SE535 to JH16...thoughts and inputs needed
Apr 15, 2013 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 121

Squats

New Head-Fier
Okay so I lurk around here a lot and for a while I have wanted a custom in ear monitor. I know I could pay a $100-$150 and get them made from my 535 but then I always come across people talking about the JH16 and how wonderfully amazing it is with its super heavy bass.

So here is my question that I truly did not get any answers for via search. How big of a difference is between the SE535 and JH16? Can you give a percentage on the difference? Anything that could make one more understanding through web?

The reason I own the 535 is because I got a really good deal on them brand new. Before that I had the same deal for the 530 and I sold them for the price I purchase them at. I also had a chance on purchase and re-selling headphones for the same price on the 200 series shure, 300 series, and the beats headphones (all over the ear models but from the lower model to the $400 ones...needless to say they weren't ****). 

So those are the only good headphones I have actually owned and listened to extensively. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 121
The JH16 has better bass while the JH13 is a better all rounder. I got the JH16 for the bass while someone preferring a flatter response would go for the JH13.

Definitely an upgrade from the Shure.Cant go wrong with either.

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 121
Quote:
The JH16 has better bass while the JH13 is a better all rounder. I got the JH16 for the bass while someone preferring a flatter response would go for the JH13.

Definitely an upgrade from the Shure.Cant go wrong with either.

So what I'm wondering is how big of a difference in the bass and overall is it? Is like going from beat to shure difference is it going for 200 series shure to the 500? Or in car speakers would it be like 12" DD subs to 18"? 

I am having trouble telling how big of a difference it would be. The one thing about shure is if they come out without with another one in 2 years I can somewhat upgrade without much issues but that does not go for the JH headphones. 

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 121
I would not consider JH16 bass heavy at all. At least not at the level of any dynamic driver based IEM, such as the sennheiser ie8/80/800. You lose the great vocal on 535 but gain pretty much everything else. So basically if you are really into vocal stuff you would find it disappointing but otherwise it is nice upgrade.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 121
Quote:
I would not consider JH16 bass heavy at all. At least not at the level of any dynamic driver based IEM, such as the sennheiser ie8/80/800. You lose the great vocal on 535 but gain pretty much everything else. So basically if you are really into vocal stuff you would find it disappointing but otherwise it is nice upgrade.

Yeah I was looking for in ears only because I am going to be working out in them (which I hope that would be okay) and I really like the noise isolation with the in ears. Great for studying, watching movies, or anything else in general. 

I listen to everything...yeah everything. So that's is an interesting thing to take into consider. Don't a lot of artists wear the JH16 during their concerts? I am asking because if they lose a lot of vocal then that wouldn't be the greatest thing... or they probably wear the JH13? 

Is there anything else you guys would recommend me looking into for a custom IEM or is JH16 the God of them all? 

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 121
Quote:
Yeah I was looking for in ears only because I am going to be working out in them (which I hope that would be okay) and I really like the noise isolation with the in ears. Great for studying, watching movies, or anything else in general. 

I listen to everything...yeah everything. So that's is an interesting thing to take into consider. Don't a lot of artists wear the JH16 during their concerts? I am asking because if they lose a lot of vocal then that wouldn't be the greatest thing... or they probably wear the JH13? 

Is there anything else you guys would recommend me looking into for a custom IEM or is JH16 the God of them all? 

Both JH13 and JH16 has a vocal presentation that is more laid-back, the imaging, or rather the details of the vocal is not all that great compare to instruments, 1+2 or togo334 definitely has better vocal than these. It is rather thin I would say. JH16 is definitely not the god of them all from my experience. 

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 121
As the previous poster said, the JH16 like most armature based IEMs doesn't have the bass of a dynamic driver.

However it still does a good job with 4 bass drivers and paired with a Headstage 4G, does a good job of it.

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #8 of 121
Quote:
Both JH13 and JH16 has a vocal presentation that is more laid-back, the imaging, or rather the details of the vocal is not all that great compare to instruments, 1+2 or togo334 definitely has better vocal than these. It is rather thin I would say. JH16 is definitely not the god of them all from my experience. 

So what custom in ear would you say is the best? Idk if I should make a new thread for that question or not.

For me it would go 

clarity
quality of sound
the deepness and punch of the bass
range of bass
the mid and highs 

I need to study on my headphones terminology. You have owned a lot of headphones as you have posted in your signature but a lot of the threads I read people mention that they have "tried" this and that headphones. I have no idea where would one go to try these expensive headphones not to mention the custom in ear ones...i don't even know how you could try a custom in ear. 

I live in Austin and I did a search on here and google and people said that most of the store just sell home audio and not headphones. 

