Seeking help/advice with power cables
Nov 28, 2020 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ThanatosVI

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

Not sure if this is better here or in the cable subforum.
My system nears completion and yesterday I started with Power Management.
I included a PS Audio stellar P3 and it brought an obvious change to the sound.

Now I am thinking about Power cables.
I'd need 3-4 in total (amp, dac, Power regenerator itself and next year for the streamer)

Which Power cables are worth recommending. How Big is the difference between something like
Stock vs 200€ cable?
200 vs 400€ cables?
Are there dimnishing returns, or is it more like entry level cables only give very little Benefits while it becomes much more apparent After a certain price/quality?

Would it be adviceable to get a better cable for the amp while something more basic is sufficient for DAC and streamer? (Since it draws more current, in my case a tube amp with up to 140w nominal consumption)
I.e. something of the Class like an Audioquest thunder for the amp, while nrg-z or monsoon is enough for the rest

How are lampizator cables?
They offer Half price when buying a bundle of 5

Looking forward to your Input.
Please keep the recommendations in the 3 Digit realm per cable

Nov 28, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #2 of 5
Nov 28, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #3 of 5
Power cables should make no difference with properly designed equipment. Ask in the cable forum and they'll likely tell you different, but that's why there are different rules for most cables forums. It's an echo chamber.

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 5
Usually, decent power cables will provide a better contact point at either end, and shield against high frequency noise being picked up, which can enter a device and possibly interfere with the sound. I DIY'ed all my power cables using shielded cable and Oyaide plugs. I can't say for certain if it makes much of a difference. What DID make a noticeable difference was plugging my system into a dedicated power point separate from other devices, such as computers. The best thing I recommend is experiment -- if possible, borrow different cables, power conditioners and anything else to see if you notice a difference. Generally, high-frequency noise will make a system sound brighter (sometimes mistaken for better) and lowering the noise will make it sound darker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back