Seeking advice for headphone purchase
Jan 12, 2022 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

nyrocker

Head-Fier
What I like and believe will work best based on my limited past experience:

-- large ear cups and non-fatiguing fit
-- open back
-- softer, tube-like, midrange-centric, easy to listen to presentation; mostly used at night with relaxing music
-- much prefer speaker listening and don't use them that regularly so budget is $500+/-
-- using my Lindemann Limetree Network streamer/DAC headphone output; pretty good for what it is but it's not tubes. Hoping I can find headphones that provide some tube richness. Not sure there is such a design lol but thought I'd check with the team here about it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! I've owned four different AT models over the years and could just opt for ATH-AD2000X, but wanted to see if there are other options that will be a good fit. I ordered Ollo S4X headphones and have them now but plan to return them in the 30 day trial window they offer. Ear cups give too strong a sense of a closed-in feel and the sound is too straight-up neutral for my taste.

Thanks!

Jan 12, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 16
Thanks WU and nf! I hadn’t read about the Shure before but I think anything focused on studio work might be too neutral for me. The Senns are definitely worth trying based on how many people really like them. I’ll see if I can find a store that offers a trial.

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 16
Sorry but never heard of a tube like headphone just saying.

Jan 13, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #7 of 16
Thanks buke haha! Maybe it'd be a good product development opportunity for a progressive manufacturer

Thanks Sschaffer, yes I read up on both the 650 and 6xx last night and I will try them next. I confirmed that the Ollo, as nice as it is, just isn't a fit. For my next trial I jumped on a pair of AKG K501's that I found last night . . . I understand they may be close to what I'm looking for also.

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 16
What I like and believe will work best based on my limited past experience:

-- large ear cups and non-fatiguing fit
-- open back
-- softer, tube-like, midrange-centric, easy to listen to presentation; mostly used at night with relaxing music
-- much prefer speaker listening and don't use them that regularly so budget is $500+/-
-- using my Lindemann Limetree Network streamer/DAC headphone output; pretty good for what it is but it's not tubes. Hoping I can find headphones that provide some tube richness. Not sure there is such a design lol but thought I'd check with the team here about it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! I've owned four different AT models over the years and could just opt for ATH-AD2000X, but wanted to see if there are other options that will be a good fit. I ordered Ollo S4X headphones and have them now but plan to return them in the 30 day trial window they offer. Ear cups give too strong a sense of a closed-in feel and the sound is too straight-up neutral for my taste.

Thanks!
I'm not sure about what you mean by tube-like headphones. You can get headphones that have a more musical or natural sound than your average dynamic headphones (for example, some of the AKGs).
Electrostatic headphones (for example, the Stax Lambda series), with a tube amp (energiser), would meet most of the requirements you've listed.

Jan 16, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #10 of 16
I would say HD 600 over 650/6XX but all three are gonna benefit from an amp that provides a lot of voltage.

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #11 of 16
Thanks gimme! Forty years of Senn's! My first cans date back to around that time, they were the light Senn's with yellow foam pads . . . think they were maybe 575's or something in the 500's. Fond memories of laying on the floor with a beanbag chair and spinning vinyl haha. I'll remain quiet about any other details . . .

I'll definitely be trying Senn's but will need to pick an efficient model since I don't want to get a separate headphone amp again.

Jan 19, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #12 of 16
Thanks gimme! Forty years of Senn's! My first cans date back to around that time, they were the light Senn's with yellow foam pads . . . think they were maybe 575's or something in the 500's. Fond memories of laying on the floor with a beanbag chair and spinning vinyl haha.
Unreal! We musta been in the same dorm room :) I had ones with yellow pads too and I cannot remember what they were. I know they weren't 414s because they had a black cup behind the pad all around, and the 414s had unsupported pads.

I'll remain quiet about any other details . . .

I'll definitely be trying Senn's but will need to pick an efficient model since I don't want to get a separate headphone amp again.
I think the 660S is designed to run off a phone but I have not heard it. You could consider Hifiman Sundara or an Audeze LCD-2C. They're both easy to drive and are good all around headphones. The LCD-2C has a sound reminiscent of the old Sennheiser house sound, dark and good :)

Jan 20, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #13 of 16
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back