Seattle Meet Impressions Thread 11/17/2007
Dec 5, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #31 of 54
Yes, on the KSC75 recable, I've requested the 75ohm resistor. On the Ety cable, no, I had Alex make it with no resistor because of my usage habits. I actually have the Ety cable in hand and ordered the KSC75 two days ago.

Dec 5, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #32 of 54
So Young, how do you like the ETY cable?

Dec 5, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #33 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know it took me a while to give my 2 cents at the meet. I was in the middle of moving on the day of the meet.

We're glad you could make it. Amazed that you did, actually!
Quote:

... my PSP was not able to pump enough juice to listen to the Headroom Portable Desktop amp with any authority.

That was interesting, and I wonder if there were some other things at play: impedance, output voltage...Might be worth some time sleuthing this out.
Quote:

Oh yeah There was a wager between bhjazz and I on how the the strap went on the Headroom Portable. Proceeds go to Head-fi.

You won that one. I'll get my dollars together!
Quote:

And who are the lucky ones to get a CMOY board from Joshatdot besides me? I was running out the door.

I know I didn't luck out, but I hope this will mean some new DIY'ers in our group. That would be cool!

Dec 6, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

So Young, how do you like the ETY cable?

Here's my edited impressions that I posted on another forum:

Ever since the cable on my ER4P began cutting in and out, I had been thinking about whether I should go for [AK]Zip's cable (costs about the same as the Ety itself) or send it to Etymotic for repair (said to be $50). After hearing APureSound recabled KSC75 at a recent meet, I became convinced that it was worth it. I had no question about the workmanship as Alex is well regarded. My trepidation was about the degree of improvements that would be achieved. My only complaint about the ER4P/S sound was that it can sound a tad thin at times, and it seemed that Alex's cable would address this.

As the thread title states, this is just my impressions of what I'm hearing and I'm still a newbie so take my comments for what they're worth, about 2 cents. I've listened with the cable less than an hour (not burned in if that's an issue), so you may see giddyness over a new toy in my comments. I also used a 75ohm resister connector that Alex sent, so essentially, I'm talking about the ER4S. I have a second ER4P with the stock cable, and I used the triple flange on both ER4P. Source was my iRiver iHP-140 (ALAC files) and amp was a MisterX PINT.

Physically, there is no additional layer of sheathing like the stock Ety cable but the stiffness and flexibility is about the same as stock cable. I didn't perceive a significant different in micronics either. That said, I love the braiding. It looks so organic (bundle of nerve fibers).

And now the sound... I listened to a few Alison Krauss songs as well as a couple of tracks from Korean CCM albums. Three things jumped to me immediately. First, acoustic guitars sound amazing and real. Second, the sound didn't seem like it was being generated inside my head, typical of IEMs, but rather closer to the openings of my ears, more like headphones. Third, the soundstage got bigger -- deeper and wider.

Overall, there was better detail and texture to the sound and better punch from the drums. All this had the effect of making me feel like I was brought closer to the front of the stage, somewhere between the middle rows and the front rows. In comparison, the stock cable makes it seems like I'm somewhere between the middle rows and the back rows. Clearer and more detailed transients ever so slightly fattened the sound.

My only minor quibble with the cable is with the angle of the connectors to the drivers. On the stock cable, the connector angles the cable about 35 degrees. With the APureSound cable, the cables are positioned at 90 degrees to the driver (see photos above). This means the cable rubs against the side of my face. While this isn't a big deal and not bothersome to the point of annoyance, it would be good to see Alex address this in the future.

Others have mentioned to me that the 90 degree angle of the connectors is useful for wearing the IEMs over the ear style, like the Shure IEMs.

If it hasn't been made apparent already, I really love what the APureSound cable does with the ER4P. I've tried other IEMs (E500, super.fi 5 Pro) and I prefer the Ety by a long shot. I'm glad to have found something to enhance that experience. I look forward to using the cable with my Gilmore Lite which is currently sitting in my office. I found recently that the ER4S responds well to the GLite, and portable amps don't do the ER4S justice. I also look forward to improvements with cable/ear burn-in.

Dec 7, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #35 of 54
bummer, I moved to san jose, so I can't go to the seattle events......

Dec 7, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #36 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by bugsjr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw a few "shakas" in the last group pictures. Looks like some local bruddah transplants up in the Pacific North West. Aloha!

Aloha bugsjr! Our resident bruddah would be K, shown here:
2007_1117SeattleHeadFi0026.jpg

I offered up some extra Island Style in a few of the photos with him due to my love for Hawaii. Good to hear from you bugsjr!

Dec 9, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #37 of 54
Wow, looks like a great meet. I'll have to come to the next one, can't wait. Hopefully I'll have the new parts of my system dialed in by then. If not it looks like I'll be able to get a lot of new ideas from everything there. Looking forward to the next one so I can join in the fun.

Dec 10, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thesrot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, looks like a great meet. I'll have to come to the next one, can't wait. Hopefully I'll have the new parts of my system dialed in by then. If not it looks like I'll be able to get a lot of new ideas from everything there. Looking forward to the next one so I can join in the fun.

Thesrot: Hey!!! Glad you've found us. We're guessing for an early spring meet somewhere on the East side. Keep an eye out on the "Local / Regional Meets, Parties, Get-Togethers " forum early next year as we fire up the engines for more fun...

Dec 11, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #39 of 54
After I get everything put away in the new pad. I will have a get together. Got space and enough juice. Movin' a little slow since it is so freaking cold. Got 2 grills and are not afraid to use them.

Dec 11, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #40 of 54
Sounds like a plan, Gil. By the way, my APureSound recabled KSC75 arrived today. Sounds superb.

Dec 11, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #41 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like a plan, Gil. By the way, my APureSound recabled KSC75 arrived today. Sounds superb.

Burn them in and then tell me how you like them. Great portable cans.

Dec 15, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #42 of 54
Quote:

After I get everything put away in the new pad. I will have a get together. Got space and enough juice.

Hey Gill, sounds like a plan. I think it would be cool for summertime...barbecues, beer, headphones...!

Dec 15, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #43 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Gill, sounds like a plan. I think it would be cool for summertime...barbecues, beer, headphones...!

BBQ, BEER, HEADPHONES, go all year 'round. Got the stuffed pork chops going as I type, The beer is cracked, But I have the Christmas music blasting. Tis the season. Yeah I guess you Eastsiders must get a permit or something to BBQ all year 'round...LOL

Dec 16, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #44 of 54
Sorry I wasn't able to make it to this one, and though it strains credulity, it seems like you did just fine without me!
eek.gif
tongue.gif
hehe

Hopefully I'll get to the next one because there were lots of toys there I wanted to hear. Nothing much has changed on my gear front, I seem to have almost got to where I'm happy and feel no dire need for more gear. That's not to say it won't happen before the next meet but you never know.

Anyhow, I'm glad it a great success. Kudos to BH for organizing a great meet. Hope to see you all soon.

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #45 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing much has changed on my gear front, I seem to have almost got to where I'm happy and feel no dire need for more gear.

Well, that's why we all need meets: you never know until you see that shiny new SuperHiTech EarBlaster 3000©!!!

Smeggy, we did miss you. There were lots of hushed whispers about your K1000s...we all want them now! Hope to see you at a meet in 2008!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back