Seeking an Amp maker and some recommendations
Sep 6, 2002 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Sol_Zhen

Takes his kids to the natatorium every morning.
I'm interested in who the recommended headphone amp makers on the boards are and I’d prefer a battery powered portable in a mint tin. The primary use would be for my minidisc player used with my Grado sr80s.

I’ve seen JMT’s feedback, and would definitely do business with him. Does he have a website up with pricing and ordering information? Who are the other recommended craftsmen?

Sep 6, 2002 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 24
Sol_Zhen,

Tangent, eric343, and JMT build meta42's and I believe they all build CHA-47's and Cmoy's as well. antness I believe is building the Glimore amp. I would try sending any of them a private message to find out details.

A good resourse for information on the DIY amps is Tangents website http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/

Hope this helps

Sep 6, 2002 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 24
Muchas gracias. I sent out some PMs.

Tangent's site says he is backlogged and not taking orders now.

Sep 7, 2002 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 24
Your stuff looks nice, Fixup.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll keep that in mind.
smily_headphones1.gif

However, I'm kinda lookng for a CHA-47 type deal like Tangent and JMT make.

Sep 7, 2002 at 5:13 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Fixup
Try me: Fixup's super mini amp

Very nice! Bravo on making the "Super Mini" amp.

How do they (Super mini & Mini) sound compared to the cmoy's & CHA-47's with similar specs?

Will high impeadance headphones sound good? Since you mentioned in your website "Don't use a gain that's larger than 3, or you'll hear hiss ..."

Sep 8, 2002 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
I'm interested in who the recommended headphone amp makers on the boards are and I’d prefer a battery powered portable in a mint tin. The primary use would be for my minidisc player used with my Grado sr80s.

I’ve seen JMT’s feedback, and would definitely do business with him. Does he have a website up with pricing and ordering information? Who are the other recommended craftsmen?

I've personally dealt with JMT and can recommend him highly. After some thorough discussions he built a very nice dual 9V META42 portable (with DC in jack) for me. He was prompt and courteous to my endless questions
biggrin.gif
and very professionally delivered a fine product. PM him for information. Good luck !

Sep 8, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #9 of 24
Thanks, guys. Head-Fi.org is a helpful forum (thanks to the www.minidisct.com posters for the directions over here).
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been chatting with JMT via PM.
wink.gif

Lots of good reading on the various boards, I've been lurking around and learning stuff.

Sep 10, 2002 at 10:01 AM Post #11 of 24
I see... my concern was only whether it is able to power the Senn HD600 & Ety ER-4s to sufficeient volumes. I don't listen at loud volumes but I have a few Jazz & Classical CD's that seem to be recorded at slightly low/lower volumes & I have to turn the volume knob (On my Total Airhead) up higher than normal in order to be able to listen to the details in the recording. Roughly more than 1/2 way.

I really enjoyed reading you website. I think I must have read through it twice. Anyway, I'm really interested to get one of your super mini amp. I'll PM/email you seperately.

Oops, sorry if I've hijacked Sol_Zhen's thread!

Sep 10, 2002 at 11:49 PM Post #12 of 24
Sol Zhen
If you can afford a couple dollars more, the META42 is worthwhile and JMT builds those as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back