Seeking a set of saxy cans...
Sep 11, 2009 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

runswithaliens

100+ Head-Fier
OK, I know what you're thinking, and if you want to post some pictures don't let me stop you. What I wonder though, is what are the headphones that really do a good job of recreating the sound of the saxophone? (oh say for 500 bucks or less). I played the sax back in school so I know what a rich, full-bodied sound saxophones can produce. Unfortunately it seems like the sax I hear out of my current headphones is more akin to what you might expect to hear coming out of a Casio keyboard trying to emulate a sax: two dimensional and fake... no sign of the wood in the woodwind.

I wonder if the Senn HD650's and/or the Beyer dt880's... and from a tube amp would do it?

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 5
Yes, the HD-650 and DT880 will do it from a tube amp. Though you might also want to think about the HD-600 and K-501 - they do it better. If you want to go for a dark horse, look for a Beyerdynamic DT48. I played the tenor sax in high school, and the DT48 really gets it right - as well as most other acoustic instruments. Fair warning, though, people either love or hate the DT48. If you can fi d a used one around $100, it might be worth picking up. However, I'm reasonably sure you'd love sax on the HD-600 or K-501. They get it just about right, especially when running tubes.

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 5
The Sax from George Thorgood & destroyers is really nice.. I drink alone. Gear Jammer. Along with Caribbean queen. David Bowies Blue Jean.. Too bad the Sax is out of style with more modern rock.. The sound of a Sac always got my attention & got me moving..

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 5
DT880 - great.
ESW9 - fantastic
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back