Searching for an AMP to drive RS1, tube vs solid state
Jul 14, 2008 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

madwill

Head-Fier
Hi

i've been reading around for a while and still cannot choose witch amp to pair with the RS1

Lots of people write about How the RA1 is overpriced and we can find better amp for the same price but i cant find those better amp, what i've tryed just dosent sound as good as RA1

Still, people also talk a lot about tubes paired with RS1 and that looks pretty interresting since tube rolling can renew the whole fun.

I've been tempted by thoses little dot mkIVse but cannot decide myself to go chinese just yet...

what would you guys go for if you had about 400$ to find the best deal availlable ?

Thx in advance.

Will

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 24
A lot of good things been said/wrote about EC/SS amp, so maybe you like it to ECSS

As I understand it was made with RS-1 in mind especially, so...
cool.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of good things been said/wrote about EC/SS amp, so maybe you like it to ECSS

As I understand it was made with RS-1 in mind especially, so...
cool.gif

Real Nice, and about the price i wanted to pay , i've never heard of it before

Anybody Know is there a big difference between
Little dot mk III and mkV

because there is some pretty cheap MKIII on sale on this forum, would be a quick fix but i'm scared i will feel the need to upgrade real soon if i settle for cheap...

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 24
I could also get the RA1 for less then the ECSS witch kind of discard the thing a little bit since i've heard RA1 and think it sounds really nice

its getting down to RA1 vs some random tubes amp out there

everybody seams to praise every amp there is, and every amp is a incredible breaktrough where you could spend Soo much more on higher-end product without getting as much...

btw sorry for my english i come from Quebec.

Still looking around, i'll find my answers.

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 24
RA-1 is a nice little unit, untill you have heard something else, you know. Its sounds pretty well, pairing with RS-1, but you answering your question, upgrade I mean. I never try it EC/SS myself, so can not say anything more than I already said, but from my expiriance you may need something better than RA-1 to be happy for a longer period of time. Just check FS forum time to time and you may see something in your budget, but within USD 400 is really hard to find anything else than RA-1 or EC/SS, I think.
Another canditate is SinglePower tube amp, but it is not in your budget, even used, so just wait for some other responses and maybe you can make a wish list by end of the day.
icon10.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 24
Another one is Musical Fidelity X3, which is pretty well known, but I have tried with RS-2 only and really like it.

So, you have already 2: SS and Tube one, not bad
cool.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 24
Then again, Little dot mk V seams to be getting lot of praise for a 300$ amp, dual amp RA1 dont offer this much

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #8 of 24
still the little dot seams to have a 1/8 output witch is kind of bogging me

why would they do that !

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by madwill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
still the little dot seams to have a 1/8 output witch is kind of bogging me

why would they do that !

I'm pretty sure it's a 1/4" headphone jack. My MKIII has a 1/4" hp jack and RCA outs, and I absoluely love it with my Grados.

Jul 14, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #10 of 24
Definitely look at tube amps for the RS-1. There's a wonderful synergy between them. I would keep an eye on the For Sale Forum and buy used. You would get a better amp than $400 will get you new.

I agree that every amp gets heaps of praise. A lot of people buy one, love it, and have no frame of reference. Look at the opinions of people who have owned many amps and those who build them. All amps are not created equal. No names, but there are some poorly designed amps on the market.

Jul 15, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #11 of 24
I'm basically after the same as the OP, an amp for the RS-1. However, my (sort of) temporary solution, the Meier Aria also comes with a DAC that I'm in love with. Seeing everyone keeps recommending tubes for the RS-1, I'd like to get into the tube game. I'll also need a DAC since the computer is my only source.

I do, however, do other things than just listen to music with my computer, gaming (using voicecoms) among other things. Somehow it'd kind of feel like a 'waste' to use a tube amp.. but am I just being silly? It's just in my head I'm sure.

Is the general consensus that a stand-alone DAC+amp would be a better choice than all-in-one package? I am a kind of neat freak, so I'd prefer them to be in the same package.. but it seems that DAC+tube isn't as established concept as DAC+SS. You could say I'm a basshead so I won't mind additional bass either..

Then of course there's the budget to consider. I'm more or less in the same price range as the OP, selling the Aria and then adding some.

Any thoughts?

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #12 of 24
Just an idea. Maybe you have to look at some portable solution guys, like GoVibe Petite or Magnum. If you just read some threads about them you will see that they do match pretty well with Grado's. However I do own Petite only at the moment, but I can tell you that he improves a lot from the beginning, driving GS1000 as well. Also there are some others up there, like Predator, Pico etc...
cool.gif

Here we go http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...ac-amp-343957/

Jul 15, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another canditate is SinglePower tube amp, but it is not in your budget, even used, so just wait for some other responses and maybe you can make a wish list by end of the day.
icon10.gif

Give them a month and you may see them sold for the OPs budget. SP is being given the VD power cable treatment.

Tubes. Absofunkenlutely.

Jul 15, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tubes. Absofunkenlutely.

i love the way you talk
wink.gif

i'll go for tube, i've checked out my stuff and i get more budjet for this amp

500 / 600 $ i'd like this thing to last quite a while until i go crazy and get something like zeus or balanced mod/amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Melus Sha-1 looks real nice , i have kind of an instant love for it

i could go for one, starting to look right now .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back