SEATTLE MEET @ FRONT PANEL EXPRESS 1/21/2012
Dec 6, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #152 of 569

Quote:
I guess I'm the last guy to hear about the meet! I'll have to give PB some grief (which I do constantly anyway). Along with the usual stuff I'll bring a pair of Paramount 300B amps with some adapters so you guys can try them with LCD-2s and the like. We also have a new DAC prototype that we showed at RMAF, that is a step closer to what the final version will be. I'll bring lots of cans too, 800s, 650s, 600s, 701s, QP400s, K1Ks, etc.,etc.

By the way, we're having a get together at Bottleheadquarters on Saturday,  Nov. 19th. The theme is more or less "bring in your Bottlehead kit and we'll help you finish it", but we'll also have lotsa music and some grub. As to future HF meets, there should be a cafe/caterer opening soon in our park, and in a few months there will be a brewery with a tasting room right next door to us. You Seattle guys could rent a van and a driver, have him pick you up at the ferry, have a meet, meet the brewers, and have the driver pour you back on the boat. For non-drinkers there will be an espresso bar opening soon, at Storyville coffee at the other end of the park. I might even get an espresso machine in our kitchen by then.

Sorry to have missed your meeting on 19 NOV. The vanpool and beer orgy is a great idea. I was in Cambridge UK on my birthday listening to the evening service at the Chapel of King's College followed by an organ recital in the same venue. Then it was on to the student orchestra of Jesus College performing works by Mozart, Britten and Finzi.Thanks, Doc, for your enthusiasm in our Head-Fi meets.

Dec 6, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #153 of 569

Quote:
I'm fairly certain there's nothing I can bring to the party, hahaha, like I said I'm a little green, only have some M50's, and my tastes are quickly exceeding my budget, I'm dying to try some Thunderpants or LCD-2's or better yet 3's. My only problem is I want some new cans a couple months before the meet, and I don't think I have the will power to wait that long and really get a good idea of what I want. 

I see dark days ahead for my wallet, dark days

Be strong. Resist the urge for immediate gratification.You and your dough will be parted soon enough.

Dec 6, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #154 of 569

Quote:
I'm going to see if I can time off work to see if I can make it to the meet. I have never been to a meet for head-fi before, but I'm really excited to test out new headphones and amps. 

I currently have these headphones that I can bring:

ATH-AD2000 (headband being repaired by AT right now, hopefully they will be done by the meet)
AH-D7000 

As for DACs and Amps, they are mainly non portable or mounted on my desktop. But I can probably bring my portable iBasso D2 Viper with rollable opamps (only 100 of these made). I can even bring a bunch of opamps to test including a few rare ones. 

I've been dying to test out the LCD-2s BTW. I hope someone brings them to the meet. 

YOu won't be able to turn around without bumping into an LCD-2.

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #157 of 569
Probably not a good place to ask - but I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of Grado PS 1000's.

I don't remember one of those being at the meet - anybody know what a reasonable price is for one of these so that I know what I'm getting myself into? haha

Thanks!

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #158 of 569

Quote:
Probably not a good place to ask - but I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of Grado PS 1000's.

I don't remember one of those being at the meet - anybody know what a reasonable price is for one of these so that I know what I'm getting myself into? haha

Thanks!

Everyone is welcome to come. No gear needed. But I would be super thrilled to listen to your PS1000's if you get them. The price for these seems to be all over the place. Id like to pay $1000? At least thats what I was hoping some time back but I think more is typical. Others should reply though.

Dec 6, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #159 of 569
Regarding things Grado I'll be bringing some really pretty Vixen v.3s with HF2 drivers, if I'm not talked out of them before the meet.

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #160 of 569
Curbfeeler and I are getting together to tie up some loose ends tomorrow. Should be updating the 1st post tomorrow evening sometime. Getting psyched for the meet. Any more thoughts on the "Aftermeet"?

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #162 of 569

Quote:

Thanks!

We only had a demo one at the last Front Panel meet up and I found one of drivers to sound sort of blown out.  Couldn't handle deep bass.  So never really got to hear what they really sound like.  I use to own the original PS1, so was curious to what the new model sounded like.  Just from the demo, didn't really remind of the original at all.  More like an improved GS1000.  I'm not a fan of the GS1000's big soundstage, so the PS1000 wasn't doing it for me as well. Feels like I'm listening in a stadium instead of a small club, which I prefer.  I was a fan of the RS1 and the original PS1 was just a big improvement on that type of sound.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #163 of 569
Thank you everyone for the feedback~

The few experiences I had with Grado have been good but the PS1000 definitely seems to lean either one way or the other with people.

I hope to have something figured out before the meet!

Thanks!

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #164 of 569
I am on the fence of going (just not sure yet) but I think I will.

My setup(s)

Music Hall DAC w/Affordable Audio Mods (Balanced no tube output)
Woo Audio 6
Sennheiser 650
Allesandro MS2
Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors 

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #165 of 569

Quote:
Curbfeeler and I are getting together to tie up some loose ends tomorrow. Should be updating the 1st post tomorrow evening sometime. Getting psyched for the meet. Any more thoughts on the "Aftermeet"?

I spent an afternoon with Gary B (Thunderpants) last week (he says hi, BTW). I told him about the meet. He couldn't commit (he's swamped).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back