See Audio Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #17 of 197
If the Yume's ends up alongside the ER2XR on Crin's list, it'll be because of its tonal balance. I agree that the Yume's the most well-tuned IEM available under $200 right now (probably within the realms of S- going by Crin's metrics) and I find them very pleasant to listen to. That being said, the ER2XR's a good step ahead in the technical department, where I'd put the Yume at around a C+. If SeeAudio could just reify the Yume's technicalities some more - to say, a B grade - I think they'd be set to take the $200 benchmark position. Either way, the Yume's a pretty competitive IEM for its price point.

Feb 9, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #18 of 197
First off, I am reserving judgment until I have had the Yume for several weeks to account for “new toy syndrome”. That said, for me, not having to stick IEMs all the way into my parietal lobes is much more desirable than a mild uptick in technicalities.

Feb 10, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #19 of 197
If the Yume's ends up alongside the ER2XR on Crin's list, it'll be because of its tonal balance. I agree that the Yume's the most well-tuned IEM available under $200 right now (probably within the realms of S- going by Crin's metrics) and I find them very pleasant to listen to. That being said, the ER2XR's a good step ahead in the technical department, where I'd put the Yume at around a C+. If SeeAudio could just reify the Yume's technicalities some more - to say, a B grade - I think they'd be set to take the $200 benchmark position. Either way, the Yume's a pretty competitive IEM for its price point.

wow C+ for technical? i thought i saw some online review praise yume for its technical (cmiiw)

i plan to buy it some days before cause saw a good bundling package in my local store , but now not sure if im gonna buy it or no... i asked some people i know which have similar taste who owned it, but most of them give really different review from each other .... not sure if some of them get faulty unit or there is different tuning in some batch

Feb 10, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #20 of 197
I have a budding suspicion that (at least at this price point) "pleasant sound" and "technicality" tend to be tradeoffs.

graph.png

If you look at the graphs, the Yume's is almost identical to the Legacy 4's, and most people who tried both said they sound different. I believe that difference is in the transients.

More relaxed transients = more pleasant, at the cost of worse technicality.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #21 of 197
wow C+ for technical? i thought i saw some online review praise yume for its technical (cmiiw)

i plan to buy it some days before cause saw a good bundling package in my local store , but now not sure if im gonna buy it or no... i asked some people i know which have similar taste who owned it, but most of them give really different review from each other .... not sure if some of them get faulty unit or there is different tuning in some batch

Gotta remember that C+ is based on an absolute scale that doesn't take into account value. I'd say C+ is about average technicalities for most IEMs in that price range. It's pretty rare to find something as tonally pleasing as the Yume in this bracket.

I have a budding suspicion that (at least at this price point) "pleasant sound" and "technicality" tend to be tradeoffs.

If you look at the graphs, the Yume's is almost identical to the Legacy 4's, and most people who tried both said they sound different. I believe that difference is in the transients.

More relaxed transients = more pleasant, at the cost of worse technicality.

Absolutely, I agree that the trade-offs are more pronounced in this price-bracket. However, I'm not sure if it's an issue of transients per se, so much as it is just tonality. The L4 is more upper-midrange forward, you can see it peaks for the ear compensation a couple dB higher on the graph. It also has a fairly strong, lower-treble peak at around 5kHz which makes for a more aggressive, bright presentation and lends to its strong technical showing. I think this is a case of where (perceptively) small deviations can actually make a pretty big difference in actual listening. If anything, I'd say the Yume graphs (and sounds) much closer to the B2: Dusk.

Feb 12, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #22 of 197
280E31D1-09AF-41F1-A4C8-AA0CFDE4CB91.png
Gotta remember that C+ is based on an absolute scale that doesn't take into account value. I'd say C+ is about average technicalities for most IEMs in that price range. It's pretty rare to find something as tonally pleasing as the Yume in this bracket.

