Searching for a good $200 amp for the HIFIMan HE-500
Jun 17, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #31 of 43
Quote:
Im not looking to blast my HE-500's to an absurd level i usually listen to them at lower levels when I'm listening for a longer period of time. But i want to send more power to them to gain a wider soundstage then I'm getting on the E11. And from what i was able to audition once through a high powered system. I can achieve a much greater soundstage and a completely different presentation. I wanna say thanks for the help so far I'm really gonna look into the a-100 amp.   

I'm in the process of documenting the build for a set of speaker taps in Visio.  I should be done with my diagram today and be able to post it in PDF format.  It will include the Neutrik connector part numbers as well as the correct pin to wire orientations.  All of this information is out there and exists, but I don't feel that it has been consolidated into one document, which I feel is essential.

Jun 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #32 of 43
What if i were to increase my limit to $300 and get like a 5.1 digital receiver and run them through that would it be more practical and could i achieve somewhat similar performance then just an amp?

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #33 of 43
Quote:
What if i were to increase my limit to $300 and get like a 5.1 digital receiver and run them through that would it be more practical and could i achieve somewhat similar performance then just an amp?

In all honesty, I think you're better off looking for a used 2-channel receiver to use instead.  The 5.1 digital receiver will have all the extra features in it (video processing, shared amplification, etc.), which all can mess with the overall sound quality.  When I purchased my Yamaha RX-797, I only paid $110 for it - in the box and like brand new.  I tried for years to get great music performance for a 2.1 setup from many home theater receivers, and was successful each time ... and, about $100 poorer after the sale of each one that didn't live up to my expectations.  Though, I do admit, the beefy 68 Lb. Harman / Kardon AVR-7200 was probably the closest to love I could get.  However, with the Yamaha A-S500 and a subwoofer pre-out, my speaker / sub system really shines.  The headphone stage isn't too bad, but I'm not running the taps on that system because I'm using both channels to bi-amp my Monitor Audio speakers.

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #34 of 43
Just picked up the he-500, but didn't do my research as well as I thought. Everything say these are great headphones, but I didn't read the small print, meaning the power to push them. So looking for an headphone amp to push these that I can use with my computer and receiver. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #35 of 43
Just need big bang for the buck Amp for my hps

Make Model number Ohm ratings DAC AMP Suggested Amp
Denon D2000 25 ohm E17 EO9K keep or replace?
AKG Q701 62 ohm E17 EO9K  
Senn HD650 300 ohm E17 EO9K  
Grado SR325is 32 ohm E17 EO9K  

This is correct setup, nothing too fancy and based on portables. My questions is that if I really need the E09K and just get a line out from the E17 into another dedicated amp - an amp that is rated to work well with the can I have.My be removing some from this rig since the D2000 and AKG might be dedicated movie cans for a different room/application. But which amp/amps shoudl I start reading about for starters?

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #38 of 43
Hm, from all the June comments it seems a lot of people are misconstrued about why powerful amps are often recommended for planars like Hifimans'.

It is not about the volume they could bring (any half-arsed headphone amp could drive a HE500 louder than your ears could tolerate), but rather the assumption is that with higher power, much more control is being brought to the planar magnetic diaphragms, so you get better transients which translates to more dynamic range, higher resolution, and tighter deeper bass.

Now this does not apply to voice-coil dynamic drivers, those handle power much more poorly than planar magnetic drivers because they (traditional dynamic) are much more efficient and could easily get blown with any "excess" power, while planar mags could handle them with ease due to their inefficiency.

That is my understanding anyway, ortho experts could correct me if I'm wrong.

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #39 of 43
For what its worth, the Lake People G103 seems like a good choice in that price range because its pretty powerful which is good for orthos. I have the G109 and love it. See here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620082/lake-people-g109-g103-thread

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #41 of 43
Quote:
Has anyone listened to the E07K and E09K with the HE - 500's? 

If you do that go with the E17 instead which will end up being less and sound better.
If you can go the O2 it is better IMO.

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #42 of 43
Fiio Stack does well with the HE-400, i couldn't get past 40%. 

It should work with the HE-500 as well (900 mW/32 ohms load)

Apr 29, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #43 of 43
Have just bought some HE-500 and they run well from my O2 through ODAC without problem.
Gain setting is on 2.5x, with PC volume and JRiver media Centrevolume both at 100%.
The amps volume control is at 1 O'Clock for loud listening, at 3 it is too loud for me.

My other phones DT770 250ohms need more volume to get to the same level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back