Seattle Head-Fi - Portable Club
Apr 29, 2014 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 112

Barra

Headphoneus Supremus
Purpose/Charter:
With a disappointing lack of local Seattle options for auditioning and purchasing portable audio equipment, our only option has been to "buy to try". The Seattle Head-Fi group has been great for auditioning desktop equipment, but the portable gear seems to be somewhat under represented. Our portable club goal is to mainly provide organization for the portable sector to supplement the existing Seattle Head-Fi group in an effort to raise awareness and representation for portable equipment. However, it does provide an opportunity for its members to arrange private auditions, special interest groups, support comparative research, and most excitingly to gain strength in numbers for wining bids for equipment demos for the Seattle Head-Fi group meetings. Therefore, our initial purpose - though open to suggestion - will start with:

• Provide Local Auditions: TBD
  • Organize Local Meetings: TBD
  • Support Comparative/Group Research: TBD
  • Orchestrate Manufacturer Equipment Demos: TBD

Members (PM Barra to be added):
Barra, miceblue, mechgamer123, Horio, 4nradioDrForBin, fp581walterolyericrlabrownSeamasterxtreme4099palmfish1ceaham7ryderJoshatdotMidgetguy[u][color=rgb(0, 102, 204)]H2Ologd[/color][/u]

Let's Get Started:
Please feel free to begin discussing options, changes for our charter, and PM'ing Barra with membership requests and equipment lists to be added to our inventory below. The first order of business of course is:
  • Raise Membership: Raise awareness of the club so we can inventory the current state of Seattle portable gear and interest.
  • Gain Inventory: We need to inventory what everyone owns so that we can plan accordingly and schedule auditions.
  • Revise Charter: This is your club, not mine so we will determine our purpose democratically.

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 112
Local Inventory:

DAPsOwnsHad/Auditioned
AK240  
AK1207ryder 
AK100mk2  
AK100  
HM-901  
Sony ZX1  
Tera Playerfp581 
iBasso DX-1004nradiowalteroly 
iBasso DX-90Barra, 
iBasso DX-50 Barra,
FIIO X5Barra, labrown 
FIIO X3  
Colorfly C3 Barra,
Clip+DrForBin, Barra, palmfish 
Clip ZipBarra, miceblue, palmfish 
iPod Nano 3GDrForBin,  
iPod Classic 7GDrForBin,  
iPod Classic 6Gmechgamer123, Barra, [size=inherit]DrForBin[/size] 
iPod Classic 5Gmiceblue, 
iPod Touch 3Gpalmfish 
iPod Touch 4GDrForBin,  
iPod Videofp581palmfish 
iPad 3palmfish, Barra,  
iPhone 5SBarra, 
iPhone 4Smiceblue, palmfish 
Cowon S9fp581 
Cowon iAudio7 Joshatdot

htc one m7fp581 
sony zfp581 
cowon d2+fp581 

CIEMsOwnsHad/Auditioned
Hidition NT6proBarra, 
Spiral Ear SE5  
Noble K10  
Roxanne  
JH16  
JH13  
1964 Ears V6-Stageericr 
UE PRMHorio, 
Westone ES57ryder 

Amps/DACs PlusOwnsHad/Auditioned
BH2Barra, 
JDS Labs C5D (DAC/amp)
miceblue, 
Objective 2miceblue,4nradio
ODACericr 
JDS Labs C5
miceblue, DrForBin,  
FiiO E12
miceblue, 
FiiO E7 (DAC/amp)
miceblue, 
Schiit Audio Vali4nradio 
NuForce Icon iDoDrForBin,  
CEntrance DACport [size=inherit]Seamaster[/size]

Geek Out 1000 DAC/AMPxtreme4099 
L3 Headampxtreme4099 
Lisa 3 Headphone Ampxtreme4099 
VentureCraft GO-DAPpalmfish 
JDS Labs CmoyBB 2.021ceaham 
Audio quest Dragonfly1ceaham 
Joshatdot CMoy v1.03Joshatdot 

IEMsOwnsHad/Auditioned
Shure SE846Seamaster 
TF10Barra4nradio
Monster Turbine CoppersBarra 
Vsonic GR07 BEmechgamer123 
Ultimate Ears UE900 mechgamer123
DUNU DN-1000 mechgamer123
Aurisonics ASG-2 mechgamer123
Sony XBA-H3mechgamer123 
Sennheiser CX-300
miceblue, 
MEElectronics M9-BK
miceblue, 
JLab JBuds J5M
miceblue, 
Shure SE2154nradio 
TDK BA200ericr 
Earsonics SM64ericr 
JVC HA-FX34Joshatdot 
JVC HA-FX66Joshatdot 
future sonics m5Joshatdot 
Etymotic ER-4SDrForBin 
Hifiman RE-400labrown 
Westone UM Pro 50 Seamaster
Etymotic ER4Pxtreme4099 
Etymotic Research HF5palmfish 

