SE535 to JH16...thoughts and inputs needed
Apr 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #31 of 121
I had Se535's and Se530's before I got my JH16's.
All I can say is that they felt like a major step up in quality of sound.
I don't think the 535's or 530's come anywhere close to the JH's.
I would highly recommend them as you will go into a completely new realm of sound.

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #32 of 121
IF you're trying to decide between JH16's and JH13's you need to read this.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/485170/review-clash-of-the-titans-3d-jh16-pro-vs-jh13-pro

I probably read that a couple hundred times trying to decide.  I had the UM3x's which was of the top tier universals at the time but I always wondered.... "how much better can top tier customs sound".  I decided to go all out and have the end it all, never worry about what else is there, perfectly happy iems.  This is where the JH16 and JH13 came into play.  Then there wasn't 1964 ears or, cosmic or frog ears or whatever else CIEM shop there is now.  It was either JH, UE, UM or Westone.  

Afters months, and I mean months of research and debating and flip flopping, I went with the JH13's.  Fast forward years later; have never wondered what else is out there.  The 13's seemed to fit my preference of music and style more.  Sure I've bought other universal iems, but thats for fun.  I always new there would never be an "upgrade" to my jh13's.  Never wondered about UM miracles, or heir 8a's or what other flagship iems there is from another company.  One day I might "sidegrade" to jh16's or miracles or 8a's just to try them out....and definitely not to fill a void.

For most people, who bought JH13's or JH16's, they didn't think there was something better, just simply a different flavor, a different viewpoint, a different approach.  You can't go wrong with jh13's, jh16's.... or even other flagship ciems.  

From what I researched and what I know from my jh13's.  The JH13's are more analytical, more precise, more instruction set (if that makes sense)... while the JH16's appeal to your raw, let loose, animalistic side.  Now that doesnt mean JH13's aren't fun, and that you cant simply enjoy music because it can.... and that doesnt mean the jh16's aren't refined, technically sound or detail oriented.... they just have a better propensity to fill that.... "aarrrghhhhh!" side of yourself.  

whatever you choose, im pretty sure you won't wonder whats on the other side of the fence... because for me, with my jh13's, the grass is greener on my side.

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #33 of 121
Since we are talking about different drivers now here are two great threads that I came across with lots of great infos. I have yet to finish them but barely couple of pages into them and I have already learned a lot. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/617650/why-dynamic-drivers-have-better-bass-than-ba-drivers

http://www.head-fi.org/t/567151/ba-vs-dynamic-drivers-a-discussion/105

As far as the JH audio goes I get a small discount with them but it looks like is good to wait for them to run a sale. They have had 10%, 15%, and 20% off sales before and for a pair of headphones that cost over a grand I would say for anybody that wants to purchase them it is worth the wait. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #34 of 121
For most people, who bought JH13's or JH16's, they didn't think there was something better, just simply a different flavor, a different viewpoint, a different approach.  You can't go wrong with jh13's, jh16's.... or even other flagship ciems.  

Agree at this price point it's all about your taste. Some prefere the wide Soundstage of the UERM others call it distant. Some love the nass of the jh16 others view it as bloated...

You have to listen to them yourself.

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #35 of 121
Quote:
Agree at this price point it's all about your taste. Some prefere the wide Soundstage of the UERM others call it distant. Some love the nass of the jh16 others view it as bloated...

You have to listen to them yourself.

Where and how? That is what I want to do but I don't know where can one go to listen to heaphones that expensive. 

Is it during the meet up that you guys get to try them out? Because there is one in June that is going down in Dallas. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #36 of 121
If you wanna know why the vocals on JH13/16 is not engaging, simply compare them with the 1+2, I think everybody who owns both 1+2 and JH would notice the vocal on 1+2 is so much more defined and detailed.

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #37 of 121
To the OP, Hook 'em!

Ok dude. I see you doing exactly what I did. Only I owned the W4. I went custom. Biggest mistake, and the most costly mistake of my audio journey. I'm relatively glad I have them, but I never use them. 

BA drivers don't cut it for great bass. Some get really close. But if you listen to those genres which need beefy, live-air feel bass, BA's don't cut it. BA bass can be so taut and tight, you can bounce a quarter of it, but it won't bump. 

Now, Multi-BA IEMS... well, let's just say there is a major group of growing people that think the multiple drivers smear the sonic landscape, and imaging, and create a congested soundstage. You're talking about a lot of equipment, crossovers, etc... built into each earphone. It's congested in there. So is the sound. 

