[Seeking Recommendation] DAC for Mac
Jan 25, 2011 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Geminist

New Head-Fier
Hi there

I am thinking it's about time I upgrade my computer and I am considering getting a Mac.  I just wondered if there's any recommendations for a good DAC for Mac.  My budget is £200 (OK if need to go over a bit) and my requirements are:

1) I listen to a lot of classical music, orchestra etc and I like neutral sound with a wide soundstage.  
2) I only listen to music so the DAC does not need to do anything else such as various mic inputs etc.
3) I am looking for flexibility, e.g. I can use the DAC on a PC too or laptop if I wanted to. 

My current setup is as below:

1) EMU1616m -> Headfive -> AKG K701
2) EMU1616m -> Marantz PM4001 -> Mordaunt Short 902i

I am happy with my current setup so I don't think I need anything 'better' (in some sense) than this.  

Any recommendations as after reading the forum, I think the DACMagic seems to be the obvious choice?

Many thanks!

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 4
I compared the V-DAC, Beresford, and HRT MS2 head to head and kept the V-DAC while returning the others.

I use it with my Mac via Toslink to feed both my headphone amps and my Audio Refinement Complete integrated amp.

If you can find dealers with 30-day return policies, there is nothing better than demo'ing on your system with your ears.

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 4
I have used Cambridge Audio's DACMagic (DAC only), Meier Audio's StageDAC (DAC only) and Audio-GD NFB-12 (DAC/Headamp) (in chronological order) on various models of iMac. Both standalone DAC models come with more than one output for connecting to headphone amplifier (Headfive) and power amplifier (Marantz PM4001). Initially I was using only optical audio output with a TOSLink cable until recently I have switched to HiFace Evo USB-to-SPDIF converter for better interfacing flexibility and jitter reduction.

Interfacing options for Mac include optical and USB whereas for PC it is only USB unless sound card with optical/coaxial digital audio outputs has been installed. Since most reasonable good DAC models come with coaxial digital input and USB ports on most DAC models are rather crappy in term of sampling rate and bit depth (48kHz/16-bit for StageDAC and DACMagic), might as well use a USB-to-SPDIF converter to convert USB to coaxial and forget about USB all together. This kind of interfacing suite most DAC models and caters to all models of Mac/PC and desktop/notebook. Bonus for using such converter is sound enhancement through jitter reduction (converter > coaxial > toslink).

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #4 of 4
I purchased a V-DAC, though I haven't demoed it yet.

The USB input is limited to 16-bit data and sample rates of up to 48kHz.  The USB requires a separate chip for that interface, and given the complexities, it's typically where DACs skimp, as littletree76 was referring to above.

The Toslink/Coax inputs, however, will accept 24/96.   The output from any of the inputs is then upsampled to 24/192 and run through the D/A converter for line-level RCA output.

The MacBook (and Pro) headphone output has a mini toslink embedded inside.  You just need a mini-toslink cable, or a converter, and you're ready to rock at full 24/96.

Stereophile compared the V-DAC against the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic, and said that there was basically no sonic reason to choose one over the other; you would make your decision entirely upon features as they are completely comparable in sound.

The HRT iStreamer II and iStreamer II+ are both within your price range, and only do USB.  I haven't been able to verify, but it looks like those handle up to 24/96 via USB.  Another convenient thing about the iStreamer line is that they draw power from the USB, so there is no additional power supply required as with the V-DAC.  I've heard much talk about the iStreamer line being very "neutral," though the V-DAC also gets rave reviews.  I'm still looking for a direct comparison.

-Pie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back