Seattle Meet at Bottlehead MARCH 5,2011
Jan 10, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #76 of 238
These meets are what you make out of them.  There's plenty of gear from high-end to low-end to listen to.  Feel free to try anything with no worries.  You can also try your headphones on someone else's system or their's on yours.  Some people don't do much listening at all and just enjoy the company and talk freely about audio without strange looks.   I tend to get overwhelmed by all the gear, so I focus on a few headphones to listen to.  I also have a rare setup, so like sharing it and hearing people's reaction. 

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #77 of 238

Quote:
Honestly, this may sound lame but Im not sure I want to hear better amps. Ive kinda hit my budget limits with the Woo2, Lyr and the phones Im going to buy. If I hear better gear Im afraid Ill feel less happy about what I got. But I do hope I get to test it with different DACs as that is another thing I have on the horizon.

Dont worry about listening to more expensive amps, some people think they make no difference...
tongue_smile.gif
   I would like to hear your woo2. It is a amp I havent heard so it is always a pleasure to hear new stuff.

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #78 of 238

Quote:
hi Guys,

first post here. i'm a total Headphone NOOB and am looking forward to this meet to learn a bit.

i've been lurking for a couple of weeks and realize i need to listen to some stuff before i jump in.

thanks.

ok. so i was going to listen to some stuff before i jump in.

then right after i posted the above post this morning i saw Kelvinz's ad for his Stax O2 mK1 and USA spec SRM717. from my lurking i had figured i was most interested in the Stax direction. and i had read repeatedly about how the O2 mK1 is generally preferable to the Mk2. and the earlier 717 was preferable to the 727. turns out Kelvin is local, in fact he works next to where i work in Bellevue.

small world. fate. what will i tell my wife?

god knows i tried to resist. but alas......Kelvinz's Stax stuff is now sitting in the back of my car.

i guess i jumped in.

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #79 of 238

Quote:
Quote:
hi Guys,

first post here. i'm a total Headphone NOOB and am looking forward to this meet to learn a bit.

i've been lurking for a couple of weeks and realize i need to listen to some stuff before i jump in.

thanks.

then right after i posted the above post this morning i saw Kelvinz's ad for his Stax O2 mK1 and USA spec SRM717. from my lurking i had figured i was most interested in the Stax direction. and i had read repeatedly about how the O2 mK1 is generally preferable to the Mk2. and the earlier 717 was preferable to the 727. turns out Kelvin is local, in fact he works next to where i work in Bellevue.

god knows i tried to resist. but alas......Kelvinz's Stax stuff is now sitting in the back of my car.

i guess i jumped in.

Look at that, you already got it in your sig
tongue_smile.gif

Congrats on the purchase. I will be looking forward to hearing your new gear if you get to make the meet.

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #80 of 238

Quote:
I think its pretty fair to say i'll be car-pooling with our man Ethan and he has once again graciously offered to let me crash on his couch after the "after meet party". I am stoked for this meet and to see all you peeps again :D

Sure thing man.  How and when are you planning on getting up here?

Quote:
Quote:
hi Guys,

thanks.

i guess i jumped in.

Hahaha...one of us...one of us...

Just kidding, congrats on your purchase.  Looking forward to hearing them if you bring them to the meet.  Cheers!

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #81 of 238

Quote:
Quote:
hi Guys,

thanks.

i guess i jumped in.

Wow, this is the exact setup I was hoping to hear at the meet.  I love my current setup but have been curious about Stax for awhile and only listened briefly in the past.  This will help me decide if I ever want to pursue this route.  

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #82 of 238

Quote:

Wow, I didnt even see his stuff up for sale. I bought his d7000 and hd800 from him so he could buy that stax setup. Do you know if he is upgrading maybe to the new stax that is coming out?

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #83 of 238
Can I come even if I only have ATH-AD700? Would love to hear some HD650 if possible.

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #84 of 238

Quote:
Can I come even if I only have ATH-AD700? Would love to hear some HD650 if possible.

Be glad to have you. I have the ad700 also and I think you will enjoy hearing what other cans bring to the table both at the same price range and higher.

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #85 of 238

Quote:

Quote:

Be glad to have you. I have the ad700 also and I think you will enjoy hearing what other cans bring to the table both at the same price range and higher.

Coolio, I hope I have nothing on that day :D

EDIT: Just checked, my spring break's only until March 4 :frowning2:
I hope I can still make it.

Jan 10, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #86 of 238

Quote:

Just so everyone knows, you don't have to even own a headphone to attend these meets.  Just show up and have fun.  If you own gear, bring it because someone might be interested in hearing it.  

I'm sure as the time gets closer, there will be an official sign up sheet. 

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #87 of 238

Quote:

Quote:

Wow, I didnt even see his stuff up for sale. I bought his d7000 and hd800 from him so he could buy that stax setup. Do you know if he is upgrading maybe to the new stax that is coming out?

Kelvin indicated his motivation to sell was that he had moved to a new condo and now listened mostly to his speakers and the Stax had not been used in awhile. i did not really press him about his next headphone plans and he did not mention anything specifically.

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #88 of 238
Hi guys the Stax had been sitting in my closet for over a year so I decided to part with them. My JH13's have become my primary headphone as they are easy and portable to carry around/use in the office. 

My new place in Seattle is small but well sound insulated so my Martin Logan's have been more than enough to satisfy my in home listening needs. 

I'm sure that Mike will become quite the force in the local headfi community! 

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #89 of 238
Good to hear from you again. Good luck with your new place and the added cost of a speaker setup.

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #90 of 238
Aha...new faces and that dazed thrill of confusion...all of you attending a headphone meet will never regret it, at least not financially...I, too, took the plunge and only have the shirt off my back to cry about....

I have gone boldly where I never dared to go before attending my first meet...over Xmas, I landed several choice samples and I am not one bit disapointed...

I will be bringing the following headphones:  Denon D7000, AKG K501s, HE-5, ATH-AD2000.  I may have for sale at the meet a pair of Sennheiser 555, my very first 
set of audiophile cans at a reasonable price....Its time to set my eyes on the HD800 now that I have a headphone amp (Hifiman EF5) going thru a Lavry DA10 that can do them some justice and widen the eyes (snicker...)  of my fellow meet attendees when I reach for the volume pot.

I am really excited to hear the Stax setup because it is on my short list of "tryout" items...and I do need a few more intimate moments with a few cans that caught
my fancy at past meets but I didn't have the power to drive them to my taste....call my ears watt happy and current hungry.

I also hope to audition the Lyr or I might just go ahead and order one, if I can have a chance to get the sound signature of the other two Schiit products at the Portland meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back