Seattle Meet Impressions (and Pics) - 2/28/04
Mar 6, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #62 of 68
Re SteeleBlayde's comment on the volume of the Gilmore/Sugden/Max being low???

That puzzles me with respect to the Gilmore. One of my problems with my V1 is that the volume is too high! With a normal cdp output and my Sony 3000's I could barely turn it up at all (max of 6:30 or 7 o'clock with off being 6 o'clock). Even my senn 600's can't be put past 9 o'clock.

I considered having a gain switch put in and external attenuators but finally ended up getting a cd player with a built-in volume control which helps a lot and let's me use other powerful amps as well.

Something must have been going on with the setup at the meet ... maybe the source had an ultra low output or something???

Let us know if you ever figure it out.

Mar 7, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #63 of 68
it was hooked to the cary 303 .. i remember the guy saying he forgot to bring the remote control for it to put the volume higher ... however of the gilmore and max plugged into the cary the max was much louder...

Mar 7, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #64 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by xtreme4099
it was hooked to the cary 303 .. i remember the guy saying he forgot to bring the remote control for it to put the volume higher ... however of the gilmore and max plugged into the cary the max was much louder...

I believe the volume control in the Cary was set quite low.

The Max has an external gain switch that was set to "high", I'm not sure what gain that is. For some of the meet the Gilmore and PPA were actually getting their input from the Max's output so that the combined gain of the two amps would bring the volume up to reasonable listening level... that people still preferred the PPA says a lot.

Mar 7, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #65 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
I believe the volume control in the Cary was set quite low.

The Max has an external gain switch that was set to "high", I'm not sure what gain that is. For some of the meet the Gilmore and PPA were actually getting their input from the Max's output so that the combined gain of the two amps would bring the volume up to reasonable listening level... that people still preferred the PPA says a lot.

Looks like a very unconventional or possibly even inaproppriate setup to compare amps though. Weren't those amps compared with other sources, or just with the Cary in those conditions?

Mar 7, 2004 at 7:08 AM Post #66 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by rsaavedr
Looks like a very unconventional or possibly even inaproppriate setup to compare amps though. Weren't those amps compared with other sources, or just with the Cary in those conditions?

I know that the PPA/Blockhead comparison was on an entirely different source and definitely not in that configuration. Xtreme's comments suggest that the amps were compared also off the Cary in different configurations.

From my own experimenting, it's quite interesting to see what happens sonically when you put one amp after another... try it sometime.
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2004 at 7:47 AM Post #67 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
I know that the PPA/Blockhead comparison was on an entirely different source and definitely not in that configuration. Xtreme's comments suggest that the amps were compared also off the Cary in different configurations.

Yes I understood that, but didn't know what exactly that "some of the meet" meant, thought the rest of the meet could possibly have involved other amps or comparisons of other components.
Cheers,
Raul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back