Searching for a VERY basic portable music player
Oct 20, 2020 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Gaven555

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, thanks for coming to this post!

Won't elaborate on why I need a product that meets these criteria but I'm sure you can guess why lol. I'm trying to find a music player that has no wifi/Bluetooth capability, no microphone or voice recording of any kind, and still manages some decent sound to drive my DT1770s that I use at work. Do you have any recommendations?

Also, I have become heavily dependent on music streaming services so I have almost no media of my own atm. Is there an affordable way where I can have unlimited access to downloadable music I can transfer to my MP3 player for when I take it to work? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Oct 20, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 9
Can't help you with converting steaming music, but for bare-bone music player that is decent, I'll suggest you take a look at Zishan line of product.

Oct 20, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 9
Hiby R2, Fiio M3Pro, Shanling M0. Look into those. M3pro is probably the most basic one without bt or wifi. None of these are going to drive your headphones to their full potential though. Look into dongle dacs or stand alone amps to use with your phone. Amps: HipDac, Fiio Q3. Dongle dacs with a balanced output ( more power to drive DTs ): E1DA 9038Sg3, Hilidac beam 2, Hidizs S9, Lotoo Paw S1.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 9
Oct 26, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 9
I think the Cowon Plenue D2 meets your needs, as you described them.
He’s using Beyer Dt1770s. I don’t think the little D2 will drive those 250 ohms.

With the OP’s exacting requirements, he is looking for a unicorn...

Oct 26, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #8 of 9
I'm trying to find a music player that has no wifi/Bluetooth capability, no microphone or voice recording of any kind, and still manages some decent sound to drive my DT1770s that I use at work.

All DAPs I can think of, even the basic ones, have at least Bluetooth capability, except for the Fiio M3 Pro; however, that has microphone and voice recording capability and will not drive full sized cans all that well. There's the Tempotec V1, which does have Bluetooth but no WiFi and voice recording, and is designed to be a digital transport (it has no DAC or AMP of its own, but nothing at the entry level of the market is going to drive your cans well).

I would recommend stacking the Tempotec V1 with a powerful DAC/amp like the Xduoo XD-05 or iFi Hipdac, which would allow you to have a basic player interface and sufficient power output at the same time. If you don't like Bluetooth, then just keep it switched off :)

I have become heavily dependent on music streaming services so I have almost no media of my own atm. Is there an affordable way where I can have unlimited access to downloadable music

Buy and rip CDs. I'm sure there's a ton of CDs kicking around at yard sales and thrift stores and the like.

Do you know of any that are not of Chinese origin? Something more American friendly?

Sony has the A55, but that has Bluetooth and doesn't have a chance in hell of driving your cans. Stacking with a DAC/amp is also more difficult due to the need to get a WMPort to USB adapter. But the UI is leaps above the Chinese players. The A105 has Android and USB-C, but you'll have to deal with it having WiFi and Bluetooth and it has the same power output as the A55. In terms of being a nice, user friendly bit of kit, however, the Sonys are very nice. You will pay much more for them than the Tempotec, however, and since your use case for them would be as a pure transport, it wouldn't be the best use of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back