Searching for a new inexpensive camcorder
Jun 20, 2006 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

seeberg

Headphoneus Supremus
It's not for me necessarily, but I would be using it from time to time. The primary purpose is to replace a buddie's aging and busted JVC camcorder, which he plans to get fixed up for a backup recorder in the meantime. He uses it for skateboarding footage, which I help out with when I can, besides adding in still shots with my D50. We've discussed using fisheye add-ons and such, and I think if he gets another camcorder, this will allow us to get great footage in new ways.

I'm looking for something that does Mini-DV, has firewire, image stabilization, shoots in 16:9 format (not required, though I'd like it), built in light, and takes accessories like fisheye and wide angle thread on lenses. Anything near or under $300 is preferred. As of the start of my search, the Canon ZR-500 is the least expensive, though it has no add-ons and no built in light(the 600 is a little better with still image capability, though it too has no built in light). A couple Panasonics seem quite nice for the price as well, though they lack a Firewire output(PV-GS29 and PV-GS59). Note that I've never shopped for a camcorder before, so bare with me.

Any advice? I could use some before throwing down three c-notes on another electronic gadget
smily_headphones1.gif

600smile.gif
Abe

edit: Mods, please move this to the Members Lounge. I didn't know it got thrown in the Music forum, LOL.

Jun 20, 2006 at 11:24 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

600smile.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back