Seattle Area Meet (Red Hook Meet)
Jul 16, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #212 of 247
My gear is getting packed first thing in the morning. Yes I still get a little giddy for these meets. I am having Breakfast (Brown Bag Cafe 8am), Meet(10am), then Red Hook Brewery(3pm). What is not to get excited about the meet? The people, the gear, the activities? This meet is turning extraordinary! The MOT's are way more this time around. Just glad to be a Seattle Head-fier!

Jul 16, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #213 of 247
This is my first head-fi post.   The excitement surrounding the RedHook meet, the good cheer that abounds this group of NW Head Fi-ers, and the promise of relative aural bliss (will explain that shortly) has pushed me over a precipice for which my Domestic CEO will threaten all sorts of dire endings, simply because I quit drinking beer and still have no sense of fiscal prudence.

I hope you all will welcome me to the RedHook meet despite the fact I will probably be the most aurally challenged person there.  I inherited a severe hearing loss at age 5 and for the most part of my life, I have lived and worked in the Deaf community.  Luckily, I never lost my speech and I believe I am an excellent lipreader, though I have no ability to hear or understand another's speech (or singing for that matter).  One day, many chemically altered years ago, a musician friend slapped a pair of Senns on my head and played "Sweet Home Alabama" and I shortly thereafter hit my first Dead show.  I got on the Bus and "that's when it all began...".  100+ shows and 16 years later. Jerry died and I got into live show tapes/  I bought better audio equipment and taught myself to listen to other kinds of music, to appreciate other instruments and musicians.  I do have a challenge with high frequencies and instrument separation, which I conquered by learning "tactile listening", basically listening while holding my hands on the cans....loudpeakers, balloons, etc., anything that will pass a soundwave through, given enough amplification.

I attended one previous meet in Portland two years ago, but have been really nervous about going again, simply because I just don't have the nerve to ask someone if I can turn their amp wayyy up (something like 1 to 2 o' clock on the volume pots).  So I would appreciate a response from someone on this forum thread about that, whether it would damage their equipment or not.  I am really jazzed about a number of amps and phones that have been proffered for a listen.

I have a mind to bring my Haley-Rotel-Opera amp-ATH AD2000- setup (the Cayin is too heavy, but it is a wonderful digital source).  I have looked into bringing a sign language interpreter just in case, but I can't afford their $45 an hour fees....so I hope for your collective patience and open arms.  I probably will be there between 9 and 10 and hope for a seat at the table to share my goodies.

Jul 16, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #214 of 247
Wharfrat, dude you would really enjoy the Head-fi meets up here. We are so laid back. My gear gets scattered through the whole meet and it is OK! We have awesome gear for your liking to audition. Ask all the questions you have. There are head-fiers here to answer them very nicely. The MOT's (Members of Trade) are some of the best in the industry! I will add you to the list. Any questions or concerns please let me know.

Quote:
This is my first head-fi post.   The excitement surrounding the RedHook meet, the good cheer that abounds this group of NW Head Fi-ers, and the promise of relative aural bliss (will explain that shortly) has pushed me over a precipice for which my Domestic CEO will threaten all sorts of dire endings, simply because I quit drinking beer and still have no sense of fiscal prudence.

I hope you all will welcome me to the RedHook meet despite the fact I will probably be the most aurally challenged person there.  I inherited a severe hearing loss at age 5 and for the most part of my life, I have lived and worked in the Deaf community.  Luckily, I never lost my speech and I believe I am an excellent lipreader, though I have no ability to hear or understand another's speech (or singing for that matter).  One day, many chemically altered years ago, a musician friend slapped a pair of Senns on my head and played "Sweet Home Alabama" and I shortly thereafter hit my first Dead show.  I got on the Bus and "that's when it all began...".  100+ shows and 16 years later. Jerry died and I got into live show tapes/  I bought better audio equipment and taught myself to listen to other kinds of music, to appreciate other instruments and musicians.  I do have a challenge with high frequencies and instrument separation, which I conquered by learning "tactile listening", basically listening while holding my hands on the cans....loudpeakers, balloons, etc., anything that will pass a soundwave through, given enough amplification.

