Seeking for purchase help (Over-ear under 300€)
Dec 10, 2019 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Shishigami Reishin

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm new in the magnificent world of audio and I'm posting on this forum to have advices from people with a much more advanced level than me.

I have actually a WH-H900N and I love how it sounds with ANC on. I love that type of sounding and it was the very first "good" headphone I've ever used.

I'm willing to change because It started cracking in the right hear after like 8/10 months of using. When ANC is turned on, I have like a light "blowing" sound in the right hear, and It pops/crack randomly. It's very annoying for me because I have good ears (I made my father listen to this problem and he didn't understand what was disturbing me)
I'll sell it later so if someone knows how to fix that, it would be nice.

So, to go back to the main idea, I had the Sony WH-1000XM3 in thoughts, for purchasing, but I've read a TON of reviews and those are according to say it doesn't have a neutral sound and it got kind of emphasized bass. I don't hate bass, tho it may be too much for me. I like bass if it's good but not too much.

I only use my headphone wired on my PC. So, the ANC mode is not mandatory but on my WH-H900N I really like how it sounds when it's activated (this "confined-like" sound) so, I don't really know, I would like a over-ear headphone with a good batter life (don't want to be charging it all the time) and a neutral/high fidelity sound. I don't want zero bass but not too much. "well balanced" would be the keyword.

In second thought I've read reviews on the Bose QC35 II which has a more neutral sound than the WH-1000XM3.

My old headphone was something like a 30€ JVC headphone and I like how they sound, if that can help you finding what type of sound I like.

For the genres I listen too, it's really various. I'll put a list of artists I usually listen too. But I typically listen to everything except Rap or very hardcore Metal.

(Non-exhaustive list of artists I mostly listen too)-> [Celldweller, Blue Stahli, SOiL, KoRn, Drowning Pool, System of a Down, Linkin Park, Kiemsa, Mass Hysteria, Renard & more generally LapFox music, Shaka Ponk, T+Pazolite, Camellia, Kobario, Korean & Japanese pop & rock]

I don't know what to choose, so I'm seeking for help here ! Looking forward for your answers.

Thanks by advance :).

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 4
Hi @Shishigami Reishin,

While 1000XM3 has a bass emphasis, average 10 % more than maybe it should, depends on you, I wouldn't write it off so the only way to know for certain is find one to demo then decide from there.

For what you're potentially looking for, I recommend the following in no particular order :

Neumann NDH 20
Sony MDR 1AM2

I own both these headphones & NDH 20 is my current Reference & I have used the MDR 1AM2 as Reference & still do from time to time.

Feel free to look at my profile to see if anything else catches your eye as well as ask more when you need.

Hope you have a great day !

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 4
Thank you for your Answer @PaganDL.
I have been searching a store in which I could try the 1000XM3 but it wasn't in test sadly.

If it's just 10%, then It might get acceptable if the sound is good. Is that noticeably more than the one I got actually ? WH-H900N)

I've read some reviews on Amazon of people unsatisfied with some headphones returning them and buying another one. I might order the 1000XM3, test it thoroughly, and then decide whether I keep them or not. Is that option possible ?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 4
Ne pas probleme, @Shishigami Reishin,

Hard to say as I haven't heard the 900N.

I say the average bass response is about 10% though if it really bothers you, just use the phone app to adjust it a bit but only as a last resort.

The only other thing is due to most people wanting situational awareness these days as people somehow can't be aware of their surroundings just by looking around, some companies have reduced the NC capabilities on their NC head gear.
So for returning, generally Amazon doesn't have an issue as long as you don't do too many returns.

As eluded to previously, if NC isn't a big deal to you, the Neuman NDH 20 is among the best at passive NC.
Sony MDR 1AM2 is average to above average for NC.

Hope this answers a few things.

Hope you havea great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back