Seeking headphone recommendation 400 to 500 usd closed back with mic control
Jul 9, 2015 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Andreeww

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently on a hifiman he-400i. However, I often use my cell phone to listen when I am outside, so I don't like the open back design and lacking mic control makes the headphone hard to use. Therefore, I want a closed back one with mic control cable(at least one button to let me skip song tracks). In addition, the recommendation should be no heavier than 400i, which is 13.05 Oz / 370g / 0.82 lb. What's more, it shouldn't be uglier than my current one.  Is there any recommendation between 300 to 500 usd? As far as I know, oppo pm 3 is a good choice. Is there other good options. FYI, as long as I settle on a decision, I will sell my he-400i. Anyone who wants can contact me.

Jul 9, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 12
Consider the NAD HP50: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50#WFRehmdpPGpv2Mcc.97

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 12
Might try this list and see which ones have mic control: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed#WxS0RvFZOf3omyF6.97

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 12
If you want a good looking headphone stay far away from the NADs. That headband is unnecessarily dorkified. 

I haven't heard them but the Bang & Olufsen H6 are really nice looking and sport a mic with volume controls.

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 12
Since you have a sizable budget, you might as well go for some iems. Custom or universal is all up to your preference and how involved you want to get. If I were to recommend any iems in your budget, either the fidue a83 hybrids, the shure se535, the ue900, or the westone um 40pros. In the realm of ciems, you can pick the alclair reference triple balanced armature(BA), the 1964 v3 triple BA, the earwerkz supra 2 double BA, or the 1964 qi, which is a bit over budget, but very worth it for a proper basshead. If you were truly set on a pair of headphones, I can vouch for the momentum 2.0s, the hp50, the b&o b6, or the beyerdynamic t51p. I do recommend iems, tho, they have a better market than the closed back headphone market.

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #9 of 12
Any other suggestions?

Another suggestion would be keeping your HE-400i for home use and getting a cheaper easy to drive closed back or IEM with a mic as an everyday portable beater that you don't care if it takes some abuse or doesn't have the best audio quality. That way you can enjoy the beneifits of having an open back audiophile can and something very portable and manageable when you're on the go. 

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #10 of 12
 Another suggestion would be keeping your HE-400i for home use and getting a cheaper easy to drive closed back or IEM with a mic as an everyday portable beater that you don't care if it takes some abuse or doesn't have the best audio quality. That way you can enjoy the beneifits of having an open back audiophile can and something very portable and manageable when you're on the go. 

Thank you but the unfortunate thing is that I don't live at home, I live in dorm at school.

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #11 of 12
Thank you but the unfortunate thing is that I don't live at home, I live in dorm at school.

Oh ok, so you live in a situation where regardless you don't have as much privacy and need a closed back headphone. Are any of the mentioned headphones sparking your interest? Anything you are leaning towards or anything putting you off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back