Seeking help for a headphone stand!
Jan 13, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #16 of 42
As promised, here is the picture.  As you can see, either of my headphones are affecting by the solid metal branch.

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #17 of 42

Quote:
As promised, here is the picture.  As you can see, either of my headphones are affecting by the solid metal branch.

Now you see the problem with mine is that its got a groove on it...I'll be returning the metal one, unless I can mod it - which i probably can, but don't know how good it will be with 0 tools around me...

Also notice your 2 headphones you have have thin headbands, mine are reasonably thick meaning the metal thing leaves a mark on the headphones, after they have been sitting there for 1hr...let alone 1 week or a month.

I'll be keeping the wooden one with only 1 stick not the branches one, and will look for other alternatives and maybe get a proper headphone stand blindly from ebay - hopefully those will hold my headphones, but I have no idea...if anyone wants to shed some light on these, ie. with the weight of them in relation to my headphones, the XB700's or the D2K's that would be great.
Also advice on this would be good too

Saying that, I'm leaning towards these - might be really tall + useless to have the glass, but then again it seems to hold the phones perfectly.

Colour coded so it makes it easier to understand :p

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #18 of 42
I'm in the process of making one out of PVC pipe.  You could easily do one this way with very minimal tools.  The only things you'd need would be a PVC cutter (~$10-15), a ruler/tape measure, and a pencil.  PVC pipe is very cheap, or at least it is in the US - components came to around $20 for a 3-headphone rack, and I actually bought too much.  I could make a second 2-headphone rack with the pieces I have left.

Edit: those EBay stands look great.  The one that you like shouldn't have weight problems at all; not sure about the other free-standing one.

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #20 of 42

Quote:
I'm in the process of making one out of PVC pipe.  You could easily do one this way with very minimal tools.  The only things you'd need would be a PVC cutter (~$10-15), a ruler/tape measure, and a pencil.  PVC pipe is very cheap, or at least it is in the US - components came to around $20 for a 3-headphone rack, and I actually bought too much.  I could make a second 2-headphone rack with the pieces I have left.

Edit: those EBay stands look great.  The one that you like shouldn't have weight problems at all; not sure about the other free-standing one.

+1 for this. Working on one as well. I wish tolex (the material they wrap guitar amps/cases in) was a bit cheaper, think that would be a nice looking and durable alternative to paint.

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #22 of 42

You need something with a bit more surface area to make sure it doesn't leave a dint in cushioned headbands.

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #23 of 42

Quote:

You need something with a bit more surface area to make sure it doesn't leave a dint in cushioned headbands.

I like those Woo stands, but there's no way I can justify spending $75 on them :/

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #25 of 42

Quote:
 Many people get some foam padding (camp bed, or pipe insulation, or pool noodle, etc) and add a larger diameter foam pad around a stand like that one, to prevent the denting.

+1

Pool noodles, while arguably detracting from the beauty of some stands, definitely have saved my dt770's/ultrasone pro 900's/grado sr80i's from any/all headband distortion.

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #26 of 42

Quote:
Only a dollar a year if you live long enough
wink_face.gif

Haha, that's one way to look at it I suppose.  Regardless, anything like that is probably going to wait until after I have an appreciable income.  Until then, I'll just stick to DIY.

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #27 of 42

the cheap way :)

I use mannequin heads.  I have a glass one for my thunderpants and a blue plastic one for my W5000s.  You can find them on ebay and they are usually in your price range

i just checked them out....they won't work for me. Giving me a heart attack everytime I enter the room isn't exactly gonna be the best thing. I'll stick with my banana holders :)

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #28 of 42
you guys are legendary :D!

Now I would love to DIY something...I just don't think I will be able to - by that I mean, no idea what I would need to buy and how I would buy it/find it in France.
I'm not too familiar yet with all the shops in france, and I know we got a DIY shop....but put it this way:
A stupid converter from UK to EU (electricity was 15€...) whereas in JD sports here, not even a god damn DIY store, more of a clothes or shoe store has them fro £1.50 - can you see the difference here, french are useless lol

I do literally no shopping in france, especially for tech - rather import them in from the UK and its STILL CHEAPER...

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #29 of 42

Quote:
Bad? not necesarily... but the dent may become permanent. Whether it bothers you from a comfort standpoint is up to you. Many people get some foam padding (camp bed, or pipe insulation, or pool noodle, etc) and add a larger diameter foam pad around a stand like that one, to prevent the denting.

Of the ones posted, I too, would probably prefer the aluminum one. 

I generally wrap my denon cable up and put it under the headband to prevent that crease you are talking about from forming. I also notice from your pic that your that guy who does all those reviews on youtube on audio gear right? I remember you did a review on the IE8 and hated it.I was the one replying "maybe you need a good amp to get the full potential out of these because they sound amazing to me" lol

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #30 of 42
Regarding the banana stands - see I've tried looking although the more I think about them the more I don't want them - the reason I'm not leaning towards them is due to the fact that they are a thin (usually) branch, almost like the metal branches, if anything less stable than the wooden branches.

The thing I would need, as seen from the above picture, would be a big foam padding to not damage the headphones, ie. yenny's ones

Bowei's one looks the best, although didn't like the colour, as it wouldn't suit anything on my desk (lol)

That said I still haven't found a banana stand in shops - and would probably have to buy it online.
Looks like, unless I find something by luck today (I went to literally every store I could think of yesterday), I'll settle for the ebay ones, question will be will they hold, or will they be good, or are they too expensive for what they offer.

I would love to even buy a DIY one from one of you guys, but I fear that you guys are in the US - shipping etc won't make it worth while methinks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back