HeadphonesOwnsHad/Auditioned
V-MODA Crossfade M-100
miceblue,4nradio
V-MODA Crossfade M-80 4nradio
Onkyo ES-FC3004nradio 
AKG K 550DrForBin, 
NAD VISO HP50DrForBin 
Phillip-ONeil Bends x4 DrForBin 
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II DrForBin 
ultrasone pro 2500fp581 
akg k601fp581 
Audeze LCD2walteroly, Barra 
Sennheiser HD 595Barra,  
Sennheiser HD 558palmfish 
Focal Spirit Professionallabrown 
Sennheiser HD580xtreme4099 
Hifiman HE-500xtreme4099 
Koss KSC75palmfish 
Grado SR60ipalmfish, Barra,  
Grado SR-80Joshatdot 
Beyerdynamic DT-13501ceaham 
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohmJoshatdot 
Koss KCS-35Joshatdot 

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 112
Meeting/Research Links:

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 112
Reserved: 

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 112
I would be interested. Currently I own an iPod classic 6G, Sony XBA-H3, Vsonic GR07 BE, and I've owned/tried a bunch of IEMs including Ultimate Ears UE900, Aurisonics ASG-2, DUNU DN-1000, and a few others I forgot about.

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 112
  I would be interested. Currently I own an iPod classic 6G, Sony XBA-H3, Vsonic GR07 BE, and I've owned/tried a bunch of IEMs including Ultimate Ears UE900, Aurisonics ASG-2, DUNU DN-1000, and a few others I forgot about.

Thanks mechgamer123, I will add you to the roster and inventory.

Announcement:
BTW, I should mention that Noble Audio is interested in appearing at the summer Seattle Head-Fi meeting in July if we can lock down a July meeting date before the Noble Audio calendar books up. They would be flying out and bringing their demo lineup including the K10 that everyone is talking about. I am not sure what they are bringing in terms of DAPs, but I would love to have a good Seattle DAP lineup to listen to these TOTL CIEMs through.

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 112
I might be interested in a portable meet.  All I have is a pair of UE Reference Monitors.  I've been meaning to get an amp for it since I bought them, but haven't managed to do so yet.  Would be nice to hear some portable amps with the UERM's.

Apr 30, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #8 of 112

Announcement:
BTW, I should mention that Noble Audio is interested in appearing at the summer Seattle Head-Fi meeting in July if we can lock down a July meeting date before the Noble Audio calendar books up. They would be flying out and bringing their demo lineup including the K10 that everyone is talking about. I am not sure what they are bringing in terms of DAPs, but I would love to have a good Seattle DAP lineup to listen to these TOTL CIEMs through.

Thanks! By the way, the H3 is a universal IEM, not an amp. 
wink.gif

Sounds like fun, I may not be able to attend that meet though because I'd be back at home in Walla Walla, but I'll see.

Apr 30, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #9 of 112
Yup, you can count me in the group. I'm more interested in portable headphones, media players, and amplifiers, but I've always been interested in a custom in-ear monitor eventually....some day. I've read a lot of good things about Noble Audio, so that would be quite an interesting experience for me.

As for gear I have:

Portable headphones:
  • V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Earphones:
  • Sennheiser CX-300
  • MEElectronics M9-BK
  • JLab JBuds J5M

Portable media players:
  • Sansa Clip Zip
  • iPod 5G
  • iPhone 4S

Amplifiers:
  • JDS Labs C5
  • JDS Labs C5D (DAC/amp)
  • Objective 2 (more transportable than portable)
  • FiiO E12
  • FiiO E7 (DAC/amp)

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 112
Added Horio and updated inventory.

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #11 of 112
Added 4nradio to membership and inventoried his gear.

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #12 of 112

Announcement:

Thanks! By the way, the H3 is a universal IEM, not an amp. 
wink.gif

Sounds like fun, I may not be able to attend that meet though because I'd be back at home in Walla Walla, but I'll see.

Maybe we can arrange to have you bring and assortment of Walla Walla wines for our events. 
wink_face.gif
 That's my favorite wine region.

BTW, that is the nice thing about a smaller group like this is that we can pull together smaller special events on a moments notice so missing big ones is less painful.

May 2, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #13 of 112
Added DrForBin and updated inventory.

May 3, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #15 of 112
  where and when? i have:
tera,
ultrasone 2500 pro
akg k601
ipod video
cowon s9
htc one m7
sony z
cowon d2+ (or something like that)

Hey fp581, you and your inventory are added to the roster.

We are prepping for the upcoming summer event in July by getting as many people as possible interested and trying for manufacturer demos. If you are interested in CIEMs, DAPs, or HPs for portable or other use, please piggy back off of this club to invite them to our events or to provide demos for us to host. Otherwise, this is an opportunity to introduce ourselves and make sure that we bring our portable gear to the meets. I know that personally, seeing all the exquisite desktop setups, I have been reluctant to pull out my portable gear feeling outclassed. However, I would love to hear what all fuss is about the items that we have no other way to audition in Seattle. Personally, I am very excited to hear your Tera Player given the excitement surrounding it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back