Seattle Head-Fi - Portable Club
May 5, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #31 of 112
Added 7ryder and updated inventory.

May 5, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #32 of 112

Logistics: IEM Demo Tips?

I am sure that all of us have seen a few IEMs in the inventory that we would love to try out at the next meet. However, passing around our own personal tips can be quite unsanitary. We need to come up with some options to allow us to try each others gear without sanitary issue. I wanted to through this out for discussion so that everyone feels comfortable sharing. So let me start with some questions to see if anyone has experience here to come up with the best solution.

Questions:
  • Kits: Is there a general kit available for this purpose that provides an assortment to fit all ear shapes and stem sizes?
  • Creativity: Has anyone come up with a universal way to fit any sized stem? It was suggested that my father's W3 foamy cores can be moded by removing the plastic inserts and pulling a silicone tip - that fits his ears with a seal - over the top. We may be able to create a fit kit by each getting a range of foamy inserts for the key stem sizes and a larger stem sized silicone tip to mod as needed. Any ideas or does that sound reasonable?
  • Tip Master: Should we each be responsible for coming up with our own kit, or should we pool resources to have someone buy a larger kit for economies of scale? Do we have any volunteers to take this on if we decide it best to consolidate our purchasing power?
  • Tip Exchange: I have a lot of tip floating around from the various IEMs or kits that I have purchased over the years that include sizes that don't fit me or that I just don't like. I am sure that we all have the same issue. Do we want to set up a tip exchange at the meet to trade for an assortment the right size tips?

Please add me to the list. I own an AK120 and Westone ES5.  

As for demo tips, perhaps Noble Audio has some ideas on this?

I am hoping that Noble Audio may have some ideas as well. However, most of the demos or universals that I Have seen in pictures have the larger nozzle while IEMs like my father's W3s have very skinny nozzles. It is probably the smaller nozzles that we will have trouble with as the silicone tip can stretch to the larger sizes.

Through PM, it was also suggested that we can:
1. use sanitary wipes
2. use robbing alcohol and napkins
3. make a courtesy sign: "please wipe off XX after use."

Any more thoughts?

May 5, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #33 of 112
Headphones:
JVC HA-FX34 (orange foamies)
JVC HA-FX66 (black olives)
Future Sonic Atrio M5
Koss KCS-35 (kramer mod)
Koss KSC-75 (oem)
Grado SR-80 (flats)
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm

DAPs:
Cowon iAudio7 16gb

Amps:
Joshatdot CMoy v1.03

May 5, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #34 of 112
Hi all,

This sounds great, so count me in.

Portable Phones:
TDK BA200
Earsonics SM64
1964 Ears V6-Stage CIEM (in Universal form)

Portable DAC:
ODAC
HRT Microstreamer (actually a portable DAC/HP amp combo)

Cool Amp (not really portable per se):
Project Ember

The V6-Stage are my latest addition and repeatedly leave me very impressed.  Since I had them made as universals it gives everyone a chance to hear a mid-high end CIEM.  I'm very interested in others impressions of these.

-Eric

May 8, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #35 of 112
  Announcement - Noble Audio CIEMs Demos (Saturday, July 26th, Head-Fi Event):

It appears that Noble Audio has accepted our invitation to attend the summer Head-Fi meet in July and to bring their lineup of demos including the K10 everyone is talking about. Lets make sure that they see a great turnout so that they will be encouraged to return in the future. In addition, although I am sure that they will bring their own quality DAPs, it would be good to have a wide lineup of Seattle DAPs to test them with. I will be bringing my X5 and DX90. What will the rest of you be bringing? Will everyone be able to show up for this event? We should also spread the word to non-headfiers so that we can add to our membership given the value that Noble Audio is providing.

Terrifically interested in Noble Audio demos.  Trying my best to keep this date open!

May 8, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #36 of 112

Announcement - Noble Audio CIEMs Demos (Saturday, July 26th, Head-Fi Event):

It appears that Noble Audio has accepted our invitation to attend the summer Head-Fi meet in July and to bring their lineup of demos including the K10 everyone is talking about. Lets make sure that they see a great turnout so that they will be encouraged to return in the future. In addition, although I am sure that they will bring their own quality DAPs, it would be good to have a wide lineup of Seattle DAPs to test them with. I will be bringing my X5 and DX90. What will the rest of you be bringing? Will everyone be able to show up for this event? We should also spread the word to non-headfiers so that we can add to our membership given the value that Noble Audio is providing.

