searching for speakers + amp for 7,000$
Aug 28, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #16 of 30
have not heard the Homage's but I would not buy them without audition first. and audition them at home. if that's not possible then I'd look elsewhere.

the ones on Audiogon included the stands, so it seemed a good deal. but they're sold

it all comes down to what you like to hear, whether they're $500 or $5K irrespectively

Aug 28, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #17 of 30
ahhh this is way more complicated then headgear so much to check and so many variations of speakers, amps, cables, stands etc

this one is going to be a long journey 
confused_face.gif

but on the + side its fun to learn new stuff :)

Aug 28, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #18 of 30
OK so lets start from the beginning :)

what brand of shelf speakers exists? 
what are good brands of amps that can connect to a pc?
what cables considered good in a normal price? (20$-50$)
whats the difference between lamp amp and a normal on?

and lets get cracking in studying a whole new world of music and cinema world :)

and being broke again :p

p.s
ARENA Tannoy ? 

p.p.s 
even links to a guide to all the above will help :) 

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #19 of 30
10 x 10 is a pretty small space. I wouldn't recommend Klipsch horns or big panels, you're just going to overload the room, or compromise the speakers and get poor sound. I think you'll be best off with a two-way monitor. I'm unsure if Vapor Audio ships worldwide, but if they do, buy a Cirrus. If not, there are plenty of other good two-ways - Monitor Audio PL-100, Dynaudio Confidence C1, Usher Be-718, Volent VL-2, KEF 201/2, Merlin TSM, etc. I'm sure you can find one you like.

Connect your computer to an asynchronous USB DAC like the Ayre QB-9, and then use a nice integrated amplifier like a Primare, or Simaudio. You should also consider some type of room treatment, spaces that small and especially square spaces can be just a nightmare in terms of acoustics. Ceiling and wall diffusors and some bass traps can help your room sound larger than it is.

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #21 of 30
the problem is i wont be able to listen to them before i buy them... and i will have no way to find an amp that is good for them cus i will not be able to get the speakers from my house to a shop every time i want to compare one...

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #23 of 30
"[size=larger][size=larger][size=smaller]DNA's image with world class showmanship and create an immersibly deep sound-stage since they were designed to be placed AWAY from the corners."[/size][/size][/size]

[size=larger][size=larger][size=smaller]In other words, well out into the room. In a 10x10 space, that may not be possible. Also, you really should hear a FR speaker before you buy it. Their sound is shall we say "unique" and to me at least, unpleasant. [/size][/size][/size]

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #24 of 30
I will second the Vapor Audio suggestion.

I have a 10 x 10 room and these speakers before very well.  They perform very well in my larger family room too when I have a few people over.

I bought them without having heard them and though I had a few concerns I found that my concerns were unfounded once I had them.

Darcy 

Sep 2, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #26 of 30

Quote:
OK what do you think of this amp+receiver: vincent audio sv-226mkII

http://www.vincent-tac.de/en/product-types/integratedamplifiers/sv-226mkii.html

with those speakers: Focal 706

http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/500/index.html

(there is an update on the budget its down to 3,000$ due to some money issue :frowning2:)

I think I've seen some positive things about Vincent, but I don't have any first hand experience with their products. $500 spent on a Focal speaker is $500 wasted. You can do better.

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #28 of 30

Quote:
hmm so i will check that amp :)

so what brand of speakers do you recommend for a small room? 

Speakers worth checking out are the LSA .5, which is a baby version of the well regarded LSA-1, the Monitor Audio Silver RX1, the ERA D4 and D5 (now sold by Peachtree), and anything by Paradigm or PSB - usually tough to go wrong there.

Sep 11, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #30 of 30
With $3k, I'd look hard at DIY. You can have the drivers shipped much more reasonably than full cabinets.

Then find a cabinet shop to build the cabinets. Surely, someone nearby builds kitchens. The price won't be that bad, either. The cabinets I run were a little over $200. I assembled and finished them, but could have paid another $300-$400 for that.

For some great designs, look at Zaph|Audio, Linkwitz Lab and Troels Gravesen. They document their designs better than any commercial manufacturer I've seen. Further, the builder community has a wealth of resources. Models I'd look at would be the Zaph ZRT and Linkwitz Pluto. Parts, shipping and assembly will be in your price range. These should outperform anything bought new at retail prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back