Second Gilmore Recieved!
May 7, 2003 at 9:50 PM Post #91 of 198
i agree with minya and radrd.

i also find it sadly ironic that the argument over the amp in question was originally stolen from something else.

MaxHeadroom.gif

do you think headroom would win in a lawsuit against the creators of "Max Headroom"? and you're arguing that antness ripped of headroom?

what's that? i can't hear you through all this IRONY.

May 7, 2003 at 10:02 PM Post #92 of 198
If Headroom had named their product something like the "Headroom Eargasmophone" or something similarly distinctive then I think there would be case against someone who marketed a similar product (headphone amplifier) called the "V2 Eargasmophone" or whatever. However, the term "max" is both extremely common as well as being a generally used descriptive term. It's pretty close to something like "Premium" or "De Luxe", which are neither copyrighted or copyrightable terms.

May 7, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #93 of 198
I just realized that Antness is also using the name Traveler. That is just a ripoff. I'm sorry, at some point you are just copying a name, and Traveler is a copy. Since the product isn't even available, he should seriously consider changing the name to something else.

As far as the Gilmore Max goes, I'm still in support of the name. It fits and no one is going to get the two amps confused.

There's a reason why AMD did not name its new processor "Claw Hanmer." The name can't be copyrighted. Unfortunately using the word "Max" is akin to "Claw Hammer." They can't be copyrighted. Headroom should have considered competition when they named their products. No matter how much I like Headroom, I can't fault Justin for using "Max" on his Gilmore V2 Max.

May 7, 2003 at 10:14 PM Post #94 of 198
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
i agree with minya and radrd.

i also find it sadly ironic that the argument over the amp in question was originally stolen from something else....

....do you think headroom would win in a lawsuit against the creators of "Max Headroom"? and you're arguing that antness ripped of headroom?

what's that? i can't hear you through all this IRONY.

[/size]So you're agreeing that these two product names (v2 Max and Traveler) were more than coincidental? It would seem consistent with your last argument.

Regarding your Max Headroom statement: for all I know the MG Head is partially named after an automobile. Context, Grinchie, context.

Sincerely,
Judie

May 7, 2003 at 10:18 PM Post #95 of 198
<grinch> heh name it the traveler42
<maverick_> Cool, and maybe we should contact just about every luggage company known to man and tell them they can't use the name either.

May 7, 2003 at 10:20 PM Post #96 of 198
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
So you're agreeing that these two product names (v2 Max and Traveler) were more than coincidental? It would seem consistent with your last argument.

Regarding your Max Headroom statement: for all I know the MG Head is partially named after an automobile. Context, Grinchie, context.

Sincerely,
Judie

judy, i believe you're misconstruing the direction where i was aiming that post.

even if, for some reason, headamp's product names are more than a coincidence, i see no reason why it should be mentioned, let alone complained about. what i'm basically trying to state is: so what?

i don't see how a similar name is going to change either of the respective company's sales, i would suggest that product and support should and will do the talking.

May 7, 2003 at 10:21 PM Post #97 of 198
Quote:

So you're agreeing that these two product names (v2 Max and Traveler) were more than coincidental? It would seem consistent with your last argument.

Agreed. It would seem inconsistant. Let me see if I can clarify. "Traveler" is just a name, like "Blockhead" is just a name. "Max" has bearing upon the insides of the amp in the case of the Gilmore V2 Max. With the Headroom Max, it is just a name because the amp is not a Maxed version of another amp. With the Gilmore V2 Max, the term Max has greater significance than simply being a name. This is why I don't have a problem with Justin's usage of the term "Max."

However, "Traveler" is just a name and has no bearing on the contents of the amp. Function, yes, but not contents. Considering how many different names can be used to describe porbability, I think using the name Traveler is just as bad as if he were to use the name "Blockhead." Headroom found the name first, so pick another one.

Does that clarify things at all? (radrd said knowing that the argument he has just put forth is pathetic at best.
wink.gif
)

May 7, 2003 at 10:24 PM Post #98 of 198
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
<grinch> heh name it the traveler42
<maverick_> Cool, and maybe we should contact just about every luggage company known to man and tell them they can't use the name either.

[/size]Ah yes, IRC....

I'll say it again -- context.

Man, I feel like if a few of us just started over from the beginning -- Audio&Me and grinch -- that we could have been the best of online friends. Can't you see us hanging out all the time? Yeah, me neither.
wink.gif

May 7, 2003 at 10:30 PM Post #99 of 198
radrd,

I have no problem changing the name of the Traveler as a portable amp. When I thought up the idea, I wasn't aware that Headroom has a bag called the Traveler. After I noticed that, I thought it wouldn't be an issue since one is an amp and one is a bag. Also, take a look at the thesaurus for synonyms to Traveler - find one that isn't already a name of an SUV. In any case, I'm open to suggestions for a name change
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2003 at 10:40 PM Post #101 of 198
Context is nothing, there are oh, 10trillion computer companies with the name "micro" in them, or 5000 amd boards with k7 in it, and nobody has a problem mistaking all of them. in a community this small, I really don't think it matters.

May 7, 2003 at 10:41 PM Post #102 of 198
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
john, whether or not it's legal is something I won't debate, as matters of that sort are not my cup of tea.

I will say, however, that this is something that's more a matter, in my eyes, of what's right and wrong in the spirit of this limited niche, and respecting what was an established brand (formally trademarked or not) in a very limited sphere, and in our community.

I do not disagree with you at all on that. But as the web indicators you posted on another thread indicate we may be growing larger than a tiny niche where people acted more as a widely scattered family. I have become jaded I guess by being constantly surprised by people doing things that I would not even consider. I think part of what has happened here is do more to lazy fingers than intent. Who wants to type Gilmore V2 Max when Max only takes three keystrokes?

May 7, 2003 at 10:46 PM Post #103 of 198
Quote:

I'm open to suggestions for a name change

How 'bout "Gilmore Carry-On."

To carry on is to persist, while carry-on is also associated with luggage used on a plane. Also, I don't think anyone else uses it for their amp name.
wink.gif

May 7, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #104 of 198
Does this dicussion apply to the META amp as well? I have seen Max tied to it on many occasions.

May 7, 2003 at 10:53 PM Post #105 of 198
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by maverick_12
Context is nothing, there are oh, 10trillion computer companies with the name "micro" in them, or 5000 amd boards with k7 in it, and nobody has a problem mistaking all of them. in a community this small, I really don't think it matters.

[/size]Actually, in something this niche-ish, it's my opinion it would matter more. Also consider the fact that complete newbies are entering the community every day.

If you think context means nothing....
  1. Chrysler Suburban (it's a vehicle designed for suburban living)
  2. McDonald's Whopper (whopper can mean unusually large, and I'm sure they make some burgers at McDonald's that are quite substantial)
  3. Baskin-Robbins Blizzard (brrrrr....it's cold and twisty -- like a blizzard)
Again, context is everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back