Seeking for perfection = Mission impossible? :)
Dec 24, 2009 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

shrisha

500+ Head-Fier
I made a mistake recently by listening to my friend's Beyers 990s
smily_headphones1.gif

I was a Denon D2000 happy owner before and thought how lucky I am. But after listening to 990's I was quite impressed by Beyers sound stage and instruments separation. So, I decide to spend some more time with them and after intensive A/B-ing those two cans I identified pros and cons of both. In direct comparison D2000s obviously have a recessed mid and poor instrument separation compare to Beyers, which makes them a less live-like sounding. 990 sounds natural in comparison and shine with classic, jazz and acoustic music. But to my ears they still missing beautiful low end bass and high end trebles of Denons. Beyers bass has more low-mids and doesn't spread as far as D2000 can and the same story goes with highs. I'm getting tired of Beyers a bit after long listening because of some low-mids and high-mids hump on them. I still like my Denons but I can listen to them only after a day or two break with Beyers. If try Denons right after 990s the difference is very obvious, and I can't listen to Denons anymore
smily_headphones1.gif

Unfortunately, I don't have opportunity to get exactly what I want by getting and trying headphones before I buy them. And my question to those of you who tried most of cans around and can tell me which of them have full freq response of Denons and beautefull mids, sound stage and instruments separation of Beyers.
For now I ended up buying Beyers 880 since according to most impressions around they are less bright then 990s. Hope they will do for me for a while.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

Dec 24, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Or go directly to Stax...

x2

Dec 24, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the D7000 would give you what you want.

x2 or an Ultrasone

Dec 25, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 14
The 880's are seriously good headphones, and I'm sure you'll be glad you added them to your inventory. What I'm surprised to see is that you haven't tried a Grado yet. I'd recommend trying a pair of SR-60i's next to see if you might like a change in that direction. I heavily associate Grados with having the most intimate, "live" sound that you can achieve. Other headphones can easily best them in detail or frequency response but Grados can be very involving and that's worth its weight in gold.

Dec 25, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #9 of 14
I felt the 990s were very recessed in the midrange. Perhaps try cutting some midrange with an eq on your Denons, and see if you actually like that sound. After a while, switch the eq off.

Also: drink more whiskey while you listen, it helps.

Dec 26, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the D7000 would give you what you want.

X4

Dec 27, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #14 of 14
the ah-d7000 is less recessed than ah-d2000, but it's still recessed in mids.
had both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back