Searching for Gym IEMs for <$50
May 5, 2011 at 6:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

GamBino

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I realize this may have come up fairly often, but I'm looking for a decent IEM for under $50 that I can take to the gym. Preferably that budget or lower because I don't really want to take anything more expensive to the gym, where I'll sweat all over it. Here's a few of my preferences:

- L-shaped plug
- Strong bass (I listen to mainly Rap/Hip-Hop in the gym)
- Virtually no microphonics (wearing over-the-ear)
- Works well with foam tips (I prefer foam tips over silicon)

Thanks!

May 5, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #2 of 34
You could check out the Soundmagic PL30s.  They're designed to be worn over-the-ear and have respectable bass.  They come with ear guides so would be unlikely to fall out and would work with foam tips.

May 5, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #4 of 34
Well, Soundmagic just announced a few new IEMs, including the E30, which looks basically like a slicker PL30 without the bass knob.

You could also check out the Brainwavz Alpha if you want something quite cheap and apparently quite good.

May 5, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 34
My kids have been using the PL30's at the Y for the last couple of years and they enjoy them.  Seem to have held up well.  I used the PL50's for indoor bike training in the winter while watching DVD's and I like them as well.

May 5, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #7 of 34

Quote:
My kids have been using the PL30's at the Y for the last couple of years and they enjoy them.  Seem to have held up well.  I used the PL50's for indoor bike training in the winter while watching DVD's and I like them as well.

what a very..  soundmagical family :p

you're bringing them up right!!

May 5, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #8 of 34
I have been using Meelectronics M6 for 8 Months.  Primarily when running (4-8 miles) and with foam tips that came with another pair of IEMs.  A few hours a week doing situps and pushups.  I have had no problems with microphonics, no problems from sweat, and have really enjoyed the sound signature.  For me, my only complaint is that they are slightly bass heavy, but the quality of bass is good to my ears.  Not as good as my SE215 or TF10, but better than my ATH-CK10 and UM1.  They also have an L-shaped plug, and the memory wire really helps them stay in place while working out.  They are also lighter than most other IEMs I own.  Good luck!

May 5, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #9 of 34
I know this is a post for IEMs but I recently bought the Koss Portapros for like $25 and they are amazing for the gym, lifetime guarantee and fairly good quality (has a lot of bass). Best headphones I have had for the gym. Only cons are they are kind of ugly and if you adjust the size while they are on your head they might pull a hair or 2.

May 5, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #10 of 34
Yeah, I think the 2 primary choices for me right now would be Meelectronics M6 or Soundmagic PL30. The only complain that I have with H2O Audio's earphones is that it might be slightly above my budget (I think) and I've heard that it's a bit lacking in the bass department (which I have a preference for). For me, the price of the M6 and PL30 are basically identical, which one would be preferable?

Thanks for all the input guys!

May 5, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #12 of 34
I use the M6 and like it's SQ but, not sure if it's right for gym or running outside. It blocks outside noise very well and I felt totally disconnected from the surrounding. It was a very uncomfortable feeling. Have been using Sony earphones from then on for gym and M6 during bedtime :)

May 5, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #13 of 34
The Meelectronics RX-11 seem to fit your requirements pretty well. Strong bass and they're plastic and light enough so you shouldn't feel them in your head while you're at the gym. They can be worn over the ear easily and are compatible with most tips like most of Meelec's lineup. And they can be had for around $25.

May 5, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #14 of 34
I mainly use my M6 when I work out. Cheap, durable, decent sound, you can't go wrong. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back