Seeking portable yet leak preventing headphones for school use
Dec 27, 2013 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

goodguygreg

New Head-Fier
Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to read this.

I'm looking for a set of cans suitable for walking around campus as well as library/classroom settings. I'll be playing music directly off of an old 160 gig iPod classic (unless I should look into portable amps?) and occasionally a computer. Genres will mostly be rap and rock. My budget should be around $50 but willing to go higher if thoroughly convinced.

I care less about noise cancellation and more about leak prevention. I understand that the two go hand in hand but my primary focus is not disturbing others around me. I also wouldn't mind not being completely isolated from the outside world so I could be warned if my volume is too high/someone needs to speak to me etc. Basically, headphones that can't be heard from outside but could potentially allow for some outside interference. 

Another thing is I need short cord length. I've seen some promising models but been turned off by their 10ft. cables. As I'll be walking around with these things it'd be easiest if I'm not having to stuff four feet of cord into my pocket. 

Style is not an issue as I'm actually a fan of the bulkier look. Anything that gets the job done works. I recently bought Koss PortaPros but was disappointed in their incessant leakage...though I suppose that's my fault for not researching enough.

Dec 27, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 8
Dec 28, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 8
Thank you! Those look excellent. One question: how long is the cord?

EDIT: Cord link cleared up by the video below. The reviewer claimed that the right side gives out more audio than the left? Is this true or were his just faulty? Also in the comments he claims that they have some leakage.

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 8
Nah, they sound great, equal on both sides.  And I tested out the sound leakage at work, maxing out the volume was the ONLY way they could hear my music. And the cord is not long at all.

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #6 of 8
Sennheiser HD25 II...I liked them quite a bit, but am a Grado-head at heart...

Jan 1, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 8
No worries...yes, Grados are open, hence the recommendation for the Senns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back