I attended one previous meet in Portland two years ago, but have been really nervous about going again, simply because I just don't have the nerve to ask someone if I can turn their amp wayyy up (something like 1 to 2 o' clock on the volume pots).  So I would appreciate a response from someone on this forum thread about that, whether it would damage their equipment or not.  I am really jazzed about a number of amps and phones that have been proffered for a listen.

I have a mind to bring my Haley-Rotel-Opera amp-ATH AD2000- setup (the Cayin is too heavy, but it is a wonderful digital source).  I have looked into bringing a sign language interpreter just in case, but I can't afford their $45 an hour fees....so I hope for your collective patience and open arms.  I probably will be there between 9 and 10 and hope for a seat at the table to share my goodies.

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #215 of 247

With headphones I could _maybe_ see something happening if they're set to truly insane levels, even then I'd think many of those things are built much tougher than how carefully we treat them (I'm a little curious now, so I'll make sure to bring a SPL meter
smile.gif
); amps-wise that shouldn't be a problem at all, if you're still worried crank up the more efficient cans, as that will be using less power to achieve similar loudness.

Quote:

What I find so exciting is that there's going to be so many people w/ same hobby, but with slightly different needs for everyone.  I'm sure there's the classic/jazz diehards that stride to achieve the best soundstage and recording quality; acoustic lovers that want to have the performer sitting in front of them, plucking a tune; bassheads doing everything to get the most tactile feedback from a headset; anime fanbois (myself, and I believe Equus was writing about that as well) that try to make recordings that often sound like re-encoded 64kbps WMAs slapped onto CDs a hi-fi experience; people like Wharfrat that want/need the best combination of loudness and sound quality; and all the other types of people I'm sure we'll encounter.  Really looking forward to seeing how everyone's equipment is set up, as well as the choice of music they bring along to feed through them.

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #216 of 247
Hi Wharfrat,

I applaud your pursuit of your passion, and while I can't say for sure if every set of cans we will have there can handle being played at 11, I can say that our amps will play loud and clean and that you are most welcome to plug your cans into our rigs and set the level wherever you need to bring on that urge to dance. And of course that goes for everyone - we each have a sweet spot on the volume knob, and everyone's is a little bit different.

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #218 of 247

Quote:
I have an iRiver Clix or an old Headroom AirHead that I would swap you for $20 in loose change!  The wife is pushing me to clean house, especially if I want to look at any equipment upgrades, like the Peak.

--Ken

Are you going to have to displace an equal amount of volume as the Peak?  ^_^

Yeah...my mind thinks in strange ways.  Been an inventory planner too long I think.

Hrm...I already have a D2+ and two portable amps, otherwise that would be tempting.

One more day!

EDIT - random question to see if anyone has some decent spare interconnects.  Specifically: RCA/RCA (the interconnect I had lying around is kinda cheapy and I'm curious) and RCA/BNC (currently running optical and I want to check out the digital input via BNC on the DAC).  If you happen to have either of these hanging around that you can spare for the meet, give me a holler.  Thanks!

Jul 16, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #219 of 247

Quote:

I just don't have the nerve to ask someone if I can turn their amp wayyy up (something like 1 to 2 o' clock on the volume pots).  So I would appreciate a response from someone on this forum thread about that, whether it would damage their equipment or not.  I am really jazzed about a number of amps and phones that have been proffered for a listen.

I play deaf ever time my wife complain about something
wink.gif
, but heck, I listen to my WA22 at 1:30 o'clock too. And Big Proppa listen even louder than me......

You are most welcom here at meet.

Jul 16, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #221 of 247
Hey Wharfrat,

Have you seen the bone conducting headphones from JVC?  They might be just the ticket!

Jul 16, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #225 of 247

Quote:
With all this gear for sale will there be a cash machine provided in the library?

Probably not but I'm sure a bank won't be too far from the library =) At the least meet I think there was a bank right across the street.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back