Seattle Meet Impressions: June 21st, 2008
Jun 29, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #46 of 64
xtreme4099 has claimed the HighWire Power Wraps donated by Revolution Audio. The Answer Was MAPLETREE Music Festival. Awesome tunes to audition with.

Jun 29, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #47 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not there. I am here.

But tell me, what is the name and who is the mfr of the amp with 8 tubes in 2 rows?

Awesome looking.

That is the George Wright Amp, that Curbfeeler auditioned with a fine
viynal collection, Looks and sounds great Has 8 Tubes

Edit....all better

Jun 29, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #48 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not there. I am here.

But tell me, what is the name and who is the mfr of the amp with 8 tubes in 2 rows?

Awesome looking.

From the Wright Sound website
Wright Sound Company
WHA 22 Headphone Stereo Amplifier
"This new product is not just another headphone product. I thought long and hard about how to make this a better than average box. Firstly, I decided to use SSRP output designs and to incorporate the ECC99 as the amplification valve. The output into the headphones is OTL whereas the speaker output is impedance coupled to lower distortion and extend the tube life. As with all Wright Sound products this is hand-crafted and assembled here in the US using as few offshore parts as possible.
The power supply is very heavy and cool running providing a product designed for years of trouble free enjoyment. The sound is truly fast and accurate, even when driving speaker loads at two watts a channel. This is at home in the office or by your favorite listening chair. There is nothing lacking in this equipment. Using a total of eight vacuum tubes, this unit is larger than many, but it is also better at driving standard headphones. Using my triple C line stage avoids any Miller effect. The high end is revealing but not edgy, and at the opposite frequency extreme there is flat response past 20 Hz. This unit will bring you so close to the performer you may be shocked."

Tube complement includes two of the JJ Tesla ECC83 drivers, two Sylvania 5963 as predrivers and four of the JJ Tesla ECC99. George has two more of the 17 inch chassis on hand, after which he thinks he'll use a 13 inch long by 3 inch high by 6 inch wide chassis. He may add a line output. Remember, this thing has four pairs of inputs including the 1/8 inch TRS on the front and binding posts for loudspeakers. The warmest part of the unit is comfortable to the touch.

Jul 8, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #49 of 64
Is there a list I can get on to be notified before the next Seattle gathering? I'm happy to bring all of my stuff for people to listen to. I think it would have been really interesting to do a direct comparison between those L3000s and my markl D5000s. But I can't bring them if I don't know about the meet in the first place. Thanks.

Jul 12, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #50 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by nnotis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a list I can get on to be notified before the next Seattle gathering? I'm happy to bring all of my stuff for people to listen to. I think it would have been really interesting to do a direct comparison between those L3000s and my markl D5000s. But I can't bring them if I don't know about the meet in the first place. Thanks.

I just check the local meets forum every week looking for announcements in the NW.

I *selfishly* hope the next meet isn't for another few months so that I can get my new Opus running and cased up properly beforehand
redface.gif
I just got my first job offer in Kirkland, so I'm happy/relieved to know that I'll be around for the next meet.

Jul 12, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #52 of 64
Man, I not thinking of maybe planning one at the earliest End of August for the fall sometime. I want to get more gear for the meet. Give us a chance to finish projects and save up for that next great thing.

Jul 13, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #53 of 64
Just thought I might add a thought about Resolution Audio. I was in Seattle this past week to work the International Beer Fest and I was staying in Ballard. I happened to come across Res. Audio while passing it on the 17. I went in later and was in heaven, having never been into a hi-fi shop before. I looked around for a bit and eventually met Larry, the owner. He seemed really cool from the get-go and seemed to enjoy talking about audio. He even let bring back a couple of CDs of mine (which I quickly bought at Sonic Boom, sweet store) and try them on the hi-fi setup with the Wadia and Avalon speakers. Freakin' amazing! Then he got the CD goin' on the AudioEngine 5s (after hearing the hi-end setup it will be hard not to save strictly for a real hi-end setup). Anyway, I had a great experience there and hate that I missed the meet. If I had come a couple of weeks earlier I would have loved to check it out. Enjoy the next one, maybe I'll get around to gettin' to one.

Jul 13, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #54 of 64
MGLDyson, Larry is a great guy. The gear is A+ at the shop. I even picked up a Rega Ear after the meet. The A5's are incredible. Hope you make the next meet.

Jul 13, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #55 of 64
So Gil, any ideas now for the next meet?
biggrin.gif

I bought the spike feet for my amp and DAC, too. I can recognize the difference although it's not like day and night.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #56 of 64
Do you have your gear on a platform with Isoblocks? I did remember? Did it lift the blanket off the sound a little bit? Does the sound have a little more Sparkle and or Punch? Also if you keep the cables off the carpet that makes a Big Difference. I can show you that with my Senns. It gets muddy real quick when the Senn cable lays on the floor. I also just picked up a Furman Power conditioner and that helped the sound too. My next thing is I'm going to try the weights on top of the gear. See what that does?

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #57 of 64
not the isoblock but the spike. yeah.. the bass is a bit fuller. Overall is not much better, but I'm satisfied.
smily_headphones1.gif

About the Power conditioner, I may skip it and save the budget for the source first.

Then probably the amp, (Zana, GS-X or higher one) but not in the near future. -__-"

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #58 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

What kind of Amp in that 2nd picture? Anyone can help? Sure, it looks very cool. Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back