By the way thanks for all your help and inputs bud.

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 121
The JH16Pro has much better imaging, instruments separation, wider soundtage, very detailed mids, extended highs and deeper punchier bass than SE535 and overall it's better upgrade. Westone ES5 are also midforward with richer more detailed mids, extended highs and deeper bass than SE535 and it is also great upgrade over SE535.

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #10 of 121
Quote:
The JH16Pro has much better imaging, instruments separation, wider soundtage, very detailed mids, extended highs and deeper punchier bass than SE535 and overall it's better upgrade. Westone ES5 are also midforward with richer more detailed mids, extended highs and deeper bass than SE535 and it is also great upgrade over SE535.

I think if you would want to keep the mid and just add better bass and treble as well as clarity and detail, you should go with ES5. But if you are all about really good bass, I would look into hybrid iems like UM Merlin and more.

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #11 of 121
I would not recommend the westone ES5. It has narrower sound-stage than JH13/16 and the highs don't extend that high which is sometimes very annoying. I sold my ES5 eventually and togo 334 is better than the ES5 overall imo, better mids, better highs and bass and depth. Only thing ES5 might have an upper hand is that it is less fatiguing. 

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #12 of 121
From reading around it seems like one of the main words associated with the JH16 is bass and almost everything out there is compared to them. 

I looked up the other headphones you guys recommended and they have 1 low, 2 for mid, and 2 highs so I could see why JH16 hits higher since they are the other way around (if I am not mistaking). 

I came across something that I had forgotten for a long time and the is the Heir 8A and their specs look insane and I have to read on them more.

Here is the thing, I listen to hiphop, rap, dubstep, and metal, but a lot of times I am listening to mellow music like jack johnson or disney sound tracks (great for cardio lol). To find something that would work for all these is I think almost impossible. Oh not to mention lots of TED talks. 

So looking into my surround sounds I see that I have def tech speakers and I like them way better than my dad's klipsch speakers. We have both companies high end series. So I really really like my bass from the looks of it. clarity and crispness is another  one of my pickiness. 

It's insane how we these things cost so much but I can't go anywhere to try them out. That is one thing that I DO NOT like about the headphone world. 

By the way I really appreciate every bodies inputs and helps, seriously, thank you! 

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #13 of 121
Quote:
From reading around it seems like one of the main words associated with the JH16 is bass and almost everything out there is compared to them. 

I looked up the other headphones you guys recommended and they have 1 low, 2 for mid, and 2 highs so I could see why JH16 hits higher since they are the other way around (if I am not mistaking). 

I came across something that I had forgotten for a long time and the is the Heir 8A and their specs look insane and I have to read on them more.

Here is the thing, I listen to hiphop, rap, dubstep, and metal, but a lot of times I am listening to mellow music like jack johnson or disney sound tracks (great for cardio lol). To find something that would work for all these is I think almost impossible. Oh not to mention lots of TED talks. 

So looking into my surround sounds I see that I have def tech speakers and I like them way better than my dad's klipsch speakers. We have both companies high end series. So I really really like my bass from the looks of it. clarity and crispness is another  one of my pickiness. 

It's insane how we these things cost so much but I can't go anywhere to try them out. That is one thing that I DO NOT like about the headphone world. 

By the way I really appreciate every bodies inputs and helps, seriously, thank you! 

Do note that number of driver does not equal sound quality. UE IERM has 3 drivers, but it easily out performs multi(4 and up) driver customs in many ways. But if you want bass and clarity, I don't think that balance armatures can produce bass like dynamic drivers. Look at new 3DD from UM, Merlin from UM, Translucent audio hybrids, and more dynamic/hybrid driver iems.

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #14 of 121
Quote:
Do note that number of driver does not equal sound quality. UE IERM has 3 drivers, but it easily out performs multi(4 and up) driver customs in many ways. But if you want bass and clarity, I don't think that balance armatures can produce bass like dynamic drivers. Look at new 3DD from UM, Merlin from UM, Translucent audio hybrids, and more dynamic/hybrid driver iems.

Oh okay that makes sense, thanks!

It seems like I need to study the different types of drivers and what each one can deliver. 

I found a thread about drivers with pictures here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/202122/the-headphone-driver-pics-thread

If they are any other threads that I miss please let me know.

I want to make this thread useful for people in future that come across it via search and not just another this vs. that thread that ends in nothing. 

Edit: Here is another thread explaining specs http://www.head-fi.org/t/131426/specs-explained

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 121
Don't ignore the Jvc FXZ200 either. It punches way above it's weight and has a dedicated bass driver. Might be just what you need.
As mentioned above, more doesn't mean better but I regard the JH16 highly when it comes to armatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back