Now, customs themselves. Hopefully, you go to an audiologist, and they get your impression right. And weeks later, you get your custom from here in the US, or overseas. If it doesn't fit right, it is a nightmare. More impressions, more waiting. And the resale value on a custom if you don't end up liking them? Yeah not good. They might even fit you right until you eventually grow out of them as you grow. 

It's my opinion you should be looking at top-end universals, which many think are better than the best customs. Maybe even more comfortable than having huge chunks of acrylic shoved up in your ear. 

FitEar To Go! 334
Tralucent 1 + 2
Aurisonics AGS-2 (to be announced this week hopefully)
Ocharaku Flat-4

Any of these will offer great versatility, not to mention great, world-class sound. 

You can order them, get them fast, sell them (or even return them!), and many people think you will get better sound, better imaging, and a better soundstage than you will with JHx. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #38 of 121
Quote:

Where and how? That is what I want to do but I don't know where can one go to listen to heaphones that expensive. 

Is it during the meet up that you guys get to try them out? Because there is one in June that is going down in Dallas. 

I think JH Audio have universal demo models you can try, maybe one of these dealers have them and is close enough to you:

http://www.jhaudio.com/products/jhaudio-iem-authorized-dealers

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #39 of 121
Quote:
If you wanna know why the vocals on JH13/16 is not engaging, simply compare them with the 1+2, I think everybody who owns both 1+2 and JH would notice the vocal on 1+2 is so much more defined and detailed.

+1. 

And you CAN potentially hear for yourself going universal 1 + 2. Buy them and return/sell them. That's a no-go with JH. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #41 of 121
Quote:
this thread is a bit like someone describing a meal they read about someone else eating based on the iem inventory of most of the respondents. 

that is partly true. i have not owned a high end dynamic or hybrid iems, but i've owned couple BA iems. But the thing is that I was able to demo dynamic and hybrid iems at iem stores.

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #42 of 121
Quote:

Sorry for my ignorance and lack of knowledge but what does 1+2 mean? 
Quote:
To the OP, Hook 'em!

Ok dude. I see you doing exactly what I did. Only I owned the W4. I went custom. Biggest mistake, and the most costly mistake of my audio journey. I'm relatively glad I have them, but I never use them. 

BA drivers don't cut it for great bass. Some get really close. But if you listen to those genres which need beefy, live-air feel bass, BA's don't cut it. BA bass can be so taut and tight, you can bounce a quarter of it, but it won't bump. 

Now, Multi-BA IEMS... well, let's just say there is a major group of growing people that think the multiple drivers smear the sonic landscape, and imaging, and create a congested soundstage. You're talking about a lot of equipment, crossovers, etc... built into each earphone. It's congested in there. So is the sound. 

Now, customs themselves. Hopefully, you go to an audiologist, and they get your impression right. And weeks later, you get your custom from here in the US, or overseas. If it doesn't fit right, it is a nightmare. More impressions, more waiting. And the resale value on a custom if you don't end up liking them? Yeah not good. They might even fit you right until you eventually grow out of them as you grow. 

It's my opinion you should be looking at top-end universals, which many think are better than the best customs. Maybe even more comfortable than having huge chunks of acrylic shoved up in your ear. 

FitEar To Go! 334
Tralucent 1 + 2
Ocharaku Flat-4

Any of these will offer great versatility, not to mention great, world-class sound. 

You can order them, get them fast, sell them (or even return them!), and many people think you will get better sound, better imaging, and a better soundstage than you will with JHx. 

Yeah Buddy! But I must say that one of my math classes is hook'en my ass up. Don't have a damn life anymore. 

So here is what I was thinking about the price range. I build computers and I have barely used the recent one that I built last year, laptops goes out after 3-4 years, tablet was a waste of money, the nook was joke (both it and the tablet became one huge batman comic book reader for me :/). I started bodybuilding and purchased supplements couple of times and said screw this and now I get all of them for free, hook up my nutritionist with whatever he wants so I don't have to pay him 2k a year, got no college debt, don't party or go out, and my gym membership is free because 98% of the gym employees like me so they hooked me up with a free gym membership. The only thing that has lasted me forever is my 530s and the 535 which shure upgraded me to them. But now I have to give up working out for next 6 months and just study all day so I was thinking of selling all the free stuff I get with my 535 and upgrade my headphones. Everybody around me thinks its a bad idea but then again the think $40 headphones is really expensive. 

Here is the kick, since I have sent my calbes back to get fixed for the second time my grades have dropped about 30%. I'm dyslexic and I listen to white noise (like air plane noise) and study for about 8 hours and not there is the gym, shuttle rides, and all other times that I wear them. So I use them ALL the time. 