Absolutely, I agree that the trade-offs are more pronounced in this price-bracket. However, I'm not sure if it's an issue of transients per se, so much as it is just tonality. The L4 is more upper-midrange forward, you can see it peaks for the ear compensation a couple dB higher on the graph. It also has a fairly strong, lower-treble peak at around 5kHz which makes for a more aggressive, bright presentation and lends to its strong technical showing. I think this is a case of where (perceptively) small deviations can actually make a pretty big difference in actual listening. If anything, I'd say the Yume graphs (and sounds) much closer to the B2: Dusk.

Exactly....that bump at 5K on the L4 is going to be a big difference I think. My Yume IEMs are still a couple days out, but I’m pretty sure they will not sound the same in reference to this graph.

Feb 13, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #23 of 197
Is Yume and Anou the same? I find the way Samsung/AKG tuned Harman slight harsh than I prefer in the highs, and hopefully it's not the case here. Is there any well tonally tuned that has high technicalities? It just seems like people think boosted treble as technical at times, which could just be bad tonality.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #24 of 197
Really interested in the Yume. My FH3 had a defect on one of the shells so I returned them to Amazon. Trying to find my next budget hybrid. Messaged Linsoul to see if they will post these on their Amazon store so I can use some gift card credit toward them!

Feb 13, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #25 of 197
Is Yume and Anou the same? I find the way Samsung/AKG tuned Harman slight harsh than I prefer in the highs, and hopefully it's not the case here. Is there any well tonally tuned that has high technicalities? It just seems like people think boosted treble as technical at times, which could just be bad tonality.
Yes they're the same. Anou is the name in the Chinese market while Yume is for the international market.

Well tuned + technicalities sounds like the Blessing 2, but I don't know what the threshold of "good" is at those prices so it might just be "meh."

Feb 14, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #26 of 197

Feb 14, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #27 of 197

Thanks for sharing. I'll add some notes.

Build:
  • Very lightweight, but still nicely built. Looks handsome, though the design is oddly dark and hard to see.
  • Fit for me is very secure, though not the most comfortable. The shape locks into my ear well, which I like, doesn't come loose during listening. The stems are just a bit long. Helped by using smaller tips than I typically use.
  • The cable is handsome and very well behaved. Thick, kinda gummy. Reminds me of the Faeal Hibiscus cable.

Sound:

seeaudio-yume_st.png

• Damn, that's a good-looking graph.
  • Tonally, comes across as neutral with a bit of sub-bass emphasis. Though I agree with some others who've said the bass comes across slightly less than graphs might suggest.
  • I had no issues with treble sharpness or over-aggressiveness.
  • Despite nice tuning, I found Yume kinda boring to listen to. Not because it's "too neutral" or anything, it's just a bit 2D-sounding. Imaging, 3D sense, depth, all kinda weak on Yume.
  • Probably related, I find midrange detail a bit soft, even smeary with busy tracks.
  • For a nice neutral target budget IEM, I prefer ER2XR by quite a bit. Would hope a hybrid might improve on the detail and imaging, but I think Yume is weaker here than ER2.
  • FH3 tuning is a bit more colored, but doesn't sound "wrong" to me at all, and I think FH3 is much stronger in the imaging and depth aspects of sound than either Yume and ER2.

Feb 14, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #28 of 197
It seems the reviews I‘ve read thus far have been very consistent. Great tuning, meh technicalities. I do think the one weakness of the ER2XR is the lack of soundstage and imaging (just the nature of the IEM design). So the Yume, as a hybrid doesn’t improve much on these aspects?

I’m actually really curious about the Neo.
Edit: Rephrased, since I haven’t heard the Yume myself.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #29 of 197
BOX TOP.jpg
BOX TOP 2.jpg

top down.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #30 of 197
It seems all reviews thus far have been very consistent. Great tuning, meh technicalities. I do think the one weakness of the ER2XR is the lack of soundstage and imaging (just the nature of the IEM design), so if the Yume, as a hybrid doesn’t improve much on these aspects, it’s hard for me to justify.

I’m actually really curious about the Neo.

Some of the reviews here go out of their way to praise the Yume’s technicalities and soundstage.Like typical for most if not all reviews, different opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back