other poster said. Maybe put up a WTB thread for a Little Dot MK2 or similar. A used OTL amp should be in budget.

Aug 3, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 8
You can pick up the Audeze Mobius used in really good shape for your budget. If you're willing to give up wireless ability the HyperX Orbit S is $330 new, so if you put up a WTB thread you should be able to find it for a good bit less.

The HD6XX isn't the easiest to drive; plan on adding something like a Little Dot MK2 or similar.
The Mobius is a solid package overall, my dad actually owns a pair that he doesn't use so I have open access to them. I feel the sound stage has very good separation for instrumental but I really like the balancing and vocals on the 6XX more for things like music and movies. Im not hard pressed to limit my spending to $350 if it's for a better experience. One thing I was really hoping to get some insight on is just how worth it would the 6XX be over the Arctis Pro line In terms of the overall experience. I'll definitely take a look at the Hyper X's you mentioned. Thank you for your help, it's appreciated!

Aug 3, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 8
The Mobius is a solid package overall, my dad actually owns a pair that he doesn't use so I have open access to them. I feel the sound stage has very good separation for instrumental but I really like the balancing and vocals on the 6XX more for things like music and movies. Im not hard pressed to limit my spending to $350 if it's for a better experience. One thing I was really hoping to get some insight on is just how worth it would the 6XX be over the Arctis Pro line In terms of the overall experience. I'll definitely take a look at the Hyper X's you mentioned. Thank you for your help, it's appreciated!

The Orbit S basically /is/ the the Mobius, so if you weren't impressed with them don't bother.

Aug 4, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #8 of 8

The DAC is ok to start with. The problem is no PC or laptop is going to have a good analog section and there is a lot of noise with onboard sound. The Objective 2 is not going to bring out the best in 6XX either. If you want to get your money's worth out of a pair of 300 ohm Sennheisers you need to spend more money on the amp than on the headphones in most cases. Here is a case where it doesn't pay to try to save money on the amp. You don't have to spend a thousand or thousands of dollars on an amp although if you do you would see it makes a difference. But a reasonable tube OTL amp or a healthy solid state amp is required. If you want good music quality from a PC you'll also need to get a USB DAC but there are some good choices around the 2-300 dollar mark that will be fine to start with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back