Searching for a good amp and dac for my new AKG K702s
Dec 28, 2011 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Systematic

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm a newb here so please bear with me.

I recently purchased the AKG K702 and I'm pleased with it. I want more out of it and read that a dac/amp would make the sound quality even better.

So I looked around and saw the Fiio E7/E9 combo because it was within my budget ($200-$250)

But then I read around the forums that Fiio E17 is coming out early 2012 and I plan on waiting out until then.

My two questions are:

1. Should I just get the E9 for now?
2. Can I use the E9 by itself or does it have to be bundled with a dac like the E7/E17?
3. Are there any alternatives or better solution to the Fiios within my budget of $200-$250?

Thank you in advance -- I appreciate any help.

Dec 28, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #3 of 5
Your 702s will sound worlds better amped! For the price the E9 does a nice job with them . 
You could use the E9 by itself, by simply plugging it into your laptops headphone output, however, it should sound better with a dedicated dac.

I like the 702s with the matrix m-stage, which can be found on the fs forums for about $200, but that would not leave much in your budget for a dac....

I have also heard good things about the hifiman ef-2 dac / amp combo, but I have never heard it personally ....

Good luck!

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #4 of 5
Thank you so much for the help guys, really appreciate it.

I heard a lot of good things about the matrix m-stage as well, but I just can't afford it at this point.

I'm thinking of going with the E9 right now and waiting it out for the E17 dac to come out.

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #5 of 5
I have a question about the Fiio E17. I'm currently debating on getting the E9 and holding off on the E7 to wait for the E17.

Would the E9 and the E17 be the best combo for dac/amp or is there another chain in the Fiios products that would be a better combo?

I'm waiting patiently and debating whether to make the purchase for the E9 right now.

also, do I need to buy additional cables and such?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back