Just re-read your comment and I had misunderstood it so all I typed above is useless but too lazy to delete it. 

I will have to check the universal ones then but the shure's hurt my ears after a while and that is the reason why I was thinking customs. Plus having to hold them down for 10 seconds every time some one interrupts me gets old really fast. 

BTW I checked out your site and WOW! Hope to meet you one day and have a chat. Could potentially learn a lot. Give me a shout if you need anything for working out :wink: lol

Quote:

I think JH Audio have universal demo models you can try, maybe one of these dealers have them and is close enough to you:

http://www.jhaudio.com/products/jhaudio-iem-authorized-dealers

Waco. I guess I could stop there next time on my way to Dallas but seriously there is one in Waco and not in Dallas or Austin. How is this possible? 

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #43 of 121
Quote:
Sorry for my ignorance and lack of knowledge but what does 1+2 mean? 

1+2

I will have to check the universal ones then but the shure's hurt my ears after a while and that is the reason why I was thinking customs. Plus having to hold them down for 10 seconds every time some one interrupts me gets old really fast. 

Well, for what it's worth, customs are much more time-consuming and difficult to get in and out of your ears than universals. And I wouldn't say I can wear customs for longer than my high-end universals. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #44 of 121
Quote:
Here is the thing, I listen to hiphop, rap, dubstep, and metal, but a lot of times I am listening to mellow music like jack johnson or disney sound tracks (great for cardio lol). To find something that would work for all these is I think almost impossible. Oh not to mention lots of TED talks. 

Quote:
I've got 13s and16s and I have owned multiple shure iems as well as demoed the merlins and most of the UE and westone range and nothing is as good as the JH 13s or 16s. The UE ref series is very good but lacks the bass you seek. 

Quote:
Afters months, and I mean months of research and debating and flip flopping, I went with the JH13's.  Fast forward years later; have never wondered what else is out there.  The 13's seemed to fit my preference of music and style more.  Sure I've bought other universal iems, but thats for fun.  I always new there would never be an "upgrade" to my jh13's.  Never wondered about UM miracles, or heir 8a's or what other flagship iems there is from another company.  One day I might "sidegrade" to jh16's or miracles or 8a's just to try them out....and definitely not to fill a void.

I bought the JH13s in late 2009 and the JH16s in early 2010. I sold the JH16s afterwards.

I have not come across a genre or musical/sound application where the JH13 does not perform well. It has a blend of genre compatibility and technical proficiency that is very, very difficult to find.

Even among many top suspects (e.g. HD 800, T1, LCD-2 class), I find the JH13 to be the one with the fewest tradeoffs and broadest excellence.

That said, 3 years ago there weren't these newfangled universals...

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #45 of 121
Quote:
To the OP, Hook 'em!

FitEar To Go! 334
Tralucent 1 + 2
Ocharaku Flat-4

First of all.... BOOMER!  SOONER!

While there are people that think universals are better than customs, there is more than likely more people who think customs are better and at minimum its 50-50.  "Great bass" is subjective,  my JH13's does great bass....you probably wouldnt think so but I do.  See how that works?  

Yeah there are people who simply can't get a good fit with customs, it happens.  There's a lot more people who do get a perfect though.  I got two customs made, both perfect on the first try.  There people who can't get universals to fit right.... triple.fi 10's were notorious with that.  MTPC's need a shallow fit to sound their best and fell out a lot due to them needing a shallow insertion.  My attending Doc couldnt get a good fit with customs.... he went with universals and he's happy.  He paid 1k plus for his senn ie800's....now he can't even get a nibble for resale at a price of 850.  

Yeah, you can sell universals relatively fast.  The resale value on are good too, but don't forget.... universals always have "upgrades".  The Final Audio Design Piano Forte's IX's are currently around 1k, FAD PF X's are 2k.  What do you think the resale value will be when the XI's come out? or the XII?  Yeah customs take a hit on resale value, but used jh16's went for 600 2-3  years ago.... and they still sell for 600 today.
Yeah it might take a little effort to get a good fit, but once you have a good fit....its guaranteed every time.  

Monster Turbine Gold's were considered the best dynamic at one point, until the Monster Turbine Coppers came out...since then, A LOT of dynamic iems have come.  GR06, GR07, GR07 Bass edition.... the end will not come.  Sennheiser IE80's were considered a top tier universal 2-3 years ago....now its barely a blip on the radar. My JH13's still sitting pretty with a very select group.  Sure others have joined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back