Seeking good impedence adapter
Dec 29, 2009 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

yumigator

100+ Head-Fier
If anyone has the appropriate equipment, could you please measure the impedance on UE sound level attenuator for me? I'm looking to build/buy something with a similar impedance, but in a more convenient form.

Alternatively, if anyone has UE IEMs, is there some other impedance you have found that sounds better than the one in the SLA? I have super.fi 3s, and while I don't think I need an amp, none of my players/sound cards can power them well - they hiss and they sound dull. With the SLA, it sounds much better.

Finally, does anyone know a good impedance adapter with a straight plug, compact jack (not as bulky as the UE one) and a short length of cable (5-15cm) between them? Or perhaps you could build me one for a fair price?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Dec 30, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 10
Dec 30, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head-Direct.com | YUIN

Probably as close as you'll get outside of having one built.

Canare is really good cable, so assuming they use a good resistor, that's probably a really good choice.

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for all your responses. I really appreciate it!

I did see the little ones available on eBay, but since I've got an iPod touch, which has a pretty weak jack, and I'm putting it in my pocket, I think having a really long plug would be risky (I just sent mine back to Apple under warranty because the jack loosened up).

That Dowin cable from Head-Direct looks just about perfect. I can deal with the length, seeing as the UE cables run a little short to begin with. If the UE one is 100, then 75ohm sounds fine to me. Looks like a reasonably-priced, higher-quality version of the official Ety cable.

Thanks again to everyone who replied!

Dec 30, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #8 of 10
I measured my UE attenuator, and it came out as 114-115 ohms.

My suspicions are as follows:
1) It is actually 100 ohms +/- 10%. Probably the simplest.
2) It is 114 ohms +/- 1% for an even 130 ohms with UE's typically 16 ohms impedance.
3) It is 115 ohms +/- 1%, because 115 ohms is easier than 114 ohms.

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I measured my UE attenuator, and it came out as 114-115 ohms.

My suspicions are as follows:
1) It is actually 100 ohms +/- 10%. Probably the simplest.
2) It is 114 ohms +/- 1% for an even 130 ohms with UE's typically 16 ohms impedance.
3) It is 115 ohms +/- 1%, because 115 ohms is easier than 114 ohms.

Awesome, thanks!

If I can get my hands on a meter, I'll measure mine, and maybe we can figure out which it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back