Seeking advice on My First Desktop Set-Up
Oct 10, 2011 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jago

Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm curretnly looking into my first desktop set up at the minute and have been doing a fair amount of reading around for what would suit my tastes the best!

(First a little background for you: I've just recently sold my IEMS to fund a pair of headphones and have always been intrigued by the grado 'sound'!
I went about reading though numerous threads on the different headphones they have. I soon realised i couldn't afford the ones i wanted
(as there all way overpriced here in the UK) and then it happened, i came across the SR60 MOD thread
tongue.gif

After reading through both threads i decided i would try my hand at modding, with the aim of getting decent sound quality for a considerable less amount of cash than say the RS-1/2.
So i purchased a pair of MS1' from alessandro, a set of Cocobolo Cups from Marty and a custom silver cable from Chris_Himself! (both of whom have been really informative and helpful guy's!)

I'll be running Foobar2000, lossless files from my M15X so a DAC will be the first purchase i will make.
My Budget will be around £100ish for the DAC and maybe £150 for an AMP. Pretty strict as saving up for a house with the missus,
but she's agreed with me that i can do overtime at work now and again to fund my hobbies, lol!

I was thinking of the Audio GD Sparrow first, as i also own a Zune HD with the Dock.
(thinking when i eventually upgrade from my first set up, i could use the optical out from the dock with this for a nice bedroom set up!)

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Sparrow/SparrowEN.htm
I will probably go for version B as i've read that quite a few people say the A version is slightly coloured!

and then the Little Dot 1+ for the AMP as i've always wanted to get into tubes, and this seems a decent amp for the price (Also good upgradability with tube rolling)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/348639/new-hybrid-amp-by-little-dot-i
This seems perfect for my needs and seems to synergise well with low impedance phones.

Also am i right in thinking i can connect a dac to my source (laptop) then connect an amp to the dac, plug in said headphone and enjoy?!!

Any advice would be hugely appreciated as im pretty mush a noob with DACS/AMPS.

Happy Listening
smile_phones.gif

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back