Seeking recommendations within this criteria.
Aug 1, 2012 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Siegfried262

New Head-Fier
[size=small] Hi guys, I was hoping you could help me find a good pair of headphones to upgrade to.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Budget: 150-200ish[/size]

[size=small] Open to Semi-Open preferred. (Ears need to breath)[/size]

[size=small] Noise isolation isn't important. (It's usually quiet where I use them)[/size]

[size=small] Circumaural preferred.[/size]

[size=small] No amp required[/size]

[size=small] Source: Computer (Onboard sound)[/size]

[size=small] Primary use will be gaming with movies/videos right behind it. I listen to a wide variety of music but I tend to stick to classic rock and power metal.[/size]

[size=small] At least a bit of bass oomph.[/size]

[size=small] These are for home-use; portability is not a concern.[/size]

[size=small] Available in North America.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] I currently use a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD300 headphones and I've enjoyed them. They're super comfortable but don't have any bass presence.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] I'm hoping to find a fairly well-rounded pair of open/semi-open headphones to upgrade my listening experience.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated. :)[/size]

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 7
DT990 / DT880

Ultrasones 780 / 750 Pro

Cheerz !

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 7
Yeap...32 Ohms version will be just nice. Sound signature will be different from the 250 or 600 Ohms, but those are definitely not for you since u aren't into amping. Anything less then 80 Ohms will be safe to drive without amps.  Do invest in an amp / dac when you get a chance. That will only make things better. If you are into Electronics, maybe you can make your own amp...O2...which should cost less and the design is open source. 

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 7
That's something I'd definitely be into for the future but for now I'll abstain. I would go the soundcard route (I know there are some cards that come with amplifiers) but the case I'll be building into in a month won't have room for a sound card. (Going small form factor).

Also do any of these need to be burned in and if so what's the best way to do that?

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 7
Another vote for the DT880 from me. The Ultrasones are closed back.

Edit: For burning in, just leave them with music playing through them; nothing to it.

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back