SE535 for rock/metal?
Nov 1, 2011 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

zeitfliesst

100+ Head-Fier
I haven't seen any threads with this topic so here it is. I mostly listen to metal (black, death, progressive, you name it), and so far I've tried the scl5 (broken after 3yrs), um3x (DOA), sm3(broke within less than a week). The scl5 I think was perfect for the music I listen to, as I could really feel the guitars blazing and the drums smashing. I won't be purchasing either um3x or sm3 again because of their poor build quality (at least from my experience), but I felt that both sounded quite veiled compared to the scl5, and the sm3 especially tended to make the drums sound really drowned out. SE535 really seems to be my final destination here since I can attest to Shure's build quality. I want to know if SE535 will be a good performer in metal, or atleast not "suck" with it.

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #2 of 16
I don't know about the SE535's. I didn't quite like it for metal, however, I like a little more bass to my kick pedal. It seems (concerning your resume of IEMs) that you like slightly mid range concentration, which is where the 535's are pretty decent in. To be honest with you, I feel like certain high hats are lost, bass kick is there (but barely), guitars shine bright (especially during hard chord riffs), and bass is somewhat barely noticeable. Guitars and vocals are the best with the 535s. They are very prominent. Just a personal opinion. For metal, I tend to pick up my bass bias IEMs (Such as my Dynamics: MTPG/C or BA: TF10s or TF10x8 reshells.) My SE535s stays in storage until I want to listen to a little Bach, Beethoven, Mahler, or Tchaikovsky.

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 16
Thanks for your input. While I do like the mids to be somewhat concentrated, I'm mostly looking for an aggressive, tight, and fast sonic signature. Also, when I listen to the drums I mainly focus on how snappy the snares sound. But yeah, it seems like SE535 won't be my best choice.

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 16
Thanks for the confirmation. I think I can rule out the SE535 now. I can't believe this but I might take a risk with the um3x again, but this time with the non-removable cable version. Or maybe even the W4. I don't really know anymore. Just please don't disappoint me again Westone!

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #6 of 16
I think Sony EX600, EX7550, EX1000, GR10, E-Q7, CK100, JVC FX700, PFE232 and HF5 are better pick for these genres music.

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #8 of 16
I don't think 535 is good for your genres...It doesn't have big sound. IMO it's better with JAZZ, classic. vocal.

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #9 of 16
Great recommendations. I'm trying to stick to the low-profile design since I think that's an important factor in comfort and isolation. The PFE232 looks very interesting, but I'm having a hard time finding a retailer.

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
I think Sony EX600, EX7550, EX1000, GR10, E-Q7, CK100, JVC FX700, PFE232 and HF5 are better pick for these genres music.

Wow, that's quite the collection you have there.... Care to share which one you feel is best for metal, and why? It seems you own some IEM's there which could be considered as contrasting in presentation. For example--  I don't think EX1000 has near the deep bass that the FX700 has, which is not a good thing for metal at all. Yet I thought the FX700 was a bit too harsh in the top end and could get really biting with that genre. What do you find along those lines with your recommendations?

Nov 28, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Wow, that's quite the collection you have there.... Care to share which one you feel is best for metal, and why? It seems you own some IEM's there which could be considered as contrasting in presentation. For example--  I don't think EX1000 has near the deep bass that the FX700 has, which is not a good thing for metal at all. Yet I thought the FX700 was a bit too harsh in the top end and could get really biting with that genre. What do you find along those lines with your recommendations?

Lol our ears hear the exact opposite on these 2 IEMs. I found the EX1000 very harsh and sibilant. The sibilance was so bad that I could never really get to enjoy the presentation. I felt the EX1000s were more aggressive than the FX700s. While the FX700 may be in your face I consider it smooth in comparison to the treble spike in the EX1000.

The FX700s are very good for rock and are generally good on most genres. The mids are very detailed and neutral so it pairs very well with the 601 (timbre is top notch).

Nov 29, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Lol our ears hear the exact opposite on these 2 IEMs. I found the EX1000 very harsh and sibilant. The sibilance was so bad that I could never really get to enjoy the presentation. I felt the EX1000s were more aggressive than the FX700s. While the FX700 may be in your face I consider it smooth in comparison to the treble spike in the EX1000.

The FX700s are very good for rock and are generally good on most genres. The mids are very detailed and neutral so it pairs very well with the 601 (timbre is top notch).

Totally agreed with lee730.
After more than 100 hours burn in, FX700 is much more smooth with the high being less sibilant, while the sound is amazing at  low volume with full body, texture low, mid, high however at high volume it is getting a bit in your face especially with low bit rate source. Currently I find it best when pairing FX700 with HM602, using EQ setting to "user mode" to control 3-6k range. Since everyone has different taste and sound appreciation, my current setting for HM602 EQ is: 60hz=7 300hz=2 1khz=1 3khz=2 6khz=7. At this setting I can listen to rock band such as Bad Company, Dio - Black_Sabbath at high volume (FX700 n HM602 Level 6-7 is too loud for me). FYI the FX700 is much more better paired with HM602 than HM601 I could hear the vocal quality as if it come from Re262.

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #13 of 16
I'm hedging my bets on the W4, but not for metal... I didn't really care for the SE535.
Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation. I think I can rule out the SE535 now. I can't believe this but I might take a risk with the um3x again, but this time with the non-removable cable version. Or maybe even the W4. I don't really know anymore. Just please don't disappoint me again Westone!

Don't expect to receive a reply, all that guy does is spam model names.

Quote:

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #14 of 16
BAs! Etymotic's HF series or UETF10's are quite good

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #15 of 16

When I pair the 601 with my UHA4 it really brings to vocals to life but you got that analog sound as well.
Quote:
Totally agreed with lee730.
After more than 100 hours burn in, FX700 is much more smooth with the high being less sibilant, while the sound is amazing at  low volume with full body, texture low, mid, high however at high volume it is getting a bit in your face especially with low bit rate source. Currently I find it best when pairing FX700 with HM602, using EQ setting to "user mode" to control 3-6k range. Since everyone has different taste and sound appreciation, my current setting for HM602 EQ is: 60hz=7 300hz=2 1khz=1 3khz=2 6khz=7. At this setting I can listen to rock band such as Bad Company, Dio - Black_Sabbath at high volume (FX700 n HM602 Level 6-7 is too loud for me). FYI the FX700 is much more better paired with HM602 than HM601 I could hear the vocal quality as if it come from Re262.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back