Searching new mp3Player
Jan 29, 2009 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

zulu1

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

my old Thomson Lyra is dead and I'm searching for something to replace it!
Now I've been looking around and I heard some good things about sonys players and also (not really a wonder) about the ipods.

But sony confuses me with their mp3 players theyve got the s, e and a series and I dont know where I should look. What are the differences?

Then if I buy an Ipod it will be the nano. Are there any other alternatives?

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 16
A82X - Bluetooth A2DP (allows you to listen to music with a wireless Bluetooth A2DP headphone). Some are even bundled with a Sony BT headphone.

A72X - Same as the A82X but without the Bluetooth bit.

S63X - Slimline SQ focused player with FM radio. Also has the ability to play Playforsure DRM videos (e.g. BBC iPlayer)

S73X - Like the S63X but with noise cancelling functionality (and sexier brush metal casing).

E4XX - Budget series, shares the same basic functionalities as the S63X but apparently not very good at it (slower processor, lower SQ etc.)

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 16
Well I own the S639 and I think it is a winner, but different people will obviously require different things. I actually prefer the look of the A820 more but it is also thicker and bigger overall. Regardless there are plenty of alternatives out there for everyone:

S639 - great player and great value, but the accessories market (or lack of) may put off some people. Even Sony isn't capable of supplying the market with good accessories for it...

iPod Nano 4G - I won't comment about the SQ as I've only listened to it in the Apple store, but you wouldn't have a problem getting accessories for it. It is also lighter than the S639 and has plenty of colour options, if that is important to you...

Sansa Fuze - Great SQ with tons of features including FLAC and Ogg playback. Also has a microSDHC card slot for upgrading the capacity in the future (currently 16GB + whatever was on the Fuze)

Zune 16 - I've read good stuff about it, but personally I am not too impressed by it needing a proprietary Zune software installed on for it to sync. The UI actually look pretty slick plus it has WiFi for downloading music etc.

Samsung Q1 - I've never seen this being sold here but on paper it has the same functionalities as the Sony S63X with BBC iPlayer support. It seems to be a capable player.

Samsung YP-Q1 Diamond Review - MP3 Reviews - TrustedReviews

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 16
yeah same here -> like the design of sony a820
well accessoires? for an mp3 player I don't think I need it...
the sansa looks kinda weird and the display doesn't seem good.
The zune is like a copy of the ipod so i think i would have a better go with the ipod.

I seem to like the sony players and the ipod

Jan 31, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 16
The sanza clip is the best sounding portable I have ever heard short of the iMod. Playing ogg vorbis ripped cds it sounds like a $1000 desktop setup. I even use it to drive my speaker rig w/ the help of a Mister X Xp amp lol. Sound stage is pretty darn big for a mini mp3 player.

Jan 31, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by zulu1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah same here -> like the design of sony a820
well accessoires? for an mp3 player I don't think I need it...
the sansa looks kinda weird and the display doesn't seem good.
The zune is like a copy of the ipod so i think i would have a better go with the ipod.

I seem to like the sony players and the ipod

Zunes aren't copies of iPods. Since Apple is the most popular in the DAP market, Microsoft wants to compete with them, feeling that they make a better product. Therefore they use the same capacity and pricing. Besides that, the Zune is its own product. I don't see the similarities besides the need for proprietary software.

Jan 31, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by zulu1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only said zune is like a copy.
My friends got a zune and the wheel strongly reminds me of an ipod click and wheel thats why Ive written that.

The Sansa Fuze has more similarity with the iPod (the wheel, which actually turns physically unlike the iPod one, proprietary cord BS) but it's better sound quality wise.
$1000 desktop setup comparison = exaggerated imo (I use mostly Vorbis @ -q8 for the Fuze).
I'd go with a Sansa Fuze tbh.

Sansa Fuze + a screen protector = all good.

The Fuze and the Clip = uses the same chip thus same sound quality.

Sansa Fuze range:

sandisk_sansa_fuze_family.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #14 of 16
The Fuze/Clip is the best sounding DAP on the market today....

People have pair up the Clip with much more expensive portable amps and earphones.

Clip:

sandisk-sansa-clip.jpg

Fuze:

sandisk_sansa_fuze_family.gif

The Clip has a clip (thus the name) to clip onto your clothing/whatever while the Fuze has a better screen + in colour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back