Terrifically interested in Noble Audio demos.  Trying my best to keep this date open!

Please do. The more interest we can generate from members, the more interest we can generate from quality manufacturers like Noble Audio to continue with future demos.

May 8, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #37 of 112
May 8, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #38 of 112
  Hi all,

This sounds great, so count me in.

Portable Phones:
TDK BA200
Earsonics SM64
1964 Ears V6-Stage CIEM (in Universal form)

Portable DAC:
ODAC
HRT Microstreamer (actually a portable DAC/HP amp combo)

Cool Amp (not really portable per se):
Project Ember

The V6-Stage are my latest addition and repeatedly leave me very impressed.  Since I had them made as universals it gives everyone a chance to hear a mid-high end CIEM.  I'm very interested in others impressions of these.

-Eric

I for one would be greatly interested in hearing your V6. I have been very close to buying my wife either the V6 or V3 and have been hoping to get down to Oregon on a week day to demo them. 1964 Ears doesn't seem to be open on weekends when my wife and I would usually be passing through to go to Cannon Beach.

May 21, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #39 of 112
Announcements

• Upcoming Meet: The 7/26/14 meet has been announced and the thread officially started at:
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/719509/seattle-readhook-meet-saturday-july-26th-2014
  • Noble Audio: Noble Audio has confirmed attendance and will be there with their full demo lineup.
    1. Sources: They are bringing an impressive lineup of sources for us to hear their demos on. I know that I will be bringing my CIEMs to compare to the K10 on these sources to see the differences.
      1. Hugo: Wow, I have been waiting to hear one.
      2. AK240: Wow again, I have been waiting to hear one.
      3. AK120: Although in the shadow of the other sources, I have bee wanting to hear this one as well.
      4. Bring your own: They are happy for you to bring your own sources/cables to demo with.
    2. Impressions: They can make impressions on the spot for those that buy.
    3. Promotions: I asked because I knew you would. No, there are no current promotions as they are backlogged in production.

May 26, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #40 of 112
I for one would be greatly interested in hearing your V6. I have been very close to buying my wife either the V6 or V3 and have been hoping to get down to Oregon on a week day to demo them. 1964 Ears doesn't seem to be open on weekends when my wife and I would usually be passing through to go to Cannon Beach.

Don't know about the V3s, but these V6-Stage keep wowing me, even after several months! Joker rates them above the K3003 and the Fitear 334, which in my mind makes them an incredible value. One of these days I'll convince myself to do without them enough to see if he is interested in comparing my V6-S Universals to his customs.

It's nice to not have the upgrade itch. (The new Noble line is about the only thing that's been remotely of interest to me since the V6-S came. Glad (I think) they are coming to the meet. Scratch, scratch.)

Jul 12, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #41 of 112
Double Announcement from Noble Audio:

Announcement 1Noble Audio July Seattle Meet Demos Cancellation - Good News/Bad News
While Noble Audio had to cancel their trip to Seattle for this upcoming July meet which is bad news, they are going to do something even better for us per the next announcement. Brandon expresses his apologies and hopes to make the next meet later this year, but is going to do us a huge favor in the meantime.

Announcement 2Noble Audio Seattle Demos Tour - Stay Tuned!
Brandon from Noble Audio is going to organize a small Seattle demo tour allowing those interested to test their lineup in the privacy of our own homes for an unspecified period of time before passing the collection to the next in the tour. Even better, he is going to include a Hugo to hear the magic of this pairing with their CIEMs. In exchange, he is just asking participants to express their thoughts as they like in the thread. All I can say is wow - I can't wait! He is hoping to set this up to start around the mid-August/late-September time frame. Stay tuned and I will announce the tour with a link as soon as Brandon gets it set up.

Jul 12, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #43 of 112
Universal tips

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #44 of 112
Hey Guys/Gals, who is going to make it to the upcoming July 26th meet?

I am trying to determine if it would make sense to have a shared "portable" table or group people's tables that have portable gear. I am also trying to figure out what portable gear is going to be there so we can plan auditions. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back