searching for 20GB MP3 player
Oct 15, 2004 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

bpm3k

New Head-Fier
I am looking for something with a minimum of 20 GB. I am very price conscious. I would like long battery life and of course good sound quality. I am thinking of getting the Creative Labs Zen Touch 20 GB MP3 Player. I found it on Amazon for $238 with free shipping and no sales tax (I live in California). Then I can also see the Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra 30 GB MP3 Player for only $226 at the same place. In the latest Consumer Reports there was a review placing the Zen Touch over the IPOD based on battery length and sound quality.

I have a MINT amp and Sennheiser HD555 and Sennheiser HD280 Pro. I will most often take the player to the library and to Starbucks or somewhere similar to study (I attend UCSB).

Oct 15, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 29
I would look at the Dell DJ. It is a well built unit with great sound qualities and excellent battery life. The contols are much better than the Zen Xtra.

One drawback is that it does not mount as an external hard drive.

There is a 2nd generation version coming very soon. Rumors are that it is slightly smaller, but the battery life will decrease.

Oct 15, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by PouncePony
I would look at the Dell DJ. It is a well built unit with great sound qualities and excellent battery life. The contols are much better than the Zen Xtra.

One drawback is that it does not mount as an external hard drive.

There is a 2nd generation version coming very soon. Rumors are that it is slightly smaller, but the battery life will decrease.

How do these compare to the zen TOUCH? The touch has that special finger slide thingy like the ipod (but not a donut).

Oct 15, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 29
I received my Zen Touch a few days ago and am very happy with it so far. It's a pretty small, sleek looking device, sound quality is good. Can't yet say anything definite about battery life since I'm still on my first charge, but I guess you won't achieve the advertised 24 hours with higher bitrate MP3's (I use mainly 192 kbit/s). 20 hours could be realistic though. The touchpad takes a while to get used to, but then it's an attractive method for controlling the player.

I don't use the included MediaSource software (haven't even installed it, I didn't like the predecessor PlayCenter too much either). Instead, I use Exact Audio Copy with LAME for ripping (I know of no better way, quality wise, to rip CDs) and copy the files over with the Nomad Explorer which is included on the Zen CD. Notmad Explorer, a third party program, is also an attractive option, but I'm not prepared to shell out $25 for lots of options I'll probably never use.

Oh yeah, the earbuds that come with it suck, but I guess I don't have to tell you that
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm using mainly Senn MX500 and PX200 with it right now and am thinking of upgrading to ER6i and/or an amp.

So, a hearty recommendation from me. At the price point, it can hardly be beat, if you ask me. The Zen Xtra is a bit larger and heavier, though if you don't mind that it might be a good choice as well. Any more questions?

Oct 16, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 29
I have a Dell DJ 20gb. I like it. The scroll barrel works well for clumsy fat fingered guys like me. My complaint is no line out. The Dell software is easily messed up by other programs on my computer (real player) and I've had issues there. Overall, it's been a positive experience owning this so far.

Oct 16, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #10 of 29
The Zen touch and Dell DJ are extremely similiar. They are both built by the same company, and pretty share the same components. I would go for the Dell Dj as it is much cheaper, and its not bad at all it terms of SQ. I also think it looks better.

Oct 16, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #11 of 29
I'd recommend the rio karma.

Oct 17, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna
The Zen touch and Dell DJ are extremely similiar. They are both built by the same company, and pretty share the same components. I would go for the Dell Dj as it is much cheaper, and its not bad at all it terms of SQ. I also think it looks better.

I don't see it being cheaper. At least comparing the price at dell.com to touch at amazon. THey are they same.

Oct 17, 2004 at 6:48 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpm3k
I don't see it being cheaper. At least comparing the price at dell.com to touch at amazon. THey are they same.

But dell frequently have many coupons out (like 15% etc), check one of those deal site (fatwallet, slickdeal, etc). There was a very good deal on the 15gb one couple days ago, they were as low as $129, I am still pissed that I missed out on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back