Seattle Meet Impressions (and Pics) - 2/28/04
Mar 1, 2004 at 8:04 AM Post #46 of 68
Did Mr PD make it to the meet? I haven't heard from him yet, and I was curious if anyone had a chance to chat with him after his six hour drive to the meet.

Mar 1, 2004 at 8:11 AM Post #48 of 68
Iron_Dreamer,

IIRC the general rule is ID yourself, but leave the rest free to do/not do so. Head-Fi ettiquite I guess.

Mar 1, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #50 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
Oh, I didn't know that. I could have sworn people pointing each other out in past meet threads.

That's a BOE offense. (Breach of ettiquite.
tongue.gif
) But seriously, most members who have attended a few meets will likely fall into the category of not piping in with who everyone is. Notice how so few have identified themselves from this meet. Eric outright, RedShifter slightly veiled, the rest almost silent. Some don't want to be identified publicly, and we should respect those people's choices. It does kinda suck since we all want to put a face to a userID.

Mar 1, 2004 at 8:48 AM Post #51 of 68
Hey, I'm pooped so this will be short.
My favorite set up there was Eric's Omega II's when they were running off the 47 Labs transport. And, like Eric, I would have brought that CD transport home if I could have. I played Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing on there and I was bowled over.
I was also quite impressed with the modded Melos and my RS-1's. I didn't spend enough time with the HP-1 to get a good feel for them, but at first glance I like them as well as or maybe a bit better than my RS-1.

One more thing, the CD3000. Okay, know I know why some people here are so passionate about those phones. What little time I spent with them, I liked them very well.

I'm the old guy in the COB shirt.
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2004 at 8:51 AM Post #52 of 68
I dont think Eric has put up any of the pics of me with a straight on angle, so there arent any pics in there where you can clearly see my face.
redface.gif
I also seem to have a rear-brain lobotomy in one of the pics!! Like someone took an axe to my head!
eek.gif

Mar 1, 2004 at 8:58 AM Post #53 of 68
Hey before I forget again,
Thanks to Eric for organizing this meet and special thanks to Tim for letting us invade his store.
Thanks Todd for coming all that way, and sharing your toys with us, and for the goodies you brought. I had a great time talking to you.

Also I want to say thank you to extreme4099 for directing me to varioius set ups, and explaining them to me, and to PPL for explaining a lot of technical stuff to me. You guys helped me out a lot.

Mar 1, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #54 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by hottyson
Wow. A girl at the meet!
acl.thumb.jpg

I think that it is too cool when girls are interested in audio. Is she a Head-fi member?
280smile.gif

there were actually a couple of women there. it was nice to have a few pretty faces to offset the sea of beards and bellies.
wink.gif
the audiophile with the long blonde hair really knew her stuff--i'll leave it up to her if she wants to i.d. herself. remember the last time we thought a pretty face had landed here [size=xx-small]*tracylynn*[/size].

like, whoah!
eek.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #57 of 68
OK Having read this thread and a few others, I'm absolutely deadlocked on which headphone amp to order. The toss up is between the Cosmic Reference and the Larocco PPA with Diamond Buffer.
Can anyone please help me out here with my final decision so I can just get one and curl up in the corner purring..?.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Anyone got an impression of the two?

Mar 6, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #58 of 68
Personally, I'd go with the PPA. In my impressions, the full-blown LaRocco PPA was, to me, better than the HeadRoom Max, which theoretically should be better than the Cosmic. Then again, if you want a real laid-back sound, then you may want the cosmic.

On another note, wanted to ask people at the meet a question: Did any of you guys notice when using some of the dynamic amps like the sugden, max, and gilmore, that you had to turn the volume to the max to get anywhere near reasonable listening levels? Its been bugging me a bit, and it seems weird that no one ever mentioned it outside of our meet.
confused.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #59 of 68
Originally posted by SteeleBlayde
Personally, I'd go with the PPA. In my impressions, the full-blown LaRocco PPA was, to me, better than the HeadRoom Max, which theoretically should be better than the Cosmic. Then again, if you want a real laid-back sound, then you may want the cosmic.

Thanks SteeleBlayde! I'm pretty much coming to the same conclusion after a full day's obsessive reading & drooling
biggrin.gif
Just about to order a maxed out Larocco PPA with the diamond buffer as we speak
very_evil_smiley.gif
Heck, time to stop talking and start enjoying...well, in about 6 weeks, anyway
600smile.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 10:59 PM Post #60 of 68
How loud do you guys blast your music?? The max has 3 gain levels (maybe it was on low), but i turn it to the 9 o' clock position (less than 30% of its capable volume on medium gain) and i recieve what i believe is a safe listening level with my senns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back