seeking for top notch record and mastering quality music
Mar 12, 2010 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

laobrasuca

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

i'm doing some tests on my audio equipment, thinking about change some components, and I was wondering what kind of record in the market can bring more clearly to my ears the difference in quality, resolution and etc between my different components. Could you guys suggest me what you personally think it is the top quality record today in the market, regardless the music style? What do you listen when you want to compare audio equipment in every respect? For example, I think that all songs in the luca's movies use the very best equipment and audio professionals in the world.

I'm relatively new here, I did a quick search in the forum but didn't menage to find any thread on this. If exist one, i'd be glad to know. If not, it could be a good idea to stick a thread with a list of what the head-fiers think is the master audio recoding. Or maybe open a vote, why not?
smily_headphones1.gif

thx for your time,

lao

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by laobrasuca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I was wondering what kind of record in the market can bring more clearly to my ears the difference in quality, resolution and etc between my different components.

Any kind. You just need to know the idiosyncrasies of a concrete record to notice the advantages and the weak points of a system.
There's no a perfect record. The so called audiophile records are tricky things because their pecularities are not so obviuos and often are accepted as a reference for tunning systems. Some records sound amazing on someone's rig and suck on another. It's naive to say that you listen to instruments on your system. We must bear in mind that we're listening to RECORDS. No perfect record => no perfect system.

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 7
I like the new Reissue "Blue Notes".......Also some of the Original Mobile Fidelity Lps are great for system tuning.... I use Little Feat "Waiting for Columbus" code MFSL-2-013 only because I've used it as a reference for years...So I can hear any changes when I reinstall or change VTA on some of my cartridges.....The New "Groove Note Record" of The Anthony Wilson Trio 45 rpm is recorded nicely.........But as Brat said above "There's no a perfect record"period... you just have to know how each LP is suppose to sound.. Confused even more now???? Go with what sounds good on your system, That's all that matters....enjoy and good luck!

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 7
The best music you can use for testing. Is music that you know well and truly.

Mar 14, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrumpOrMonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best music you can use for testing. Is music that you know well and truly.

Bingo. A new, superlatively remastered album will be a hindrance over an album (well mastered or not) that you've been listening to for years and know every sonic inch back-to-front.

Mar 15, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 7
hi all, thx for your time
smily_headphones1.gif
you seem to corroborate that no record is perfect (at least not in every gear) and the best I can do is to find my reference
biggrin.gif
Well, I'm trying, not easy, but i'm trying. I've listened to some classical and it is true that some of them are so sweetly recorded!

9pintube, thx for the hint on Waiting for Columbus, they've done a real good job on recording and mastering, very nice, my sens sings from everywhere and in all frequencies
biggrin.gif

fatcat, this seems to be the thing i'm looking for. i'll get a look a little closer. It seems that they have a second one. Thx for the hint
wink.gif

brat, trump, gazza, thx you guys for stopping by and give me a little of your time/experience. i appreciate that
smily_headphones1.gif

God bless you all,

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back