Second Gilmore Recieved!
May 7, 2003 at 4:54 AM Post #76 of 198
I think an amp called a "maxed out" META42 built by JMT is quite popular. Have you heard of the Headroom Maxed out Home?

In any case, I am glad if the only problem Jude, Elrod-Tom, and JMT have is the name
wink.gif

May 7, 2003 at 4:59 AM Post #77 of 198
Quote:

Originally posted by antness
I think an amp called a "maxed out" META42 built by JMT is quite popular. Have you heard of the Headroom Maxed out Home?....

I don't recall JMT himself ever using that name as a brand:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...out#post285967

May 7, 2003 at 5:06 AM Post #79 of 198
Seems like the thread is heading off topic a little bit.
Maybe we can change directions and have SIE tell us some more of his impressions of his new amp, before we get animosity going between some very nice head-fi members.

May 7, 2003 at 7:45 PM Post #81 of 198
There seems to be some prejudice going on. The people came up with the name, not antness, as for his brand HeadAmp, makes sense does it not? Fuse the words headphone and amp together. I don't see what the fuss is about, it's only a name, not like name similarities never happen in other product categories... I'm under the impression that only moderators actually own a HeadRoom Max, also, how come nobody says anything when they post links and info about HeadRoom and Meier stuff, but when non sponsor info comes up, there's a red flag thrown in, what's up with that? As for the Traveler, antness's version is an amp, not a bag, huge difference in product type.

May 7, 2003 at 7:57 PM Post #82 of 198
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
There seems to be some prejudice going on. The people came up with the name, not antness, as for his brand HeadAmp, makes sense does it not? Fuse the words headphone and amp together....

[/size]Unless I missed something, I saw no discussion about "HeadAmp."[size=xx-small] Quote:

....I don't see what the fuss is about, it's only a name, not like name similarities never happen in other product categories....

[/size]This is a pretty compact niche.[size=xx-small] Quote:

....I'm under the impression that only moderators actually own a HeadRoom Max....

[/size]You're joking, right? I have no idea how many they've sold, but they have a toll-free number you can call -- maybe they'll tell you. If they did, I'm inclined to believe you'd be surprised.[size=xx-small] Quote:

....but when non sponsor info comes up, there's a red flag thrown in, what's up with that?....

[/size]What's up with that is that it's a figment of your imagination. I recall Singlepower and Ray Samuels pics all over the place, even posted by Head-Fi member/moderator Hirsch, and many other members. Wadia pics, ASL pics, Conrad-Johnson, Creek, Cary, etc., etc., etc., etc. Red flags? None of these are sponsors. And I welcome you to call Ray Samuels, Mikhail (Singlepower), Wadia, or Joe Lau/Tash Goka to ask them if I've even so much as asked them to sponsor this site. Sometimes in the dark, you see what you want to see.[size=xx-small] Quote:

....As for the Traveler, antness's version is an amp, not a bag, huge difference in product type.....

[/size]Traveler. Max. I'll say it again, this is a very compact niche.

[size=xx-small]EDIT by jude 05-07-2003 16:03 EST[/size]

May 7, 2003 at 8:20 PM Post #83 of 198
dang... jude's getting flamed for trying to be funny, how sad. I personally laughed at his pic of the max... i guess not too many others here share my sense of humor (or any sense of humor, in that case).

May 7, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #84 of 198
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by AIM9x
dang... jude's getting flamed for trying to be funny, how sad. I personally laughed at his pic of the max... i guess not too many others here share my sense of humor (or any sense of humor, in that case).

[/size]While I see some humor in it, it wasn't really intended as a joke. In the context of headphone hi-fi, had someone named two products EarMax and EarMax Pro, or TwinHead and MGHead, I would've responded similarly; and the makers of EarMax and EarMax Pro, and the TwinHead and MGHead, are not sponsors of this site.

May 7, 2003 at 8:40 PM Post #85 of 198
Jude,

That's a rather poor analogy. The amplifier ServingInEcuador was talking about is called the "Gilmore V2 Max" not the "Max". Big difference. I had originally wanted to call the amp "Gilmore V2-SA" with SA meaning stepped attenuator, but too many people asked what the name was all about. Of course, if someone named something the EarMax Pro, that would be a straight copy of the name of another product, but I would see nothing wrong with an amp called the "Gilmore Pro". These are just standard adjectives used to describe that we're talking about an upgraded version of a product.

-Justin

May 7, 2003 at 8:50 PM Post #86 of 198
If "Max" is not a registered trademark anyone is free to use it however they see fit. If it is used as an adjective it is also fair game.

May 7, 2003 at 8:50 PM Post #87 of 198
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by antness
Jude,

That's a rather poor analogy. The amplifier ServingInEcuador was talking about is called the "Gilmore V2 Max" not the "Max". Big difference. I had originally wanted to call the amp "Gilmore V2-SA" with SA meaning stepped attenuator, but too many people asked what the name was all about. Of course, if someone named something the EarMax Pro, that would be a straight copy of the name of another product, but I would see nothing wrong with an amp called the "Gilmore Pro". These are just standard adjectives used to describe that we're talking about an upgraded version of a product.

-Justin

[/size]I don't see it as a poor analogy at all. This is a pretty tiny niche.

Max, in the context of a product intended as a premium headphone amp.

Traveler, in the context of portable headphone amplification (and the Traveler by HeadRoom is clearly sold in the context of a portable headphone listening system).

If another company released a site-search product named "v2 siteLevel," my company wouldn't sit too still about that.

May 7, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #88 of 198
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
If "Max" is not a registered trademark anyone is free to use it however they see fit. If it is used as an adjective it is also fair game.

[/size]john, whether or not it's legal is something I won't debate, as matters of that sort are not my cup of tea.

I will say, however, that this is something that's more a matter, in my eyes, of what's right and wrong in the spirit of this limited niche, and respecting what was an established brand (formally trademarked or not) in a very limited sphere, and in our community.

May 7, 2003 at 9:01 PM Post #89 of 198
I see absolutely nothing wrong with antness using "V2 Max" to describe one of his headphone amplifiers. Nor do I think he's somehow ripping off Headroom. The Headroom Max and the Gilmore V2 Max are discrete in my mind, and I imagine most Head-Fi'ers will agree with me.

- Chris

May 7, 2003 at 9:21 PM Post #90 of 198
Quote:

I will say, however, that this is something that's more a matter, in my eyes, of what's right and wrong in the spirit of this limited niche

Considering the nature of this "niche," I see nothing wrong with the Gilmore V2 Max being named as such. The type of person shopping for either amp would have to be going on a lot more than name recognition alone. These are expensive headphone amps marketted to some of the most picky shoppers in the world. I seriously doubt that the name is going to confuse anyone. Furthermore, I don't think it is inappropriate for the Gilmore V2 Max to be called "Max;" actually, I think it might be more appropriate than the Headroom Max being called "Max". Considering this is the V2, but instead Maxed and the Headroom Max is not actually derivitive of any of their other amps (AFAIK), using the term "Max" actually makes more sense with the Gilmore than it does on the Headroom Max. I think Headroom should have called it something else like: "Uber Expensive."
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back