Seattle Secret meet 5/31/2015
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #16 of 34
  Hey Guys, that was fun - and thanks again to EricR for hosting at his office. The problem with these meets is that the conversation is so good, that it is hard to take the time to actually listen to all the goodies that are spread around us. It is not too often in life to be surrounded by those that share the same passion. It would have been easy to have stayed all night into the wee hours of the morning. If it wasn't a work night with morning meetings, I would have probably stayed much later.

The shinning stars of the night were multiple this time:
  • HE1000: snip

• The ROK: Again, thank you JohnJen for allowing me to hook his new Schiit Ragnarok into my system to give it a great audition. Bottom line, this amp will drive any HP to its best quality. It is transparent in its delivery, but very dynamic in its SQ that squeezes everything it can out of the sound file. The be fair, this may not be your mothers Ragnarok as JJ never leaves good enough alone. If you are interested in how JohnJen, upgraded this beast, you will have to ask him, but it sounds awesome. snip
  • Garage 1217 Project Sunrise 3: AtomicBob's MSD192 DAC > Sunrise 3 AMP setup was a real surprise. Listening through HD650s, I was treated with what was called a reverse mod A/B with the mod removed. It was a two step process that required an extra piece of cable in the chain and a software change, so it wasn't instantaneous, but it was reasonably fast to do. The idea is that by reversing the channels so that one was pulling negative current from the amp and the other positive rather than both pulling from the same side, the amp had more juice in both channels to drive the headphone and maybe less interference from the other channel. The result was stunning. The sunrise sounded incredibly black to begin with if you read about its build, but the mod took it to another level. This is a mod that I would like to figure out how to apply to my home stereo as well as my desktop to see the results.
  • Junk vs. High-End Cables - Power and RCA Interconnects: We A/B'd generic verse nice power cables and were surprised by the results. We had generic power cables to compare to a Cryo'd Copper power cable and a Silver power cable. Immediately, I could hear the copper and silver power cables widened the sound stage considerably with surprising results. Playing Chesky demo tracks, the sound became lifelike and behind me where I turned around and looked thinking it was someone in the room behind me. Then the A/B was a bit shocking - however, only done on the ROK. All 3 that were blind tested thought that the silver power cable was the best, but confused the generic with the Cryo'd. Yet, we all heard the difference between A/Bing the generic and Cryo'd with not blind testing. Regardless, the test was enough to convince me to get a new power cord for both the amp and the DAC. The silver and copper RCA upgrades felt like they made a difference as well, with the silver being better. I will need to purchase the upgrade RCAs myself to be able to do some long term testing to better determine the percentage value. In the end, I think that the effect is additive as I put the best of everything together to conclude and the result was stunning with the HE1000 and my LCD2.2.

NOTE: JJ pointed out that the power strip had limited the output that was provided by the wall plug that was a cheap plug limiting the total power provided. He had a test unit to show total potential. So the results may have been significantly different with a short straight run from the panel into an audiophile grade outlet like at JohnJen's house that he measures a 10x increase in total power on tap. My feeling is that smaller pipes are noisier than bigger ones and every bend in the pipe (connection) creates additional noise in an additive way. So big, short, straight pipes = quiet.

I too want to thank our generous host for the evening, just enough of everything with a fine collection of folks with enough curiosity and willingness to try a bunch of crazy ****.
My kinda crowd…
atsmile.gif

I brought my ASCC tester (Available Short Circuit Current) and the plug in strip being used roughly cut the near instantaneous current delivery in half, from the wall plug it was plugged into.
I've been running tests and gathering data about various aspects of this and the results are interesting to say the least.

Atomic Bob's setup was the schitz, it astounded me at how good it sounded.  And being able to (fairly) easily play with the channel reversal trick by 'turning it on and off' was a way to gain further insights into what's going on.

I encourage everyone to try it for themselves to see if it makes any changes let alone an improvement (and I have yet to notice a lack of improvement…)  
It's a DIY'rs dream come true.
It costs nothing in terms of parts, and can be easily incorporated into any system with but few limitations.

And they are…
You HAVE to be able to reverse the polarity of the digital signal being sent to the DAC in only ONE channel.
This usually requires DSP (Digital Signal Processing) to accomplish.
AND
You need to be able to revese that same channels wires as they connect to the driver either in the headphones OR in the cable that feeds that very same channel.

This essentially runs one channel 'backwards' in terms of polarity with respect to the other channel.

The 'effects' of this mod are especially noticeable when you have an amp which uses dual triodes where the left and right channel are present in the same tube.

Lastly it shouldn't make any difference whether you are running in balanced or SE mode.

Of course, if you implement this mod PLEASE report back with any observations good or bad.

We do need to amass real time observations from a variety of systems and users.

JJ  
atsmile.gif

ps. This mod can help power amps work mo' bettah…

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #17 of 34
Wow, i totally missed this. Is there someplace I could sign up for being invited to the next meet. I didn't know there was anything local around me. I live in bothell currently and soon to be with my fiance in everett in about a month or two from now. I would like to get together with some locals to hear some new gear and share my gear to those who are curious too. Please PM me with any info please! 

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #18 of 34
  Wow, i totally missed this. Is there someplace I could sign up for being invited to the next meet. I didn't know there was anything local around me. I live in bothell currently and soon to be with my fiance in everett in about a month or two from now. I would like to get together with some locals to hear some new gear and share my gear to those who are curious too. Please PM me with any info please! 

Hey bimmer, we can PM you on the next mini-meet. However, with the big meet coming up in July, it will probably be after that. Are you going to the big meet?

Jun 9, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #19 of 34
I don't know anything about any meet.

Jun 9, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #20 of 34
I don't know anything about any meet.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/765532/seattle-summer-redhook-meet-7-25-2015

The smaller meets really are an invite-only, so it helps to get to know a few of the guys that attend regularly. The big meets are more for a come one come all event where you'll get to audition A LOT of different gear and meet a good amount of the members from the area, including some from BC and OR.

Jun 9, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #21 of 34
Well I live about 2miles from the red hook brewery so should be there next month. That's a ways out. But sure :)
I'm up to bring my gear and share it for those who might be curious to hear some of the audio-Gd stuff.

Jun 20, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #22 of 34
Well I live about 2miles from the red hook brewery so should be there next month. That's a ways out. But sure
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm up to bring my gear and share it for those who might be curious to hear some of the audio-Gd stuff.

Would love to hear the DAC19! I was very impressed by the NFB-1. In fact, the NFB-1 has to be the best DAC I've heard yet. Audio-Gd makes great stuff!

Jul 3, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #23 of 34
Seattle Head-fiers are so Notorious for Secret Meets....... If you got new gear and you want peeps to listen to it, We will, we will. There is not too many meets where we are not at somebody's house or work listening to new gear between meets. This is the reason we do meats quarterly... Somebody has new gear and an audience is needed.......

Jul 3, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #25 of 34
  Yes!  Count me in.

Be careful, we usually have the most surely crowd. With food and a few adult beverages mixed in. And some deep discussions..... With some A/B / Blind testing going on........

Jul 4, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #27 of 34
  C'mon Gil - been there, done that.   
beerchug.gif

Not lately, it is a 400 class on Head-Fi... With all the Bene's.... Pm or sms me... get you in the loop

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #30 of 34
That is a great price but there is only one unit available and it is wired for 220V. Otherwise I would get a second one in the blink of an eye. Similar to the Yggdrasil, if you let the Mousai have power for at least 24 hours, there is a noticeable change in the audible dimensionality, for the better. Much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back